The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Path Report and questions: Lentigo Maligna Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Path Report and questions: Lentigo Maligna Melanoma

Participant
      Hello all, I am new to melanoma, but have had a few BCCs and MOHs procedures in my time. I am seeking your wisdom and experience.

History of this newly diagnosed melanoma:
      During full body scan August, 2019. Derm noted unusual pink spot on right forearm, took a photo of it, and said if it’s not a “bug bite” and doesn’t heal up we’ll watch it.
      I kept an eye on it all winter: flat, pink, a little patchy, not huge.

Fast forward to March, 2020: Over four weeks it seemed to become pinker, raised now (puffy with a palpable lump), with a distinct and tiny “bug bite” hole at the top of it. Went in last week, derm said it didn’t seem to have changed much, but would do a shave biopsy cause she would be really surprised now if it wasn’t a BCC or SCC. I said, what if it’s a melanoma? Would a shave then not be indicated? She said due to COVID19 situation, and of not wanting me to chance virus exposure coming in for a second treatment visit next week, and because she would bet her life on it being a BCC or SCC she’d go ahead with a shave and then an ED and C (electrodessication and cutterage) to finish it off so I wouldn’t have to come back in again. Of course, I said OK (I have seen this derm for 25 years and she’s never steered me wrong).
      Pathology report:
      Clinical Data: A: Morphology: erythematous indurated plaque
      Diagnosis: Rt Prox Dorsal Forearm MELANOMA, BRESLOW’S MAXIMUM THICKNESS 0.2MM, TRANSECTED BY A PERIPHERAL EDGE.

SYNOPTIC REPORT
      PROCEDURE: BIOPSY, SHAVE
      SPECIMEN LATERALITY AND TUMOR SITE: RIGHT PROXIMAL DORSAL FOREARM
      GROSS TUMOR SIZE: NOT INDICATED
      HISTOLOGIC TYPE: LENTIGO MALIGNA
      BRESLOW’S DEPTH: 0.2MM
      ULCERATION: PRESENT, BUT LIKELY TRAUMATIC
      CLARK’S LEVEL: II
      MITOITC RATE: 0/mm SQUARED
      MICROSATELLITOSIS: INDETERMINATE
      LYPHOVASCULAR INVASION: NOT IDENTIFIED
      TUMOR INFILTRATING LYMPHOCYTES: PRESENT, NON-BRISK
      REGRESSION: NOT IDENTIFIED
      PRECURSOR LESION: NOT IDENTIFIED
      PERIPHERAL AND DEEP MARGINS: PERIPHERAL MARGINS INVOLVED, DEEP MARGIN UNIVOLVED
      STAGE: pT1a

Multiple levels reveal an elongated specimen which is focally ulcerated and covered by fibrinopurulent crust, associated with dermal collagen degeneration. There is a broad and irregular proliferation of hyperchromatic and pleomorphic melanocytes in a confluent pattern along the junction focally within the papillary dermis at a thickness of 0.2,,. There is severe solar elastosis. There is a patchy lymphohistiocytis infiltrate.

Questions for anyone who can speak to this: Lentigo maligna melanoma is a pretty rare subtype that usually arises from a brown, spreading patch. Mine was small, and pink and did not present typically, hence my dermatologist’s shock when she had to call me with the news.

1) Anyone out there with a lentigo maligna melanoma that presented atypically? If so, what was your experience?

1a) Also curious about “Desmoplasic Melanoma” and its association with Lentigo Maligna Melanoma, if you have any experience (as that is an amelanotic presentation…my pink lesion? that has gone undiagnosed???)

2) What does ULCERATION PRESENT, BUT LIKELY TRAUMATIC mean in the scheme of things?

3) Was this able to be staged because the pathologist was able to read the deep margin, even though it was a shave biopsy?

4) Do you think that ED and C treatment after the shave biopsy messed up my clinical path much?

Any and all comments, including your general interpretation, on this path report and your experience will be helpful. Of course, I will be talking with my doc soon, but wanted to get this board’s collective wisdom.

Thanks,
      Sarah
      Scheduled for MOHS surgery, late April.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        SarahBug
        Participant
          An update: Original path report confirmed by 2nd opinion by tumor board of major hospital. Had successful Mohs surgery — which is indicated for amelanotic lentigo maligna melanoma. I look forward to getting on with life and don’t expect a recurrence of this tumor. Thank you to this board, and its “search” function, for access to good information to become a good self-advocate as I navigated from the diagnosis phase through treatment. Not many folks experience amelanotic lentigo maligna melanoma, and even though it presents differently its prognosis, when caught early, is the same as any other type. I wish all of you well.
      Viewing 0 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics