The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Story So Far

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community My Story So Far

Participant

So, I turned up at the walk in clinic, Aug 2014, with an annoying mole that was now itching, I suffer from eczema so itching skin is normal, this wasn't responding to the normal eczema cream. Dr Cruz took a needle biopsy and this is where my journey started, it turned out to be melanoma, this was followed by a WLE and SLNB, Dr White and Dr Biberdorf were excellent, they took 5 lymph nodes and I was left with 29 staples. Margins were clear and all lymph nodes were clear, so I met my Dermatologist, Dr Kenny who explained that I had superficial spreading melanoma with a nodule (the more worrying portion), 3.9mm deep and was lucky as everything was clear. He would physically monitor me for the next few years at 3 month intervals, so this became part of my normal routine, every 3 months Dr Kenny would examine me from head to toe for dodgy moles. The first sign that everything was not ok was approximately one year later with the rapid appearance ( this came up within a couple of days) of a small hard lump on one of my left ribs, the needle biopsy was negative for melanoma, it was put down as a small hematoma, which did shrink back after a couple of weeks. However in August 2016 this re-appeared along with a nearby swollen lymph node, this time the biopsies confirmed melanoma, I was now officially Stage III. What followed over the next few months was a flurry of appointments, hospital visits, scans and testing. Initially I was prepped for a lymphadenectomy with Dr Biberdorf, however following the PET scan I moved up to Stage IV with the discovery of multiple 'hot spots/tumours' in my liver, lungs, potentially bones (sternum and a couple of vertebrae) and surgery was no longer an option. So I opted for the biggest stick available, turned down the Kertuda option in Victoria, BC and we relocated to Vancouver, BC, lucked out on accommodation and I started on the extended access clinical trial for Ipi/Nivo on the 1st December 2016 under the superb guidance of Dr Kerry Savage and her team. I managed to work through the first round, some minor issues with skin and fatigue. The second round knocked me for six, it was a memorable Christmas and New Year with severe fatigue, pneumonitis and skin issues, a bright red back from neck to waist. Dr Savage prescribed prednisone, 75mg, wow did it work, everything cleared within a few days and I was now flying, however I missed my Ipi/nivo third round, it took a month to wean me off the cortosteriods and I collected another expert for my team, Dr Bourdain the Pulmonologist who is now monitoring my lungs, regular pulmonary testing, X-Ray and CT. So round four of the trial happened mid February with no significant issues, my 3 month scan occurred a week after the Ipi/nivo infusion and showed good results, overall reduced tumour load, so I moved onto the maintenance schedule of nivo every 2 weeks, all going well until my heart attack!
      Yup, I suffered a heart attack. It appeared as severe heartburn, sore left elbow and tingling fingers over about 20 mins. It happened to be the day before an infusion so I was at the cancer agency between bloodwork and onc consult. I mentioned it in my consult meeting, Dr Savage arranged for me to visit emergency and I was admitted and left 2 days later with a stent, bag of additional drugs and a new expert on the team, Dr Tsang, Cardiologist. As you can imagine it was a lot more involved, but the bottom line is the heart issue is not related to the clinical trial, it's down to a partially blocked artery, apparently my cholesterol of 5.2 was more of an issue than I appreciated, despite normal blood pressure, 120/80, resting heartbeat of 65 and regular exercise, gym most days, walking regularly and cycling up to 120km per week, who knew. I happened to be in the right place when it occurred and I'm now back on the trial bandwagon having missed one maintenance infusion. My 2 month scans are due next week, along with my cardiology consult and my next infusion, so it's full steam ahead.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

What a journey so far Tony! So glad the heart attack was found and taken care of, so scary. 

I also had eczema prior to treatment… and it's been pretty difficult dealing with the constant flare ups, it is way worse now than it ever was before. Mine only shows up on the palms of my hands and fingers, but it's sooo easy to scratch and ends up being pretty painful sometimes. I use a steroid ointment.. but I can't be lathered up on my hands all the time. Just wondering what your experience has been with your eczema since starting treatment? 

Wishing you the best on your upcoming scan. 

AliCat61
          Participant

Hi, Tony!  Wow! You have really been through it! I almost said welcome to the forum, but it feels strange to welcome someone to a group that no one would ever voluntarily choose to join. Under the circumstances, you couldn't be in a better place. You will find this to be a very caring, comforting community. It's a blessing to have a good pulmonologist as part of your team. We're still working on that. My husband had pneumonia that was written off as pneumonitis (a side effect) and not treated for over a month. The cancer team still won't acknowledge that it was actually pneumonia but we're certain that it was as it responded well to antibiotic treatment and the fever went away within 24 hours of treatment. He has asthma which complicates things and is experiencing extreme shortness of breath, so a good pulmonologist is on our wish list. Good luck with the upcoming scans and infusion, Please keep us posted!

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics