The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My Facebook appeal, hoping others will do the same….

Forums Pediatric & AYA Melanoma Community My Facebook appeal, hoping others will do the same….

• This topic is empty.
    Participant

I posted the following appeal on Facebook this morning….sharing here in the hopes that others might do the same — either share my appeal or create your own….My prayers include all those who are still in the fight!

Thank you!

Lana

My appeal, as the Mom of a heroic, 30 year old metastatic melanoma warrior who tragically lost his battle 4 weeks ago: 
      If you’re planning to contribute to the Stand Up 2 Cancer fund drive tonight, and are not already committed to donating to another type of cancer, please consider instead, donating to the MELANOMA RESEARCH FOUNDATION (4 Stars on Charity Navigator – highest rating). Stand Up 2 Cancer is definitely a worthwhile generic research funding drive, but I couldn't find a way to designate my dollars to melanoma research specifically.
      http://www.melanoma.org/

Melanoma research is grossly underfunded. Yes, great strides have been made with the new immunotherapy drugs, but they are far from a cure and still do not help the majority of metastatic melanoma warriors. 
      Your donation is greatly needed for the melanoma warriors still in the fight and those not yet diagnosed!
      Some facts, impersonal, but compelling: 
      –Every hour of every day someone dies from melanoma.
      –It is estimated that there will be 77,000 melanoma diagnoses 
      and nearly 10,000 deaths in 2014.
      –Melanoma is one of the fastest growing cancers in the U.S. and 
      worldwide.
      –Melanoma does not discriminate by age, gender or race. Everyone 
      is at risk.
      –Melanoma is the leading cause of cancer death in women ages 25-
      30 and the second leading cause of cancer death in women ages 
      30-35.
      –In ages 15-29, melanoma is the second most common cancer.
      –The incidence of people under 30 developing melanoma is 
      increasing faster than any other demographic group, soaring by 
      50% in women since 1980.
      –Melanoma is not just a skin cancer. It can develop anywhere 
      on the body – eyes, scalp, nails, feet, mouth, etc. (My son’s primary location was never found).
      –The most dangerous aspect of melanoma is its ability, in later stages, to spread – most often to the liver, lungs and brain.

Please share…if for nothing more than to educate!

The Melanoma Research Foundation (MRF) is leading the melanoma…
      MELANOMA.ORG

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics