The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to f

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community New to f

Participant

Hello, All,

I am Chris, a 68 year old married male musician living in western upstate NY & brand new to this site.  Diagnosed with mucosal melanoma in the maxillary sinus six months ago in May and quickly joined an expanded access c. trial at Dana Farber in Boston with the Ipi/Nivo dual infusion therapy.  Severe side effects (esp. thyroiditis and hepatitis) forced me out after only two infusions requiring me to spend the rest of the summer recovering from the s. effects.  Began a new course of Pembrolizumab (Keytruda) in Sept and hope this will show some positive results eventually.  Would be interested to hear stories from other m. melanoma patients about their treatments, progress and outlook.  Thanks in advance for welcoming me in here!   

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Gene_S
        Participant

Welcome to the group but sorry to hear you had to join here Chris.

I just wanted to tell you sometimes on the weekends things are a bit slow so don't be saddened by the slow response as it is usually a responding group.

My husband does not have mucosal melanoma but if you would like to read about him you can check out his profile.  He was diagnosed in January of 2008, became Stage IV in 2010, started a clinical trial in Mar. 2011 and became NED (no evidence of disease) in Oct. of 2012 up to this date.  So he has been NED for 3 years.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED)

Gene_S
          Participant

I just wanted to tell you sometimes on the weekends things are a bit slow so don't be saddened by the slow response as it is usually a responding group.

My husband does not have mucosal melanoma but if you would like to read about him you can check out his profile.  He was diagnosed in January of 2008, became Stage IV in 2010, started a clinical trial in Mar. 2011 and became NED (no evidence of disease) in Oct. of 2012 up to this date.  So he has been NED for 3 years.

Gene_S
            Participant

kylez
              Participant

Hi Chris,

Wow, those are some powerful side effects that you're been put through and came through. I hope the Pembro acts less extreme.

I've been able to dodge high grade immunotherapy side effects so far. Mostly I got joint pain, maybe something like arthralgia, for awhile on my current treatment (Opdivo+Lirilumab). Previously I got high-dose IL2 treatment in 2010, and Yervoy in 2011.

Hope it goes well, and good luck and welcome.

– Kyle 

kylez
                Participant

Hi Chris,

Wow, those are some powerful side effects that you're been put through and came through. I hope the Pembro acts less extreme.

I've been able to dodge high grade immunotherapy side effects so far. Mostly I got joint pain, maybe something like arthralgia, for awhile on my current treatment (Opdivo+Lirilumab). Previously I got high-dose IL2 treatment in 2010, and Yervoy in 2011.

– Kyle 

kylez
                  Participant

Hi Chris,

– Kyle 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics