The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nodule in stomach

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Nodule in stomach

Participant

Hi, 

I am Stage IIIb (primary on left forearm 8 years ago; left axillary dissection with melanoma in one lymph node in September 2009) and two weeks ago had my 2nd PET/CT scan since I ended radiation therapy in January.  The scan was clear, but my blood work showed a drop in my hemoglobin.  I had been complaining of stomachaches to my oncologist 2 months ago, so he decided to send me for an endoscopy, which I had today.

Hi, 

I am Stage IIIb (primary on left forearm 8 years ago; left axillary dissection with melanoma in one lymph node in September 2009) and two weeks ago had my 2nd PET/CT scan since I ended radiation therapy in January.  The scan was clear, but my blood work showed a drop in my hemoglobin.  I had been complaining of stomachaches to my oncologist 2 months ago, so he decided to send me for an endoscopy, which I had today.

The endoscopy showed erosive gastritis, and a 2 cm submucosal antral nodule.  They are going to send me for an ultrasound to check out the nodule.  But if it was malignant, wouldn't it have lit up in the scan?  It's 2 cm, so not exactly small.  I'm a little confused as to why it didn't show up in the PET/CT scan.   Has anybody else had this happen?  Should I be worried? 

Thanks for any replies, 

Pekoe (Vera)

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kevin from Atlanta
        Participant

I looked around to see if the PET portion is weak in the stomach. It appears that PET would have lit up if it is maligant.

http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/26/1/143.figures-only

Kevin from Atlanta
          Participant

I looked around to see if the PET portion is weak in the stomach. It appears that PET would have lit up if it is maligant.

http://radiographics.rsna.org/content/26/1/143.figures-only

Rebecca and Bob
            Participant

Pekoe,

My husband had mets in his intestine that were not picked up by CTSCAN but were picked up by PETSCAN. Then he had surgery. I would have to say it seems it would have been picked up by the PET..

Good luck hope it's some benign something going on.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
              Participant

Pekoe,

My husband had mets in his intestine that were not picked up by CTSCAN but were picked up by PETSCAN. Then he had surgery. I would have to say it seems it would have been picked up by the PET..

Good luck hope it's some benign something going on.

Rebecca

Pekoe
                Participant

Thank you for your responses!  I think the PET scan would have picked it up as well, if malignant.  I wonder if there's a point to doing the ultrasound, then. 

Well, I'm going to stop worrying about it until next week, so I can enjoy my long weekend!  Have a great weekend, everybody. 

Vera

Pekoe
                  Participant

Thank you for your responses!  I think the PET scan would have picked it up as well, if malignant.  I wonder if there's a point to doing the ultrasound, then. 

Well, I'm going to stop worrying about it until next week, so I can enjoy my long weekend!  Have a great weekend, everybody. 

Vera

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics