The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New here with a diagnosis

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New here with a diagnosis

Participant

Hi everyone! 

I’m new here, just got the call on Monday. I’ve learned so much  since yesterday reading thru all of your posts. I wish I had know more when I asked my GP to take a mole off last week. He did the basic biopsy (scrape I think it called).  I regret that but I’m also happy that I actually went in to have it removed. It’s been nagging at me for awhile. Anyway…. my question is about the pathology report.  Since it wasn’t a biopsy done by a fern, ate the results not as complete? I’ll copy and paste the results here. I’m just worried about it being worse that it shows on this report. I realize the Breslow could be deeper but is the rest of it reliable?  Here is the report….

Histologic sections demonstrate a shave biopsy of
      – skin with an atypical melanocytic proliferation
      – with epidermal and dermal components. Within the
      – epidermis, severely atypical melanocytes are seen
      – in nests and as scattered solitary cells. There
      – is both confluence of cells along the
      – dermal-epidermal junction and pagetoid spread of
      – single cells. The tumor extends inferiorly from
      – the base of the epidermis in small budding nests.
      – The tumor also extends down the adnexa. Focally,
      – atypical melanocytes are also identified within
      – the dermis.
      F A DIAGNOSIS   WZV
      – Malignant melanoma, 0.6 mm (see synoptic report).
      F A COMMENT   WZV
      – SYNOPTIC REPORT:
      – Procedure: biopsy
      – Laterality: left
      – Tumor site: wrist
      – Tumor size: not provided
      – Histologic type: malignant melanoma, superficial
      – spreading type
      – Maximum tumor thickness (Breslow depth): 0.6 mm
      – Clark level: II
      – Ulceration: not identified
      – Macroscopic satellite nodules: not identified
      – Regression: not identified
      – Lymphovascular invasion: not identified
      – Neurotropism: not identified
      – Margins: positive; melanoma in situ focally
      – involves the superficial edge of the shave
      – Mitotic rate per sq mm: 0
      – Microsatellitosis: not identified
      – Pathologic stage:
      – TNM descriptors: not applicable
      – Primary tumor: pT1a
      – Regional lymph nodes: pNX
      – Distant metastasis: cannot be assessed

I have an appointment tomorrow for the WE

Thank you!! 

Karmen

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        cancersnewnormal
        Participant

Happy to read that final line about the wide excision appointment. You'll get a second pathology report following that. Good catch by you and your doctor to take that one off!

karmendowell
            Participant

THank you! Trying to learn as much as possible. I  was reading about Estrogen and Melonoma….just had my pellets re-done right before this happened. Now I'm freaking out even more. Not like I can stop taking them. I wonder if I can get them removed! LOL!

cancersnewnormal
              Participant

LOL…. I keep telling my husband how unfair it is to have had to deal with stage IV melanoma and still get my "monthly fertility reminder". ha! I'm 49 now… my son is 27. I've been done with these pieces parts for 27 years. I'm throwing a big ol' party when menopause is finally officially in place. HA HA HA! 

Viewing 0 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics