The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ocular side effects to tafinlar/mekinist

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Ocular side effects to tafinlar/mekinist

Participant
      I’ve been searching the forum and unable to find any posts here about the apparently less common ocular side effects to tafinlar/mekinist.

I began tafinlar (solo) in mid-April 2015 as a result of multiple brain mets. The tumors responded well and I remained on tafinlar only, had gamma knife which was also successful. Then over the summer of 2015 the side effects began to accumulate – primarily thickening of my foot soles (making walking painful) and then in late August, a very painful uveitis in one eye.

At this point I learned that the ocular side effects are so rare, my oncologist had only had one other patient experience them, and in their case it presented totally differently, and in both eyes simultaneously. My ophthalmologist, of course, had never had a patient experiencing uveitis secondary to cancer treatment.

I got the uveitis under control, and started mekinist, which I think has mitigated the skin side effects, and even though I had two more cases of uveitis, they were not as severe.

Now, after months of treatment with Prednisone eye drops (and now, beta blockers to bring down the pressure in my eyes, which was elevated by the Prednisone), I am about to stop using the Prednisone drops (at my own insistence – my ophthalmologist is understandably wpried about my stopping).

My vision has returned to 20/20. The pressure is still elevated (in fact, it has increased), but I’m hoping that the combo of tafinlar and mekinist will keep me from experiencing another painful bout of uveitis.

I have access to medical literature, so periodically I look for new papers on the subject, but I just wanted to check in here to see whether there might be any others like me, and what your course of treatment has been.

Thanks,
      Deborah

My melanoma/life blog: ill-live.com

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        marta010
        Participant

Deborah – over the past two years, my husband has had several bouts with Uveitis while on Tafinlar (he has not tolerated Mekinist).  He used Durozol steroid drops while the inflamation was at it's worst.  Once under control, he continues to use Prednisolone eye drops (1 drop each eye once a day) as a maintenance treatment.  His opthomologist has seen a few other cases of treament induced uveitis in other melanoma patients.  Not sure why you want to discontinue Prednisolone as this seems a very minor treatment to maintain your eye health, especially with your eye pressure increasing.  Do you have other concerns about the impact on your overall treatment?

Ann

wasserd
            Participant

Thanks, Ann.

According to my ophthalmologist, the increased eye pressure is actually caused by the prednisone drops. And, extended use of the prednisone drops can eventually result in cataracts. So, now that the uveitis has been under control for some time, I'm going to go off the prednisone drops and see what happens. My vision is now back to 20/20, which is also great, but in the interest of not possibly developing cataracts, I'm trying to do without the prednisone. If I start to develop uveitis again, naturally I'll go back on the drops.

With the combination of Tafinlar and Mekinst, I have found the side effects much less intense than when I was on Tafinlar alone. (I also had painful thickening of the soles of my feet last year, and that is completely gone now.)

wasserd
              Participant

Thanks, Ann.

According to my ophthalmologist, the increased eye pressure is actually caused by the prednisone drops. And, extended use of the prednisone drops can eventually result in cataracts. So, now that the uveitis has been under control for some time, I'm going to go off the prednisone drops and see what happens. My vision is now back to 20/20, which is also great, but in the interest of not possibly developing cataracts, I'm trying to do without the prednisone. If I start to develop uveitis again, naturally I'll go back on the drops.

With the combination of Tafinlar and Mekinst, I have found the side effects much less intense than when I was on Tafinlar alone. (I also had painful thickening of the soles of my feet last year, and that is completely gone now.)

wasserd
                Participant

Thanks, Ann.

marta010
                Participant

Deborah – over the past two years, my husband has had several bouts with Uveitis while on Tafinlar (he has not tolerated Mekinist).  He used Durozol steroid drops while the inflamation was at it's worst.  Once under control, he continues to use Prednisolone eye drops (1 drop each eye once a day) as a maintenance treatment.  His opthomologist has seen a few other cases of treament induced uveitis in other melanoma patients.  Not sure why you want to discontinue Prednisolone as this seems a very minor treatment to maintain your eye health, especially with your eye pressure increasing.  Do you have other concerns about the impact on your overall treatment?

Ann

marta010
                  Participant

Ann

ed williams
                    Participant

Hi Deborah, take a look at the post from 2/26/2016 by Snoopyinoc, Bubbles(Celeste) has a link to a presentation by 2 leading Oncologist where they talk about typical side effects of patients on Immunotherapies and targeted therapies. Hope it helps!!! Ed

wasserd
                        Participant

Thank you!

Bubbles
                          Participant

Here's the link I think Ed was referring to:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

Various occular side effects do occur with both immunotherapy and BRAFi….they can include uveitis, retinitis, corneal perforation, photosensitivity, problems with the optic nerve, etc.  Most are treated with steriods and a break in dosing.  With the BRAFi treatments….alternate dosing (like meds every third day or some such) and/or a dose reduction can be very helpful.

Hope this helps.  c

Bubbles
                            Participant

Here's the link I think Ed was referring to:  http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/09/side-effects-and-how-to-manage-them-in.html

Various occular side effects do occur with both immunotherapy and BRAFi….they can include uveitis, retinitis, corneal perforation, photosensitivity, problems with the optic nerve, etc.  Most are treated with steriods and a break in dosing.  With the BRAFi treatments….alternate dosing (like meds every third day or some such) and/or a dose reduction can be very helpful.

Hope this helps.  c

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hope this helps.  c

wasserd
                                Participant

Thank you!

wasserd
                                  Participant

Thank you!

ed williams
                                  Participant

Hi Deborah, take a look at the post from 2/26/2016 by Snoopyinoc, Bubbles(Celeste) has a link to a presentation by 2 leading Oncologist where they talk about typical side effects of patients on Immunotherapies and targeted therapies. Hope it helps!!! Ed

ed williams
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics