The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My husband has metastatic melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community My husband has metastatic melanoma

Participant

What a road this has been. My husband has metastatic melanoma (lung, brain, subcutaneous). He has done 2 rounds of Ipi, had Gamma Knife x 3, and just completed whole brain radiation. (He had "at least" 28 brain tumors on his last MRI)

He has an appt. next week to discuss possible Anti PD-1 therapy. He will have to wait a minimum of 30 days, generally recommended 8 weeks for MRI to see if his brain tumors have recurred. So, for now, we are in "Limbo", the so called gray area. We know his prognosis is not good.

I have asked the Cancer Center to refer my daughter and myself for counseling. I'm so numb, I don't feel anything. I HAVE to be strong for my husband and daughter. I know the gates will open eventually. The uncertainty is nerve wracking. This consumes me 24/7. I can't think of anything else, it is always looming in the back of my mind. I have no motivation, no energy, no desire to do anything. Many friends have reached out to me, but I just do not have the desire to do anything.

Some friends have organized a benefit for our family this week end, and I know this will be very difficult.  It's so hard to beleive a year ago how optimistic the dr's. were and how well he was doing. He has recently lost 20 lbs, lost his hair (radiation), very pale. He has that "cancer" look. 

I pray everyday for strength to keep going. I'm exhausted, but I think of my husband and what he is going through, and realize he is facing his own mortality. I can not even imagine what he is feeling.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        DUSTILANE
        Participant

Virginia, I can truly understand what you are going thru.  My husband also has mestatic melanoma, although not as bad as yours.  I don't know what I would do without the prayers of my family, church family, and friends.  I could not make it if it weren't for the strength that God gives me.

But there are times when I have myself a pity party and just set down and cry. 

I hope he gets to do the Anti PD-1 treatment soon. 

I will keep you both in my prayers.

DUSTILANE
          Participant

Virginia, I can truly understand what you are going thru.  My husband also has mestatic melanoma, although not as bad as yours.  I don't know what I would do without the prayers of my family, church family, and friends.  I could not make it if it weren't for the strength that God gives me.

virginia washburn
              Participant

Thank you so much, and I will you and yours!

I have had a couple of pity parties too. Sometimes I feel as if I'm going to explode, and it's all coming forward. But, I just can't see to let it all out.

virginia washburn
                Participant

I have had a couple of pity parties too. Sometimes I feel as if I'm going to explode, and it's all coming forward. But, I just can't see to let it all out.

virginia washburn
                  Participant

DUSTILANE
                  Participant

onestitchatatime
                    Participant

Oh, I am so sorry.  My husband and I are just starting this journey and he is so far Stage 1 and I'm thinking about it 24/7 as well.  I can only imagine how hard it is for you.  It is so scary.  I hope you will get counseling so you will have someone to talk with and a neutral person you can "let it all out" with.  Someone you feel you do not have to hold back with.  

I haven't looked into it yet but my friends who are facing serious health situations with their loved ones really have benefited from support groups.  It seems to me that it would be good to be with others in the same place to feel less alone.

onestitchatatime
                      Participant

Oh, I am so sorry.  My husband and I are just starting this journey and he is so far Stage 1 and I'm thinking about it 24/7 as well.  I can only imagine how hard it is for you.  It is so scary.  I hope you will get counseling so you will have someone to talk with and a neutral person you can "let it all out" with.  Someone you feel you do not have to hold back with.  

I haven't looked into it yet but my friends who are facing serious health situations with their loved ones really have benefited from support groups.  It seems to me that it would be good to be with others in the same place to feel less alone.

onestitchatatime
                        Participant

tcell
                          Participant

Virginia, I am sorry for what you are going through.

My daughter is only 1.5 years old, I was diagnosed with stage IV 3 months ago.

Sometime when my wife and I had time together in hospital I said to her that The only thing that is really positive that I can see at the moment is that it hit me, not her.

You are right in saying that you cannot imagine to face your own mortality and how your husband feels. On the other hand The ones suffering from it cannot imagine what their loved ones are going through. I imagine it to be at least as tough to see your loved ones suffer as it is to suffer with somebody you love without being able to physically help!

You maybe would not imagine that just being there with him and for him is all that is needed!

Take care of yourself!

Chris

tcell
                            Participant

Sometime when my wife and I had time together in hospital I said to her that The only thing that is really positive that I can see at the moment is that it hit me, not her.

You are right in saying that you cannot imagine to face your own mortality and how your husband feels. On the other hand The ones suffering from it cannot imagine what their loved ones are going through. I imagine it to be at least as tough to see your loved ones suffer as it is to suffer with somebody you love without being able to physically help!

You maybe would not imagine that just being there with him and for him is all that is needed!

Take care of yourself!

Chris

virginia washburn
                                Participant

Chris,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. You are right, all I can do is "be there" for him. Even with all the mood swings, which is a lot right now, because of the radiation and high doses of steroids. I don't know what to expect or how he is going to be from one minute to the next. He can be very loving and caring, tearful, to a beast, mean and angry in a split second. 

This is so hard on everyone. He says to me all the time how sorry he is that our daughter and I are having to go through this, "ya'll didn't sign up for this". But I tell hime when I said "I do", I did sign up for it. 

All we can do is pray for everyone to have strength and courage to 'get through it", because that is what we are doing.

I wish you all the best. Spend as much time with that sweet little girl, write letters, take a lot of pictures, be silly and LOVE her!

Take care.

Virginia

virginia washburn
                                  Participant

Chris,

I'm so sorry you are going through this. You are right, all I can do is "be there" for him. Even with all the mood swings, which is a lot right now, because of the radiation and high doses of steroids. I don't know what to expect or how he is going to be from one minute to the next. He can be very loving and caring, tearful, to a beast, mean and angry in a split second. 

This is so hard on everyone. He says to me all the time how sorry he is that our daughter and I are having to go through this, "ya'll didn't sign up for this". But I tell hime when I said "I do", I did sign up for it. 

All we can do is pray for everyone to have strength and courage to 'get through it", because that is what we are doing.

I wish you all the best. Spend as much time with that sweet little girl, write letters, take a lot of pictures, be silly and LOVE her!

Take care.

Virginia

virginia washburn
                                    Participant

Chris,

Take care.

Virginia

tcell
                                    Participant

Take care of yourself!

Chris

eturner
                                      Participant

Hi, Virginia 

My name is Emily and this is the first post I have ever replied to. My husband has had stage 4 since sept.2013, its in his bones and lung. 

The feelings you are having.. I have them as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm shuting everyone out to decrease the pain I feel. 

My husband is 33 years old and we have a 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Sometimes I get made at myself for feeling sorry for myself. I have my good days and my bad days. It truly is a "rollercoaster"  when it comes to melanoma, and the waiting is the worst.

Learning to cope and helping my children cope has become my life and my goal.

Feel free to email me anytime or on FB ( Emily Ryder Turner ) πŸ™‚

You and your husband and daughter will be in my prayers.

Emily Turner

virginia washburn
                                          Participant

Thank you Emily. Same here FB( Virginia Washburn). What state are you in?

virginia washburn
                                            Participant

virginia washburn
                                              Participant

eturner
                                              Participant

Hi, Virginia 

My name is Emily and this is the first post I have ever replied to. My husband has had stage 4 since sept.2013, its in his bones and lung. 

The feelings you are having.. I have them as well. Sometimes I feel like I'm shuting everyone out to decrease the pain I feel. 

My husband is 33 years old and we have a 13 year old daughter and 10 year old son. Sometimes I get made at myself for feeling sorry for myself. I have my good days and my bad days. It truly is a "rollercoaster"  when it comes to melanoma, and the waiting is the worst.

Emily Turner

eturner
                                                Participant

Hi, Virginia 

Emily Turner

HopefulOne
                                                  Participant

Hi Virginia,

My husband (Stage 3C in Oct. 2012, Stage 4 in May 2013) said the same thing to me, "You didn't sign up for this." And I agree with you – when we said I do – I did. We actually got engaged two months after his melanoma came back and were married two weeks (it had already been planned and he REFUSED to miss our wedding!) after emergency surgery to remove a tumor that had wrapped around his spinal cord and was starting to make him go paralyzed in one leg.

With or without a marriage license, when I fell in love with him – I signed up for a lifetime of commitment to him.

This journey is a rollercoaster for everyone involved. In my humble opinion, every and any reaction, thought or emotion is OK. We are all different and will react differently at different times. Everything could be going great and you could suddenly just break down and cry. Sometimes things can be going bad and you'll find yourself cheerfully singing a song. 

I've just learned to sort of embrace and acknowledge any random or obsessing thought I have and let it be what it is. I don't judge myself for what I think – I just let those thoughts and emotions go through me as they need to.

I wish you and your husband – and everyone on this thread and forum – the best of luck. May we all find lasting therapies and hopefully someday a cure!!

Take care,

Kimberly

P.S. My husband had a PET and CT scan yesterday and I'm anxiously awaiting the results … he's a much cooler cucumber than me. πŸ™‚

HopefulOne
                                                    Participant

Hi Virginia,

My husband (Stage 3C in Oct. 2012, Stage 4 in May 2013) said the same thing to me, "You didn't sign up for this." And I agree with you – when we said I do – I did. We actually got engaged two months after his melanoma came back and were married two weeks (it had already been planned and he REFUSED to miss our wedding!) after emergency surgery to remove a tumor that had wrapped around his spinal cord and was starting to make him go paralyzed in one leg.

With or without a marriage license, when I fell in love with him – I signed up for a lifetime of commitment to him.

This journey is a rollercoaster for everyone involved. In my humble opinion, every and any reaction, thought or emotion is OK. We are all different and will react differently at different times. Everything could be going great and you could suddenly just break down and cry. Sometimes things can be going bad and you'll find yourself cheerfully singing a song. 

I've just learned to sort of embrace and acknowledge any random or obsessing thought I have and let it be what it is. I don't judge myself for what I think – I just let those thoughts and emotions go through me as they need to.

I wish you and your husband – and everyone on this thread and forum – the best of luck. May we all find lasting therapies and hopefully someday a cure!!

Take care,

Kimberly

P.S. My husband had a PET and CT scan yesterday and I'm anxiously awaiting the results … he's a much cooler cucumber than me. πŸ™‚

virginia washburn
                                                        Participant

Kimberly,

I wish you both the best.

My husband was also dx'd w/recurrence in his lungs Oct. 2012. Then Aug. 2013 the brain  mets showed up. As I said in my original post, we are waiting to see if he will be eligible for anti PD-1. He can't have any brain lesions for that to happen. 

I, too, take his emotions and mine as they come. 

virginia washburn
                                                          Participant

Kimberly,

My husband was also dx'd w/recurrence in his lungs Oct. 2012. Then Aug. 2013 the brain  mets showed up. As I said in my original post, we are waiting to see if he will be eligible for anti PD-1. He can't have any brain lesions for that to happen. 

melanomafighter
                                                            Participant
                                                              I am so sorry to all of you dealing with this….I dread ever having to see my family feel the way you all do..I pray for a cure for all of us…Tersia..Indianapolis…Stage 3B
                                                              melanomafighter
                                                              Participant
                                                                I am so sorry to all of you dealing with this….I dread ever having to see my family feel the way you all do..I pray for a cure for all of us…Tersia..Indianapolis…Stage 3B
                                                                melanomafighter
                                                                Participant
                                                                  virginia washburn
                                                                  Participant

Kimberly,

HopefulOne
                                                                  Participant

Hi Virginia,

Take care,

Kimberly

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics