The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Growth and Pain

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community New Growth and Pain

Participant

My husband received his second round of yervoy ten days ago after a new lump popped up under the skin of his neck and another one began to grow agian.  Since then, the two tumors have changed shape, size, gotten harder, softer, etc and I understand that all of this could be because of the yervoy and that it will take some time to know if it is working.  A couple days ago he got up and said his jaw had hurt during the night.  Yesterday I noticed new growth along the jaw line. I could see it acrosss the room.

My husband received his second round of yervoy ten days ago after a new lump popped up under the skin of his neck and another one began to grow agian.  Since then, the two tumors have changed shape, size, gotten harder, softer, etc and I understand that all of this could be because of the yervoy and that it will take some time to know if it is working.  A couple days ago he got up and said his jaw had hurt during the night.  Yesterday I noticed new growth along the jaw line. I could see it acrosss the room.  It's hard as a rock and last night he couldn't sleep because of the jaw pain.  I'm worried sick.  I know it's melanoma growing again and I'm afraid it will take off like it did last summer when it grew everyday until things reached gigantic proportions before beginning treatment.  You can check my profile if you need more information.  We are waiting for a call from his doctor.  He is braf and cKit negatice, NRAS positive but ineligible for clinical trials because of a secondary primary lung cancer that was treated in October.  Carbo/Taxol failed and I don't know what else can be done for him.  He had to go the chemo route initially because things were growing so fast and the only other treatment mentioned at that time was IL2, which the doctor said he couldn't handle.  Maybe he can now, I don't know.  Any ideas on other options and what we should be asking the doctor?  If this takes off like it did last summer we won't have much time to get things taken care of.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        G-Samsa
        Participant
          I don’t know whether this helps at all. My experience with the Yervoy– is that the tumors in my skin responded noticeably right away. I kept feeling them changing shape in my neck and head…Dr. Thought that was a good thing– showed that I was responding. These tumors eventually went away. My bone mets have shown themselves to be particularly resistant …. And while the scans show shrinkage they remain painful. I am in the process of having radiation therapy on the most painful of these in my femur and pelvis. I’ve been told that radiation may even have a secondary benefit of improving the effectiveness of the Yervoy. Trials to demonstrate this are in the planning stage from what I understand.
          G-Samsa
          Participant
            I don’t know whether this helps at all. My experience with the Yervoy– is that the tumors in my skin responded noticeably right away. I kept feeling them changing shape in my neck and head…Dr. Thought that was a good thing– showed that I was responding. These tumors eventually went away. My bone mets have shown themselves to be particularly resistant …. And while the scans show shrinkage they remain painful. I am in the process of having radiation therapy on the most painful of these in my femur and pelvis. I’ve been told that radiation may even have a secondary benefit of improving the effectiveness of the Yervoy. Trials to demonstrate this are in the planning stage from what I understand.
            G-Samsa
            Participant
          Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics