The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nasal Mucosal Melanoma

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Nasal Mucosal Melanoma

Participant

Hi,

I'm a new Nasal Mucosal Melanoma patient. Disease free 3 months out after 2 sinus surgeries. Currently undergoing 30 treatments of radiation.

Any other Nasal Mucosal Melanoma patients in here? I know it is rare, and I have done my research on it.

I am hoping to be in the 25% that survive 5 years or more. 4 years and 9 months to go to prove it!

Live life and enjoy what you have!

Aloha!

my story ~~~

marcuscancervive.tumblr.com

Hi,

I'm a new Nasal Mucosal Melanoma patient. Disease free 3 months out after 2 sinus surgeries. Currently undergoing 30 treatments of radiation.

Any other Nasal Mucosal Melanoma patients in here? I know it is rare, and I have done my research on it.

I am hoping to be in the 25% that survive 5 years or more. 4 years and 9 months to go to prove it!

Live life and enjoy what you have!

Aloha!

my story ~~~

marcuscancervive.tumblr.com

Viewing 16 reply threads
    • Replies
        hbecker
        Participant

Marcus, I love your attitude! Keep it up!

~Hazel

hbecker
          Participant

~Hazel

hbecker
            Participant

~Hazel

aldakota22
              Participant

Sorry that you are now a member of this forum. Great bunch of people who will offer advise & opinions .Keep your PMA (positive mind attitude) for it is a major weapon against melanoma. Keep us updated on your treatment .Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
                Participant

Sorry that you are now a member of this forum. Great bunch of people who will offer advise & opinions .Keep your PMA (positive mind attitude) for it is a major weapon against melanoma. Keep us updated on your treatment .Beat the Beast. Al

aldakota22
                  Participant

jyc
                    Participant

Hiya Marcus, your story sounds a whole lot like my father's.  His cancer was discovered after a nosebleed and nasal blockage too back in 2007 by his ENT.  He had follow up consultation and surgery at MDAnderson to get clean margins and also to remove lymphnodes after one started to swell soon after his first surgery.  He too received an aggressive course of radiation to his nose and neck area following his surgery.  We've essentially been in an endless cycle of monitoring ever since at MDAnderson going from visits every 2 months, 4 months and 6 months for the last 6 years.  However in March this year we had a setback and discovered a new local tumor in his nose after getting a checkup for what we thought was seasonal dry nose issues.  We went back to MDAnderson immediately, got more scans, got more surgery, more clear margins and are starting the monitoring process again back at every 2 months.  The surgeon thinks the tumor was caught very early. The clinical oncologist called this a local recurrence and is recommending a "watch and wait" strategy since the tumor was resected.  Back to basics I call it.  Be vigilant and aware of the warning signs.

jyc
                      Participant

Hiya Marcus, your story sounds a whole lot like my father's.  His cancer was discovered after a nosebleed and nasal blockage too back in 2007 by his ENT.  He had follow up consultation and surgery at MDAnderson to get clean margins and also to remove lymphnodes after one started to swell soon after his first surgery.  He too received an aggressive course of radiation to his nose and neck area following his surgery.  We've essentially been in an endless cycle of monitoring ever since at MDAnderson going from visits every 2 months, 4 months and 6 months for the last 6 years.  However in March this year we had a setback and discovered a new local tumor in his nose after getting a checkup for what we thought was seasonal dry nose issues.  We went back to MDAnderson immediately, got more scans, got more surgery, more clear margins and are starting the monitoring process again back at every 2 months.  The surgeon thinks the tumor was caught very early. The clinical oncologist called this a local recurrence and is recommending a "watch and wait" strategy since the tumor was resected.  Back to basics I call it.  Be vigilant and aware of the warning signs.

jyc
                        Participant

Kim K
                          Participant

Aloha from HI as well.  I live in Hilo.

Hope all goes well and you are in the 25% club.  Nasal / mucosal mel is rarer so it may take a while before you meet others in a similar situation as you.  

Was your mass tested for C-KIT mutaions?  More common with mucosal mel and why it may not respond as well to some of the drugs you will see commonly posted about.  There are some C-KIT pathway blockers / inhibitors that work better for C-KIT mutations, anti PD1 or anti PDL1 drugs, and Ipi will work by unleashing your immune system and are good cards to have in your back pocket if needed.

Who is your onc there?  I see Dr. Palalay & Morita.

I am 3 years NED from stage IV mel.  I was originally diagnosed as IIA in 2002.

Just remember, even though you live on a rock in the middle of the Pacific, you have access to great medical care, even in HI.  I underwent my lung VATS surgery and IL-2 at Queen's.  I am soooo happy I was able to be treated at home, but was willing to travel if needed.

Best of luck, kick Mel's A$$.

Kim K
                            Participant

Hope all goes well and you are in the 25% club.  Nasal / mucosal mel is rarer so it may take a while before you meet others in a similar situation as you.  

Was your mass tested for C-KIT mutaions?  More common with mucosal mel and why it may not respond as well to some of the drugs you will see commonly posted about.  There are some C-KIT pathway blockers / inhibitors that work better for C-KIT mutations, anti PD1 or anti PDL1 drugs, and Ipi will work by unleashing your immune system and are good cards to have in your back pocket if needed.

Just remember, even though you live on a rock in the middle of the Pacific, you have access to great medical care, even in HI.  I underwent my lung VATS surgery and IL-2 at Queen's.  I am soooo happy I was able to be treated at home, but was willing to travel if needed.

Kim K
                              Participant

KentuckyWoman
                                Participant

I am also newly diagnosed and looking for others to share and learn with.  Looks like we are in this thing alone as there is so little to go by.  Let me know how your treatment goes and what other options your docs come up with and I wll share my info with you as well.  Good luck and when we hit five years we need to PARTY!!!

Your place or mine!

KentuckyWoman
                                  Participant

I am also newly diagnosed and looking for others to share and learn with.  Looks like we are in this thing alone as there is so little to go by.  Let me know how your treatment goes and what other options your docs come up with and I wll share my info with you as well.  Good luck and when we hit five years we need to PARTY!!!

Your place or mine!

KentuckyWoman
                                    Participant

Your place or mine!

hawaii marcus
                                      Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Thanks for searching the boards here, I did the same when I came upon this forum. First of all, I hope you are doing well! A positive attitude goes a long way, YOU have cancer, but cancer does not have YOU!

I have posted many resources on my blog, http://www.marcuscancervive.tumblr.com on the right side of the page, you should be able to click on a "Mucosal Melanoma Resources" to see more links.  You are welcome to read my blog, which by now (only 3 months) is very long.

I am not aware of how good a care you are able to get in Kentucky, I have never been, but I hope you are starting with good insurance and a good hospital! Stay informed and please use a support of family and friends to help you deal with this, it's going to be a wild ride!

Life could be better, and could be worse, but just enjoy what you have and make everyday count!

Aloha! Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                        Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Thanks for searching the boards here, I did the same when I came upon this forum. First of all, I hope you are doing well! A positive attitude goes a long way, YOU have cancer, but cancer does not have YOU!

I have posted many resources on my blog, http://www.marcuscancervive.tumblr.com on the right side of the page, you should be able to click on a "Mucosal Melanoma Resources" to see more links.  You are welcome to read my blog, which by now (only 3 months) is very long.

I am not aware of how good a care you are able to get in Kentucky, I have never been, but I hope you are starting with good insurance and a good hospital! Stay informed and please use a support of family and friends to help you deal with this, it's going to be a wild ride!

Life could be better, and could be worse, but just enjoy what you have and make everyday count!

Aloha! Marcus

Becky
                                          Participant

I love your attitude too! My son has another rare melanoma (oral, tongue) with similar stats…and he is almost 4 years NED!

I checked out your blog, cute family (i have 3 boys too)

Hang in there!!

Becky

Becky
                                            Participant

I love your attitude too! My son has another rare melanoma (oral, tongue) with similar stats…and he is almost 4 years NED!

Hang in there!!

Becky

Becky
                                              Participant

Hang in there!!

Becky

hawaii marcus
                                                Participant

Thanks!

hawaii marcus
                                                  Participant

Thanks!

hawaii marcus
                                                    Participant

Thanks!

hawaii marcus
                                                      Participant

Thanks everyone for positive encouragement! 

JYC – you're right, sounds very similar. I am only on beginning of this journey, but feel educated and prepared thanks to the internet and also connecting to people that have experience with this disease. I appreciate you sharing about your father, and I hope he is doing well.  I can only pray that I get to see my children graudate school one day. My 2 boys are only 13 and 8 this year.  So I plan on fighting this for a long time!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                        Participant

JYC – you're right, sounds very similar. I am only on beginning of this journey, but feel educated and prepared thanks to the internet and also connecting to people that have experience with this disease. I appreciate you sharing about your father, and I hope he is doing well.  I can only pray that I get to see my children graudate school one day. My 2 boys are only 13 and 8 this year.  So I plan on fighting this for a long time!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                          Participant

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                            Participant

hi Kim K,

Thanks for the support. I also see Palalay! Great doctors here at Queen's.

I am C-KIT and BRAF negative.  Good news is there is no chemo for this type, bad news is that might not be good!

Congrats on being NED, that's terrific!

Keep fighting!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                              Participant

hi Kim K,

I am C-KIT and BRAF negative.  Good news is there is no chemo for this type, bad news is that might not be good!

Keep fighting!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                                Participant

hi Kim K,

Keep fighting!

Aloha!

hawaii marcus
                                                                  Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Aloha! Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                                                    Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Aloha! Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                                                      Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Aloha! Marcus

hawaii marcus
                                                                        Participant

Hi KentuckyWoman,

Aloha! Marcus

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics