The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

panicked for no reason (hopefully)

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community panicked for no reason (hopefully)

Participant
      I had my first primary removed august 5th 2013, and have been cancer free ever since. Supposed to have skin checks every 6 months, but I slack on them terribly. They kinda suck and are embarrasing, for me anyway…maybe it was just my dr.
      Anyway, even though I slack on seeing the derm, my hubby checks my body for moles regularly.
      Two nights ago he said the words I never wanted to hear…you have two new moles (near my original primary less than 6in away) and one looks asymmetrical and is two different colors. My kids are home on spring break for another week, but I’m going to try and get into the dr when they go back to school, but please tell me I’m panicking for no reason and that everything is fine. i know it may not be but I need reassuring words…this time is really bothering me, and has my stomach in knots.

Thanks guys.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        ldub
        Participant

Read Janner's reply to Ashlee12 "freaking out a little" which was recently posted on the forum (I think today or yesterday).  It is excellent and I believe also applies to your situation.  Janner has great perspective and helps calm those of us who borrow worry (me included).  As I mentioned in another post, I also had a new mole, asymmetrical with two colors, that was found to be just atypical – so, not cancer.  Though my situation does not apply to yours specifically, it just highlights the fact that until there is a biopsy, you can't assume it is melanoma just because it looks weird.  Odds are in your favor.   Doesn't mean you shouldnt get it checked!  Go to the dermatologist and take care of business.  As always – early detection is key if it does turn out to be something (which it probably isn't).

ldub
          Participant

Read Janner's reply to Ashlee12 "freaking out a little" which was recently posted on the forum (I think today or yesterday).  It is excellent and I believe also applies to your situation.  Janner has great perspective and helps calm those of us who borrow worry (me included).  As I mentioned in another post, I also had a new mole, asymmetrical with two colors, that was found to be just atypical – so, not cancer.  Though my situation does not apply to yours specifically, it just highlights the fact that until there is a biopsy, you can't assume it is melanoma just because it looks weird.  Odds are in your favor.   Doesn't mean you shouldnt get it checked!  Go to the dermatologist and take care of business.  As always – early detection is key if it does turn out to be something (which it probably isn't).

ldub
            Participant

DeborahG
              Participant

Derm checks are definitely not the most fun; however, after having 2 kids myself, I am no longer embarrassed by anything related to doctors.  While you are having your husband check you out, it is really important to have a doctor do so as well.

DeborahG
                Participant

Derm checks are definitely not the most fun; however, after having 2 kids myself, I am no longer embarrassed by anything related to doctors.  While you are having your husband check you out, it is really important to have a doctor do so as well.

DeborahG
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics