The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need infos on PD1

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Need infos on PD1

Participant

HI All,

I have Mucosal Melanoma in LaryngoPharynx + stable tiny nodules in Lungs area and Summary of my treatment  are as below:

– Undergone removal of larynx surgery 

-3 cycles of DTIC+Cisplatin+vinblastine – Not a good response

-2 Doses of Yervoy and failed to respond

-Radiation to reduce the pain

-8 cycles of IL-2 and it gave some positive response but it did not last for long. After stopping the medicine for 1 month, the disease reappeared again now.

Now looking at PD-1 as the option to go, as my Dr suggests this new medicine. We have few questions about PD-1

– What is the normal dose to be given. Is it 2 mg/Kg?

– Any idea about the price. As i live in India, i may need to import it

– What is the normal treatment period. For how many months we need to use that.

– Is it effective for Mucosal melanoma

– I am BRAF negative, Will that be a concern to take PD-1

Please help to provide the answers. It should be of great help.

Thanks,

Murugesan

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        arthurjedi007
        Participant

The pd1 I believe you are referring to is recently known as keytruda in the USA since the FDA approval. Formerly it was pembroluminab. This is Merck's PD1. Yes it is 2mg per kg of body weight per dose. I believe the price was set at $12,500 per dose. It is administered every 3 weeks. Before the 5th dose you would want to scan to see hopefully some awesome results. There is no concern being BRAF negative. If you get awesome results then stay on it of course as long as it keeps working or up to 2 years. I'm not aware they have compiled data with it on mucosal compared to the other melanomas.

There is also Nivolumab PD1 which is by Bristol-Myers. The same company that made Yervoy. It is available in Japan and approved by that government. I'm not aware of much more about it.

Also the people on the international forum might be able to help better with how to get it in India. They are at this website: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=0a3f138f75fe749471552efdc3902d81

Hope that helps.

Artie

Bubbles
            Participant

Artie,

You rock.  Good advice.  Best to you both!  Celeste

Bubbles
              Participant

Artie,

Bubbles
                Participant

Artie,

arthurjedi007
                Participant

The pd1 I believe you are referring to is recently known as keytruda in the USA since the FDA approval. Formerly it was pembroluminab. This is Merck's PD1. Yes it is 2mg per kg of body weight per dose. I believe the price was set at $12,500 per dose. It is administered every 3 weeks. Before the 5th dose you would want to scan to see hopefully some awesome results. There is no concern being BRAF negative. If you get awesome results then stay on it of course as long as it keeps working or up to 2 years. I'm not aware they have compiled data with it on mucosal compared to the other melanomas.

There is also Nivolumab PD1 which is by Bristol-Myers. The same company that made Yervoy. It is available in Japan and approved by that government. I'm not aware of much more about it.

Also the people on the international forum might be able to help better with how to get it in India. They are at this website: http://forum.melanomainternational.org/mif/viewforum.php?f=54&sid=0a3f138f75fe749471552efdc3902d81

Hope that helps.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Hope that helps.

Artie

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Murugesan,

I also have mucosal melanoma and will be glad to talk with you.

AS Artie mentioned, there are no statistics regarding anti-PO-1 immunotherapies and mucosal melanoma.  BRAF mutations are a minority in the mucosal melanomas.  We are more likely to have either C-kit or NRAS.    

PD-1 as a ageneral purpose immunotherapy may well have a positive effect agaiinst any of the mucosal melanoma DNA mutatiopns.  It should show if it is working fairly fast and take the extreme length of time that Yervoy (Ipi) can take of up to one year to show if it is working. 

I have the c-kit oncoprotein over-expression.  The over-expression test can be run in two days at any decent local laboratory.  If you are positive for the c-kit over expression, then you should also obtain the test for the c-kit DNA mutations.  They were unable to determine my DNA mutation since my melanoma's are so black.  My Oncologist went ahead and prescribed Gleevec (Glivec) (Imatinib Mesylate) for my extremely aggressive melanoma. My melanoma wa stabilized within 30 days!   5 1/2 years later it is still stable.  Imatinib mesylate is a cytostatic which may not iduce apoptoses of the cancer cells but is quite likely to stop the C-kit mutaion sell from multiplying.  See http://www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/imatinib.htm

The price in the USA for my 800 mg/day is $13,500 a month.  i understand that since India has generics for it, that the price over there is under $600 a year!   It is likely that the Imatinb mesylate will turn c-kit melanoma intop a chronic disease that is controlled.  I would suggest to get the c-kit over-expression test iommediately..

f you go the PD-1 rout, I would appreciate it if you keep me  informed of what is goingon with the treatment.

Sincerely

JerryfromFAuq

Bubbles
                        Participant

Hang in there, Jerry! Good info on your particulars.  Artie was right. No diff in results from BRAF – or +.  However, I haven't seen any results that break out mucosal responses.  Best, c

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hang in there, Jerry! Good info on your particulars.  Artie was right. No diff in results from BRAF – or +.  However, I haven't seen any results that break out mucosal responses.  Best, c

Bubbles
                            Participant

Annalive
                              Participant

HI JERRY,  wow! Thanks for the informative post.  I am curious about the oncogene protein test.  I have a BRAF-pos St 3? Met/Mel… Is there a broad range panel  test for onco genes? How does one know what to test for?  I have Onco and Naturopathic Onco. I have used hyperthermia, nutritional protocols, surgery and most recently Tomotherapy.  I have never used the "designer drugs," (I say that because of their price,) they have for us.  Wishing you the BEST…. we are each a clinical trial of one.  I had Mel 22 years ago.  It went dormant for 20 years then re-emerged.  Go figure?  Aloha, Ann

Annalive
                                Participant

HI JERRY,  wow! Thanks for the informative post.  I am curious about the oncogene protein test.  I have a BRAF-pos St 3? Met/Mel… Is there a broad range panel  test for onco genes? How does one know what to test for?  I have Onco and Naturopathic Onco. I have used hyperthermia, nutritional protocols, surgery and most recently Tomotherapy.  I have never used the "designer drugs," (I say that because of their price,) they have for us.  Wishing you the BEST…. we are each a clinical trial of one.  I had Mel 22 years ago.  It went dormant for 20 years then re-emerged.  Go figure?  Aloha, Ann

Annalive
                                  Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Murugesan,

AS Artie mentioned, there are no statistics regarding anti-PO-1 immunotherapies and mucosal melanoma.  BRAF mutations are a minority in the mucosal melanomas.  We are more likely to have either C-kit or NRAS.    

PD-1 as a ageneral purpose immunotherapy may well have a positive effect agaiinst any of the mucosal melanoma DNA mutatiopns.  It should show if it is working fairly fast and take the extreme length of time that Yervoy (Ipi) can take of up to one year to show if it is working. 

I have the c-kit oncoprotein over-expression.  The over-expression test can be run in two days at any decent local laboratory.  If you are positive for the c-kit over expression, then you should also obtain the test for the c-kit DNA mutations.  They were unable to determine my DNA mutation since my melanoma's are so black.  My Oncologist went ahead and prescribed Gleevec (Glivec) (Imatinib Mesylate) for my extremely aggressive melanoma. My melanoma wa stabilized within 30 days!   5 1/2 years later it is still stable.  Imatinib mesylate is a cytostatic which may not iduce apoptoses of the cancer cells but is quite likely to stop the C-kit mutaion sell from multiplying.  See http://www.medindia.net/doctors/drug_information/imatinib.htm

The price in the USA for my 800 mg/day is $13,500 a month.  i understand that since India has generics for it, that the price over there is under $600 a year!   It is likely that the Imatinb mesylate will turn c-kit melanoma intop a chronic disease that is controlled.  I would suggest to get the c-kit over-expression test iommediately..

f you go the PD-1 rout, I would appreciate it if you keep me  informed of what is goingon with the treatment.

Sincerely

JerryfromFAuq

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Murugesan,

Sincerely

JerryfromFAuq

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics