The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pathology for my initial biopsies

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community pathology for my initial biopsies

Participant

i had posted w questions right after i got my initial pathology reports for my biopsies.  a bunch of you asked that i post the pathology bc it would help you answer my questions.  i dont have a scanner, so im slow.  but this is my original pathology report.  my derm did MOHS and reconstruct… but i am seeking a second opinion bc my derm stopped communicating after the biopsies came back malignant melanoma.  if these reports raise any flags for any reason please let me know.  i am still working w my insurance on getting my second opinion.

i had posted w questions right after i got my initial pathology reports for my biopsies.  a bunch of you asked that i post the pathology bc it would help you answer my questions.  i dont have a scanner, so im slow.  but this is my original pathology report.  my derm did MOHS and reconstruct… but i am seeking a second opinion bc my derm stopped communicating after the biopsies came back malignant melanoma.  if these reports raise any flags for any reason please let me know.  i am still working w my insurance on getting my second opinion. any help with appropriate questions or concerns is greatly appreciated.  i am really concerned bc i see that melanoma survivors are at a much greater risk of breast cancer (that has already taken most of the women in my family).

CLINICAL INFORMATION:

A) r/o dn. m. m.

B) central lesion, r/o dn vs. mmf

DIAGNOSIS:

A) SKIN, LEFT UPPER BACK (BIOPSY)

-MALIGNANT MELANOMA IN-SITU, EXTENDING TO THE

PERIPHERAL MARGINS (SEE COMMENT)

COMMENT:

WITH MULTIPLE STEP SECTIONS IN DEEPER INTO

THE TISSUE, NO FOCAL INVASION OF THE DERMIS IS

IDENTIFIED.

B) SKIN, LEFT UPPER BACK CENTRAL (BIOPSY)

-MALIGNANT MELANOMA OF SUPERFICIAL SPREADING TYPE,

INVASIVE TO A BRESLOW'S DEPTH OF 0.72 MM.,

CLARK'S LEVEL III

-SHOWING NO ULCERATION, A MITOTIC INDEX OF

2 PER MM. SQUARE AND A BRISK TUMOR INFILTRATING

LYMPHOCYTOSIS

-DEMONSTRATING NO LYMPHOVASCULAR INVASION OR

PERINEURAL INVASION OR TUMOR REGRESSION

-EXTENDING TO PERIPHERAL MARGINS

SYNOPTIC REPORT:

SPECIMEN LATERALITY: LEFT

TUMOR SITE: UPPER BACK

TUMOR SIZE: NOT GROSSLY IDENTIFIED

MACROSCOPIC SATELLITE NODULE(S): INTERMEDIATE

HISTOLOGIC TYPE: SUPERFICIAL SPREADING MELANOMA

MAXIMUM TUMOR THICKNESS: 0.72 MM. BRESLOW

ULCERATION: NOT IDENTIFIED

MARGINS: EXTENDING TO THE PERIPHERAL MARGINS

MITOTIC INDEX: 2 PER MM. SQUARE

MICROSATELLITOSIS: NOT IDENTIFIED

LYMPH-VASCULAR INVASION: NOT IDENTIFIED

PERINEURAL INVASION: NOT IDENTIFIED

TUMOR REGRESSION: NOT IDENTIFIED

TUMOR INFILTRATING LYMPHOCYTOSIS: BRISK

LYMPH NODES: NOT APPLICABLE

PATHOLOGIC STAGING (pTNM): NOT APPLICABLE

REPORT NOTES:     KEY PORTIONS OF THIS CASE HAVE BEEN ADDITIONALLY

REVIEWED BY ONE OR MORE DERMATOPATHOLOGISTS

PATHOLOGIST:     Board Certified Dermatology and Dermatopathology

GROSS DESCRIPTION:

A) Specimen, labeled as "L upper back" is received in

formalin and identified as "my name".

The specimen consists of a brown punch biopsy,

measuring 0.2 cm in diameter and 0.5cm in

depth.  The specimen is entirely submitted in one

cassette(s).

B) Specimen, labeled as "l upper back central lesion"

is received in formalin and identified as

"my name".  The specimen consists of a

brown punch biopsy, measuring 0.2 cm in diameter

and 0.5 cm in depth.  The specimen is entirely

submitted in one cassette(s). 

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        CAdesiree
        Participant

i almost forgot… the derm tried to tell me its not possible for one lesion to have 2 different pathologies… but they do… bc both these biopsies were from the same lesion.  i was concerned bc he biopsied the "center" of the lesion, but not the area where the original mole was that changed into said lesion. i hope that makes sense…

Janner
            Participant

These reports don't reveal anything new.  Your depth is 0.72mm and that's what you have to work with. Since he did Mohs, I'm assuming there are no additional pathology reports that could or would show any greater depth.  Most melanoma patients have a wide excision where the tissue can again be analyzed and stained looking for additional depth.  Mohs doesn't really give you that chance.  Even if he did not get the area you said that had most changed, the likelihood of it being significantly different than 0.72 is probably low.  The second biopsy from the edge showing in situ is pretty consistent with most lesions if they were analyzed in separate biopsies like yours. (Many lesions are not big enough to have multiple punch biopsies done – my 3 certainly haven't been).  You don't have two different pathologies – because the deepest one IS your pathology.  The other area was just not as mature yet and doesn't count in the final diagnosis.  You go with what you know.  Breslow 0.72mm, Stage IB.

Best wishes,

Janner

CAdesiree
              Participant

thank you janner.  my derm did NOT tell me that MOHS didnt allow him the chance to know pathology if any different than intial biopsy.  instead when i recv'd the pathology and asked how one lesion could have 2 different pathologies he said it wasnt possible.  that was my first red flag w this derm… bc i was holding report that showed otherwise.  i am fighting with my insurance to get a second opinion… the dr i found is female & specializes w melanoma… my insurance cant figure out if they cover new dr or not… but the cancer center says they take my insurance… i appreciate your help.  thanks again.

Janner
                Participant

"instead when i recv'd the pathology and asked how one lesion could have 2 different pathologies he said it wasnt possible.  that was my first red flag w this derm… bc i was holding report that showed otherwise".

Just want to clarify that you DON'T have 2 pathologies.  You have one.  You might have two reports, but you get ONE stage for each primary lesion and that is the deepest depth found.  So, you get to ignore your in situ pathology report as all melanomas have depth differences as you move outward.  The in situ report is meaningless when you have a second report showing 0.72mm depth so you only use the 0.72mm report.  This is your only pathology.  Don't let the two biopsies confuse you – they don't confuse your doctor (or me :).  While you might have considered it a red flag with the derm, I agree with the doc that you only have one pathology… the deepest.  The red flag that was raised for me was the use of Mohs surgery on an area showing depth and not in a cosmetically significant area.  THAT was my red flag, not two pathology reports – oh, and the fact that this doc can't communicate with you!  Good luck on getting your second opinion!

Janner

CAdesiree
                  Participant

thank you for clarifying.  i am so confused… thats why i joined this group.  that helps alot.

CAdesiree
                    Participant

thank you for clarifying.  i am so confused… thats why i joined this group.  that helps alot.

Janner
                      Participant

"instead when i recv'd the pathology and asked how one lesion could have 2 different pathologies he said it wasnt possible.  that was my first red flag w this derm… bc i was holding report that showed otherwise".

Just want to clarify that you DON'T have 2 pathologies.  You have one.  You might have two reports, but you get ONE stage for each primary lesion and that is the deepest depth found.  So, you get to ignore your in situ pathology report as all melanomas have depth differences as you move outward.  The in situ report is meaningless when you have a second report showing 0.72mm depth so you only use the 0.72mm report.  This is your only pathology.  Don't let the two biopsies confuse you – they don't confuse your doctor (or me :).  While you might have considered it a red flag with the derm, I agree with the doc that you only have one pathology… the deepest.  The red flag that was raised for me was the use of Mohs surgery on an area showing depth and not in a cosmetically significant area.  THAT was my red flag, not two pathology reports – oh, and the fact that this doc can't communicate with you!  Good luck on getting your second opinion!

Janner

CAdesiree
                        Participant

thank you janner.  my derm did NOT tell me that MOHS didnt allow him the chance to know pathology if any different than intial biopsy.  instead when i recv'd the pathology and asked how one lesion could have 2 different pathologies he said it wasnt possible.  that was my first red flag w this derm… bc i was holding report that showed otherwise.  i am fighting with my insurance to get a second opinion… the dr i found is female & specializes w melanoma… my insurance cant figure out if they cover new dr or not… but the cancer center says they take my insurance… i appreciate your help.  thanks again.

Janner
                          Participant

These reports don't reveal anything new.  Your depth is 0.72mm and that's what you have to work with. Since he did Mohs, I'm assuming there are no additional pathology reports that could or would show any greater depth.  Most melanoma patients have a wide excision where the tissue can again be analyzed and stained looking for additional depth.  Mohs doesn't really give you that chance.  Even if he did not get the area you said that had most changed, the likelihood of it being significantly different than 0.72 is probably low.  The second biopsy from the edge showing in situ is pretty consistent with most lesions if they were analyzed in separate biopsies like yours. (Many lesions are not big enough to have multiple punch biopsies done – my 3 certainly haven't been).  You don't have two different pathologies – because the deepest one IS your pathology.  The other area was just not as mature yet and doesn't count in the final diagnosis.  You go with what you know.  Breslow 0.72mm, Stage IB.

Best wishes,

Janner

CAdesiree
                          Participant

i almost forgot… the derm tried to tell me its not possible for one lesion to have 2 different pathologies… but they do… bc both these biopsies were from the same lesion.  i was concerned bc he biopsied the "center" of the lesion, but not the area where the original mole was that changed into said lesion. i hope that makes sense…

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics