The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nodular Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Nodular Melanoma

Participant

Are nodular melanomas raised or are they flat?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

A nodule is a raised growth. So nodular melanoma would be raised up, not flat like superficial spreading melanoma which is the most common form.

matthew111
            Participant

How raised does a mole have to be to be nodular melanoma?

jennunicorn
              Participant
                If you’re trying to figure out if you have melanoma, I don’t think it really matters what kind, just get it checked out. If you’be been diagnosed but wondering if yours was nodular, I’d ask your derm their opinion. Mine was flat in the beginning and one side started to raise up and looked like a scab but wasn’t considered nodular melanoma.
              GeoTony
              Participant

Just to be different I had a superficial spreading melanoma which I didn't pick up until the raised nodular melanoma in the middle appeared

Jeff_in_FL
                Participant

Mine started out as a small, flat, black dot. I actually thought it was from a permanent marker. This was around Christmas. By March, it was domed, perfectly round, and 8mm (about 1/4") across. Absolutely no doubt that this wasn't normal. Nodular Melanoma. 

matthew111
                    Participant

Jeff how raised would you say your mole was?

Jeff_in_FL
                      Participant

I would say it was "slightly" raised …just kind of a dome. I think I would have actually gone to have it looked at if it had been more raised than it was. That's the dangerous thing about this type of Melanoma; doesn't usually become overly raised, and not too large in diameter. It grows down instead. Anyway, that's what I was told.

matthew111
                        Participant

How many millimeters would you say your mole was across when it first started?

Jeff_in_FL
                          Participant

It was non-existent, and grew over time. If you took a permanent marker (Sharpie), and put a dot on your skin, that is what it looked like when I first noticed it. I remember thinking, "I don't remember that tiny black mole being there before", but it grew from that to 8 mm (a little over 1/4") in diameter in less than three months. Definitely noticed that!

matthew111
                            Participant

If I have a black mole that has not grown in size in 3 months does that mean it is not melanoma?

jennunicorn
                              Participant

The only way to know if something is melanoma is through a biopsy. Looks alone don't diagnose. If this mole has caused these questions in your mind, then it's time to see a dermatologist and have a professional take a look.

AliCat61
                              Participant

Hub's melanoma was a very slightly raised red bumpy area spreading across his face, Honestly, it looked like nothing more than irritated skin. But it was new and different. First time we asked primary care doc about it, he blew us off. The following year I put my foot down and insisted on biospy. It was nevoid malignant melanoma, nodular. Get it checked, please.

Zay95
                                Participant
                                  Any new pigment/growth in the skin should be checked to rule out melanoma. I’ve had new black raised mole appeared and really freaked out that it might be nodular melanoma, but it was completely benign. In most cases they are benign but defentliley anything new should be checked.
                              Viewing 4 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics