The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Newly Diagnosed – SLNB?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Newly Diagnosed – SLNB?

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Zap_.
    Participant

Hi everybody,

39y.o. male living in Asia. Have been newly diagnosed with mm on the right side of my back, close to the waist. 

The report looks like this.

– Malignant melanoma
      – Max. Horizontal size of tumor 0.2cm
      – Breslow Tumor depth 0.1cm
      – Clark’s Level IV
      – Deep Resection margin clearance 0.3cm
      – Nearest Peripheral margin clearance 0.1cm
      – Mitotic Activity 3.8 per square mm (9/10 HPFs)

Biopsy was made on the 9th of April. Got the results back on April the 18th. Surgeon ordered a PET-CT scan. Now, after doing my homework, it does not seem to be a standard procedure for this stage. Glad that I did it though and it was clean besides a small swollen node on my right knee which both radiologist and surgeon agreed to be low risk (low intake activity, less than 1cm and bypassing the groin nodules would be unlikely). Surgeon suggest WLE and biopsy of the swollen node, plus removal of two other moles (low risk as well).

My question is about SLNB. Doctor said no need at this stage. Seems as well that the standard procedure is NOT to do SLNB for 1mm Breslow, but after my readings I have noticed that Clark’s Level IV and high Mitotic Rate increase the risk of positive SLNB in thin and 1mm melanoma, and many doctors recommend to do so.  1mm is quite close to TII as well. Still Doctor suggest not to do it and just observe after the WLE, but obviously leaves the decision to me.

Very few people to talk to with experience on this, so before making my decision would like to know the opinion of people who have gone through it, or know better than me.

I understand the decision is only mine to make, but would appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks in advance, this forum has been one of the best sources for me so far.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hi Anon,

Sorry you are dealing with this.  It sounds as though your lesion is right at the edge of the latest recommendations.  You could be justified in reasoning to do…or not to do…the SLNB.  Here is a post that covers the latest guidelines with several links to other articles and commentary about SLNB in general:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2017/12/sln-biopsy-delay-of-40-days-what-plus.html  

When looking these over, be aware that many things…from treatment options to standards of care…have changed dramatically in the past 7 years in melanoma.  Still, things are often far less definitive than we would like.  Therefore, you will have to choose what sounds most reasonable and right for you.

I wish you my best.  Celeste

Zap_
            Participant

OP here,

Thanks a lot for the info Celeste. I do appreciate all the help. Have been reading your blog before and has been an extremely helpful source of resources, had not found the post you are sharing here though, so thanks for that.

Did not make my decision yet, looking for a second opinion from a doctor back home. Is difficult being "lost in translation" when dealing with something like this.

majahops
            Participant

To be honest, if it were me, I'd ask for the SLNB. If they found a positive node, I'd ask for adjuvant immunotherapy, ideally in a trial evaluating (anti-PD1 + anti-IDO). I truly believe that in general immunotherapy is more effective with lower burdens of disease. That is my argument for doing SLNB – because it allows for treatment at a lower burden of disease. Best of luck to you!!!

majahops
                Participant

I should specify that my own preference for anti-PD1 + anti-IDO in the setting to low volume node-only mets is based on the compromise between likely slightly less benefit in exchange for likely slightly less toxicity versus anti-PD1 + anti-CTLA4. It's still very much an experimental approach. The much more important point I meant to make is that if I had disease beyond the primary lesion/mole, I'd want to know it earlier, because unlike with chemotherapy, I do truly believe that immunotherapy is on average more effective with lower volume of disease.

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hi Majahops,

I see you are new to the forum, so welcome!!!  I presume you are aware of the closure of the ECHO 301 trial:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=IDO+inhibitor  

I was not aware of a currently recruiting trial administering IDO inhibitors combined with anti-PD-1 for Stage III melanoma patients.  I could find only these listed:  https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=Melanoma+Stage+III&term=IDO+inhibitor&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=  

In fact, I can find no active/recruiting studies administering an IDO inhibitor with anti-PD-1 for Stage IV melanoma patients.  You are correct that we have learned that immunotherapy works best with the lowest possible tumor burden and I have had high hopes for the anti-IDO inhibitors when combined with immunotherapy.  Please let us know what trial option you are referring to.

Thanks.  Celeste

majahops
                    Participant

Celeste, thanks for the warm welcome. Again, I was only stating what would be on my "wish list." However, some of the trials that seem to be still open for Immunotherapy + IDO inhibitors include ECHO-203, ECHO-208, ECHO-202, NLG2107, NCT02073123 (not sure about the status of the last one). Other approaches that seem interesting include targeting TIM-3 and LAG-3. However, again, those are not anywhere near approved approaches. And again, that was just my "stage 3 wishlist." If I had stage IV melanoma, unless my PD-L1 was ETREMELY high, I would not mess around and would want Ipi + Nivo.

majahops
                      Participant

Also, I want to tell you that your material is phenomenal and you are an amazing advocate. Very, very inspiring.

Bubbles
                        Participant

Thanks.  And thanks for the info on the IDO studies…however….

ECHO 203 and 208 are for advanced solid tumors…not necessarily for melanoma and certainly not for Stage III.  ECHO 202 is recruiting and gives pembro with an IDO inhibitor to melanoma patients, and while it is a bit unclear, it seems currently available to those who are refractory with confirmed progressive disease.  Cool, NLG2107 is available for non-resectable or metastatic melanoma, though getting Indoximod is not a sure thing.  And the trial NCT02073123 was posted in 2014…but has not posted data, doesn't seem to be recruiting, and it was last updated in 2016. 

I guess we just have to be careful with what we recommend and to whom.  Folks who don't even know if they are Stage III yet already have a lot on their plate.   celeste

majahops
                          Participant

Point taken. I'm new to this. Definitely appreciate it.

ed williams
                            Participant

Just wanted to add to the Pembro + Ido trial part of the conversation, my understanding is the echo 202- keynote -037 trial led to the phase 3 trial called Echo-301/ keynote-252 which just failed to meet progression free survival goal and has been terminated. So, I would think that Merck has probably stopped all pembro+ ido trials, not 100% sure on last point, they do tend to find ways to recycle things.  See link below for update on phase 3 trial, and a second point is Ipi/Nivo is only available to a stage 3 patient via trial at this point or advanced stage 4 so kind of jumping the gun to bring it up to some one who isn't sure of staging yet. It is great that you want to be helpful but it is really important to try and be as acurate as possible. If you don't mind me asking what is your melanoma history since you didn't fill in your bio history section?https://www.onclive.com/web-exclusives/pembrolizumab-combo-fails-in-melanoma

Zap_
                              Participant

OP here,

Thanks as well for your opinion. honestly, I did get a little bit lost with all the info below (still rading and checking), but do appreciate your opinion about the SLNB.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics