The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Next step after biochemo

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Next step after biochemo

Participant
      I haven’t posted for a little while but just a quick recap, my brother has received biochemo at the Sheba Centre in Israel for liver and brain mets. His brain mets were treated with SRS in August. He has an unknown primary with suspected mucosal melanoma. He has now completed five cycles and has had a partial response, last MRI was clear and the liver mets reduced by about 80%. He is feeling really well, back at work and exercising. He is BRAF and CKit negative.
      His Oncologist is now recommending ipilimumab as the next step. I would like to hear from any of you who have gone onto ipilimumab after biochemo, I was thinking he would continue on IL2 low dose as maintanance but maybe this is only if you have a CR, we have lots of questions to ask next week but any advice would be great. Tracey
    Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        jag
        Participant

Glad to hear that your brother responded to biochemotherapy.  To me it sounds like they are virtually the same.  One study showed that survival increased over time with maintenance biochemotherapy for many patients an average of 1.5 years.  Ipi on the other hand has a better long term remission rate.  I would go the Ipi route if it were me.   

jag
          Participant

Glad to hear that your brother responded to biochemotherapy.  To me it sounds like they are virtually the same.  One study showed that survival increased over time with maintenance biochemotherapy for many patients an average of 1.5 years.  Ipi on the other hand has a better long term remission rate.  I would go the Ipi route if it were me.   

jag
            Participant

Ali
              Participant

I had a partial response to high dose IL-2 and then we tried IPI (plus Temodar for brain tumors)… My immune system went crazy, tumors started shrinking the first week.  Hope for something similar for you guys. 

Ali
                Participant

I had a partial response to high dose IL-2 and then we tried IPI (plus Temodar for brain tumors)… My immune system went crazy, tumors started shrinking the first week.  Hope for something similar for you guys. 

Ali
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics