The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

PHGDH Inhibitor NCT-503

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community PHGDH Inhibitor NCT-503

Participant
      Does anyone have any insights into any therapies or potential therapies that involve the inhibition of PHGDH via NCT-503?  From my understanding of articles I have found, inhibition of PHGDH (phosphoglycerate dehydrogenase) slows the growth of melanoma. The most effective pharmacologic inhibitor is with NCT-503. (Journal of Investigative Dermatology (2020) Volume 140).

I am curious to know whether if this therapy has been utilized and if so, would it be supplemental to immunotherapy (Opdivo).

The articles I have read are far above my level of education, but what I can understand, it seems like a very promising therapy.

If there is anything that can lower the possibility of metastasis, I’m all for it!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ed williams
        Participant
          Hi Glenn Beck, so after a little reading and digging I will share two articles with you and I would suggest going to the conclusion or discussion sections of the articles. What I found is an interesting target in many cancers in the research department so far but no drug(s) has been developed or tested on humans yet. Maybe in the future but for now it would fall in the big bucket of possible approaches being studied in labs, next step mice and then one day humans. Here are the links. https://www.ijbs.com/v16p1495.htm            https://www.nature.com/articles/s41420-021-00474-4
          Glenn Beck
          Participant
            Thanks, Ed. I had previously found the two articles you linked in your first post. The information is fairly fresh, but I was curious if anyone else had discussions regarding this potential therapy.

I was unaware of the trials referred in your second post. I guess it shows that promising theories do not always produce the results that are sought.

I will continue to search for more information and remain optimistic.

ed williams
              Participant
                The IDO inhibitors were the hot area of research after Ipi+nivo was approved and started an arms race between Merck and Bristol Mayer Squibb with both companies buying smaller companies for big $$$ only to rush from phase one to phase three trials only to find the Merck trial failed and all research was shut down across the board with big $$$ losses!!! The drugs closest to approvals or trial finishing would be Lag-3, NKTR-214 a version of the old IL2 drug, Iovance LN-144 TIL’s program and maybe TLR9 agonist. The next wave after these looks to be bispecifics and ways to get immunotherapy drugs to target without the toxicity or less toxicity. dr. Jason Luke and Dr. Omid Hamid are melanoma experts and if you look them up on Twitter, you will find they are always posting about the latest areas of research in melanoma and other solid tumor types. If you go to Feb.26 post by Jenn Silverman on Dr. Luke’s Twitter account , you will find a really interesting presentation by him. He covers all the areas of research in melanoma in detail. https://twitter.com/jasonlukemd?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
              tim brown
              Participant
                Interesting conversation. I’m nowhere near as well read or knowledgeable as Ed, but I read an interesting criticism of the clinical trial process when the novel checkpoint drug or combo fails, which has sadly been the case recently.
                The writer, a European melanoma researcher / oncologist demanded that the details of the ‘failures’ be made known rather than simply buried so that lessons could be learned.  Pie in  the sky?
            Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics