The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Diagnosis- Need Help with understanding!

Forums General Melanoma Community New Diagnosis- Need Help with understanding!

Participant

Final Diagnosis [Microsopic]:  Right axilla, biopsy- A.Metastatic melignant neoplasm involving lymph node, immunohistochemically consistent with metastatic melanoma. An infiltrate of malignant cells that show strong positivity for S100 and SOX-10 is identified.  Can someone please help me with this as far as what stage this might be! I have no clue what all this means.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kmiles
        Participant

Agree probably 3a.  I am a 3a as well.  I have had my complete lymph node dissection after the SLND was positive on both sides.  My right side showed a 3mm tumor.  The left was 1mm.  My complete showed no additional cancer.  I wish you good luck if you do the complete node dissection and I wish you no additional cancer.  

Kmiles
          Participant

Agree probably 3a.  I am a 3a as well.  I have had my complete lymph node dissection after the SLND was positive on both sides.  My right side showed a 3mm tumor.  The left was 1mm.  My complete showed no additional cancer.  I wish you good luck if you do the complete node dissection and I wish you no additional cancer.  

vince1962
              Participant

This was not a SLND my lymph nodes under my arm are the size of a lemon, and have been for about 18 months! This is not the primary, We believe that the primary is on my back, have a mole that bleeds alot and about six inches from the mole is a nodule about the size of a quarter thats red and itches like crazy, being that the nodes are not the primary won,t that make a differance in the stage?

Janner
                Participant

WIth an unknown primary, it is assumed that the primary was "local" to that lymph node basin.   Stage III is assumed.  With a primary on your back and involved lymph nodes under the arm, that is again local to that lymph basin or considered "regional" disease — also stage III.  No assuming where the primary is.  It moves to stage IV when you go beyond the local lymph node basin or it is seen in organs or other areas of the body.

Janner
                  Participant

WIth an unknown primary, it is assumed that the primary was "local" to that lymph node basin.   Stage III is assumed.  With a primary on your back and involved lymph nodes under the arm, that is again local to that lymph basin or considered "regional" disease — also stage III.  No assuming where the primary is.  It moves to stage IV when you go beyond the local lymph node basin or it is seen in organs or other areas of the body.

Janner
                    Participant

vince1962
                      Participant

Why is it when you type in metastatic malignant melanoma in the search bar on this site its all about stage 4 

vince1962
                        Participant

Why is it when you type in metastatic malignant melanoma in the search bar on this site its all about stage 4 

vince1962
                          Participant

Janner
                            Participant

Probably because there isn't much in the way of treatment options for stage III.  It's metastatic at stage III or stage IV.  Local at stage 0/1/2.

vince1962
                              Participant

Oh ok, just want to say thank you all for the comments to the questions I have

vince1962
                                Participant

vince1962
                                  Participant

Kristen
                                    Participant
                                      Hi Vince. If they only found a few microscopic nodes in your sentinel node, tand not anywhere else, you would be 3a. Make sure you research microscopic mode ininvolvement. Studies have shown that your prognosis is better with minimal lymph node involvement. I am also the same stage. I had a pet scan and also a node dissection that were both clear. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible. Your prognosis is better than 3a with macro involvement. Let me know if you have any questions. I can send you some things I have researched.
                                      Kristen
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Vince. If they only found a few microscopic nodes in your sentinel node, tand not anywhere else, you would be 3a. Make sure you research microscopic mode ininvolvement. Studies have shown that your prognosis is better with minimal lymph node involvement. I am also the same stage. I had a pet scan and also a node dissection that were both clear. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible. Your prognosis is better than 3a with macro involvement. Let me know if you have any questions. I can send you some things I have researched.
                                        Kristen
                                        Participant
                                          Kristen
                                          Participant
                                            Hi Vince. If they only found a few microscopic nodes in your sentinel node, and not anywhere else, you would be 3a. Make sure you research microscopic mode ininvolvement. Studies have shown that your prognosis is better with minimal lymph node involvement. I am also the same stage. I had a pet scan and also a node dissection that were both clear. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible. Your prognosis is better than 3a with macro involvement. Let me know if you have any questions. I can send you some things I have researched.
                                            Kristen
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Vince. If they only found a few microscopic nodes in your sentinel node, and not anywhere else, you would be 3a. Make sure you research microscopic mode ininvolvement. Studies have shown that your prognosis is better with minimal lymph node involvement. I am also the same stage. I had a pet scan and also a node dissection that were both clear. Make sure you educate yourself as much as possible. Your prognosis is better than 3a with macro involvement. Let me know if you have any questions. I can send you some things I have researched.
                                              Kristen
                                              Participant
                                                Kristen
                                                Participant
                                                  Kristen
                                                  Participant
                                                    Kristen
                                                    Participant
                                                      Janner
                                                      Participant

Probably because there isn't much in the way of treatment options for stage III.  It's metastatic at stage III or stage IV.  Local at stage 0/1/2.

Janner
                                                        Participant

vince1962
                                                          Participant

This was not a SLND my lymph nodes under my arm are the size of a lemon, and have been for about 18 months! This is not the primary, We believe that the primary is on my back, have a mole that bleeds alot and about six inches from the mole is a nodule about the size of a quarter thats red and itches like crazy, being that the nodes are not the primary won,t that make a differance in the stage?

vince1962
                                                            Participant

Kmiles
                                                            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics