The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My plans for Melanoma Monday 5/6/13

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community My plans for Melanoma Monday 5/6/13

Participant

Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

I just can't seem to say goodbye to everyone on this board.  I keep on coming back.  Thought I could not visit that often since my brother died in 12/2012. from this enemy called melanoma.  My experience with my brother's battle with melanoma has changed me forever.  A part of me died when he died.  Everyday I think of him, Everyday I cry for what happened to him and others on this forum.  This may sound crazy but when I read some of the stories about all the warriors fighting on this forum, I am almost relieved he does not have to deal with the pain and suffering anymore.  Hope he is in a better place fishing, smoking his cigars, eating without having a monster mass interfering with his entire GI tract, and walking without difficulty anymore.

My heart breaks from the stories I read on this forum.  I just don't know what to say but I try and post at least something even if its a prayer.

I don't like to see anyone make a post and not one reply..vs..some posts get many replies.  Its not fun battling this alone in life let alone on a support group forum when we are all in the same boat.  Unfortunately , I think of this beast melanoma everyday…all the time and I almost feel I have it…I may have it some day…who knows.  I also want people to know that this is just not " skin cancer"  melanoma is different.  As I said in some of my previous posts, medical professionals are stunned when I tell them about melanoma….where it can occur, ABCDE's are not a guarantee…maybe amelanotic….???  not just the skin…but mucous membranes…mouth, sinus, anus, vagina, internal organs as primary spots.  With that said, I am starting my "decorations" for Melanoma Monday and Skin cancer awareness month.  I went online and some things…shirts, pins, banners…are sooooo overpriced.  I am on a budget just like many of us these days.  So what I did was design my own shirt for my angel brother, bought black banners and black ribbon for my front yard, and a poster broadcasting melanoma awareness.  I live on a kind of busy street so it will get attention.  I bought all  of this from Michael's and Ac Moore craft stores using a minimal amount of money.  It will look great and send the message that I am trying to say.  I love to decorate my yard for the holidays and now this month will be extra special….and probably my favorite.

I have to make a post separate from this…there are some of you I need to thank for your reply to my brothers death notice on this forum.

Just to name …..Nahmi, Tina D, NYkaren, snickers60, JoshF, Josh, Cate, Fen, Vivian, BrianP, Aldakota22, swanee, jakeinNY

I can't thank you all enough for those kind posts….I meant a lot to me.  I won't forget you all.

Hope some of you are making plans for melanoma monday…love to hear them.

Love to all

Susan…sister of Peter 12/6/2012.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Hi Susan – thanks are never necessary on this board.  I know what you mean about posts that don't get replies – most of the time they are specific questions that only a few can answer.

I know it hasn't been long since you lost your brother, but you might want to work with a local group when you feel able.  We're working on Miles for Melanoma in the Quad-Cities which is in two weeks.  Last year we sent 15K to MRF to support research.  When I read posts about wonderful people adversely affected by melanoma I feel awful –  frustrated and angry –  I realize that I can't fix that situation, but I can help in some small way by making resources available to researchers.

Your awareness plan sounds wonderful.  

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Hi Susan – thanks are never necessary on this board.  I know what you mean about posts that don't get replies – most of the time they are specific questions that only a few can answer.

I know it hasn't been long since you lost your brother, but you might want to work with a local group when you feel able.  We're working on Miles for Melanoma in the Quad-Cities which is in two weeks.  Last year we sent 15K to MRF to support research.  When I read posts about wonderful people adversely affected by melanoma I feel awful –  frustrated and angry –  I realize that I can't fix that situation, but I can help in some small way by making resources available to researchers.

Fen

Fen
            Participant

Fen

washoegal
              Participant

Susan,

Thanks for the post!  And what a great one it was.  If at all possible would you please post a picture of your front yard.  I keep trying to get our local health department to do something and my derm who is a larg group in a town of only 60,000 to help but no luck so far.  Maybe you could even email me a picture of your front yard, I'd love to post it on my facebook page (I try not to get preachy about melanoma but this would be nice). email is  [email protected]

Thanks,

Mary

Stage 3

deardad
                  Participant

Hi Susan,

I also can't leave this site. This was a crucial source of information and a wonderful support for me. Where I can, I hope to support other caregivers on their journey.

Take care and all the best.

Nahmi

deardad
                    Participant

Hi Susan,

I also can't leave this site. This was a crucial source of information and a wonderful support for me. Where I can, I hope to support other caregivers on their journey.

Nahmi

deardad
                      Participant

Hi Susan,

Nahmi

washoegal
                      Participant

Susan,

Thanks for the post!  And what a great one it was.  If at all possible would you please post a picture of your front yard.  I keep trying to get our local health department to do something and my derm who is a larg group in a town of only 60,000 to help but no luck so far.  Maybe you could even email me a picture of your front yard, I'd love to post it on my facebook page (I try not to get preachy about melanoma but this would be nice). email is  [email protected]

Thanks,

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                        Participant

Susan,

Thanks,

Mary

Stage 3

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics