The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My angel wife

Forums Caregiver Community My angel wife

Participant

I am a long-time 'lurker' here and have posted a few times.  I wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate the knowledge, encouragement, and advice shared on this board.  

My sweet Heather passed away on Saturday, Nov. 9 at the young age of 33.  She was a beautiful redhead, we were married in July 2012, and she was given the stage IV diagnosis 6 weeks later.  She was most recently on the Merck PD-1 trial and scheduled to go in for her 12-week scans yesterday at Vanderbilt.  Obviously the treatment didn't work on her, and I just think she was too far along for it to help her very much.  Though she had met the inclusion criteria to get in, her little body was weak and just slowly gave out.  We didn't expect to lose her anytime soon, but I am comforted that I was holding her, at home, and she was not in pain.  

She had been in treatment since October 2012 and had mets in the abdomen, liver, spleen, bone, and brain.  The abdominal/pelvic tumors were causing a lot of pain and digestive problems, but we got the pain under control for her last couple of days with stronger meds.  I am so proud of her, she never complained or got angry with her situation, even while doing IL-2, IPI, SRS, carbo-taxol, whole brain radiation, and finally anti-PD-1.  She loved the Lord, and I'm comforted knowing that she has a new body in heaven and no longer suffering.  

A month before she passed, she helped raise over $22,000 for melanoma research and awareness.  She wanted to be healed so badly so she could devote her life to helping and encouraging others facing a grim diagnosis.  I think she had 600 people at her memorial service this week and equally as many at the visitation.  My heart goes out to all who are fighting this awful disease and their family & caregivers.  

Bless you all,

Steve

Viewing 44 reply threads
    • Replies
        rebeccasilberman
        Participant

So Sorry to hear about your wife. She sounds like a very special person and so do you!

rebeccasilberman
          Participant

So Sorry to hear about your wife. She sounds like a very special person and so do you!

rebeccasilberman
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Dear Steve, 

I am so very sorry for your loss. The love the two of you shared comes through in every word. Melanoma does not play fair. Wishing you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Dear Steve, 

I am so very sorry for your loss. The love the two of you shared comes through in every word. Melanoma does not play fair. Wishing you my best. Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

Dear Steve, 

ecc26
                    Participant

I am so very very sorry to hear this. I was very much hoping the PD-1 would be the one that worked for her. I really am at a loss for words, and I'm not sure anything I can say will make this any better. She sounds like she truly was an amazing and loving person and I think it is good to remember that her suffering has ended and wherever she is she is healthy and happy.Thank you for letting us know.

-Eva

ecc26
                      Participant

I am so very very sorry to hear this. I was very much hoping the PD-1 would be the one that worked for her. I really am at a loss for words, and I'm not sure anything I can say will make this any better. She sounds like she truly was an amazing and loving person and I think it is good to remember that her suffering has ended and wherever she is she is healthy and happy.Thank you for letting us know.

-Eva

ecc26
                        Participant

-Eva

hdelancey23
                          Participant

So sorry to hear about your loss. She will be in heaven waiting for you and looking down on you most certainly.

hdelancey23
                            Participant

So sorry to hear about your loss. She will be in heaven waiting for you and looking down on you most certainly.

hdelancey23
                              Participant

Fen
                                Participant

Oh Steve, my heart breaks for you.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  She must have been an amazing person to have focused her energy on helping others through fundraising.    

Fen

Fen
                                  Participant

Oh Steve, my heart breaks for you.  I'm so sorry for your loss.  She must have been an amazing person to have focused her energy on helping others through fundraising.    

Fen

Fen
                                    Participant

Fen

Maureen038
                                        Participant

I am terribly sorry for your loss Steve. Your wife sounded like an incredible person! Melanoma is such a dreadful disease. Many prayers are being sent your way!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                          Participant

I am terribly sorry for your loss Steve. Your wife sounded like an incredible person! Melanoma is such a dreadful disease. Many prayers are being sent your way!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                            Participant

Maureen

POW
                                            Participant

Oh, Steve! I am so sorry for your loss! Heather was such a beautiful, strong and loving person and then to have this rotten thing happen to her! I am so glad that you two found love in each other and were able to care for and support each other through such difficult times. I think she chose well when she chose you. 

I hope that you are able to reach out and accept the love and suport of your large circle of friends and family. You did your very best for Heather all along the way, and now it's time to try to be gentle with yourself and heal.

Many of us have lost loved ones to this terrible disease. If there is anything we can do for you, or if you just need a place to vent your feelings, please don't hesitate to post here. We will always be here for you. 

POW
                                              Participant

Oh, Steve! I am so sorry for your loss! Heather was such a beautiful, strong and loving person and then to have this rotten thing happen to her! I am so glad that you two found love in each other and were able to care for and support each other through such difficult times. I think she chose well when she chose you. 

I hope that you are able to reach out and accept the love and suport of your large circle of friends and family. You did your very best for Heather all along the way, and now it's time to try to be gentle with yourself and heal.

Many of us have lost loved ones to this terrible disease. If there is anything we can do for you, or if you just need a place to vent your feelings, please don't hesitate to post here. We will always be here for you. 

POW
                                                Participant

dhrahn
                                                  Participant

God bless you Steve!

dhrahn
                                                    Participant

God bless you Steve!

dhrahn
                                                      Participant

God bless you Steve!

BrianP
                                                        Participant

Steve,

I'm at a loss for words right now I feel so terrible about your loss.  Please take a little comfort knowing that myself and others are praying for you for strength and comfort.

Brian

BrianP
                                                          Participant

Steve,

I'm at a loss for words right now I feel so terrible about your loss.  Please take a little comfort knowing that myself and others are praying for you for strength and comfort.

Brian

BrianP
                                                            Participant

Steve,

Brian

JuleFL
                                                              Participant

Dear Steve, I am so sorry for the loss of Heather.  As others have said, she must have been quite a great lady.  I pray for your comfort and peace.

JuleFL

JuleFL
                                                                Participant

Dear Steve, I am so sorry for the loss of Heather.  As others have said, she must have been quite a great lady.  I pray for your comfort and peace.

JuleFL

JuleFL
                                                                  Participant

JuleFL

GAngel
                                                                    Participant

Dear Steve,

I am so sorry for your loss; Heather is now truly an Angel.  My thoughts and prayers are with you at this most difficult time. May the memories of  the love you two shared here on earth sustain you until you are reunited again in Heaven.

God bless you.

Gina

GAngel
                                                                      Participant

Dear Steve,

I am so sorry for your loss; Heather is now truly an Angel.  My thoughts and prayers are with you at this most difficult time. May the memories of  the love you two shared here on earth sustain you until you are reunited again in Heaven.

God bless you.

Gina

GAngel
                                                                        Participant

Dear Steve,

God bless you.

Gina

Michelem
                                                                          Participant

Heart breaks for you ….

Michelem
                                                                            Participant

Heart breaks for you ….

Michelem
                                                                              Participant

Heart breaks for you ….

Tina D
                                                                                Participant

She sounds so amazing and I am so very sorry for your loss, Steve. I am glad for the eternal hope you both have and I know the Lord will bring you much comfort in the days and weeks to come. What a wonderful lady who was doing all she could to help and desired to just devote herself to helping others. Her impact on others is evident by the vast turnout at her funeral and visitation. I hope you have lots of support and encouragement and help around you and friends to surround you. Prayers for strength and comfort. Again, just so very sorry for you loss.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                  Participant

She sounds so amazing and I am so very sorry for your loss, Steve. I am glad for the eternal hope you both have and I know the Lord will bring you much comfort in the days and weeks to come. What a wonderful lady who was doing all she could to help and desired to just devote herself to helping others. Her impact on others is evident by the vast turnout at her funeral and visitation. I hope you have lots of support and encouragement and help around you and friends to surround you. Prayers for strength and comfort. Again, just so very sorry for you loss.

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                    Participant

Tina

aldakota22
                                                                                      Participant

Can not imagine the pain you feel.So sorry for your loss.In my prayers tonight.Beat the Beast.       Al

aldakota22
                                                                                        Participant

Can not imagine the pain you feel.So sorry for your loss.In my prayers tonight.Beat the Beast.       Al

aldakota22
                                                                                          Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                              Participant

Dear Steve,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.  Words fail me; please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                Participant

Dear Steve,

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.  Words fail me; please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Steve,

Karen

Swanee
                                                                                                  Participant

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts of love and healing as you continue on in your journey with your beautiful Heather remaining in your heart and mind, forever there she will be. 

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                    Participant

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts of love and healing as you continue on in your journey with your beautiful Heather remaining in your heart and mind, forever there she will be. 

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                      Participant

Swanee

wilsonjm2003
                                                                                                        Participant

Steve:

I can't tell you how painful this is to read.  My wife was also diagnosed with melanoma just this year (less than 30 months after we were married), and at each step we have received the news of progression that we did not want to hear.  Most recently, we learned that the cancer had metastasized to the other side of her neck from where it originally was detected, and to her chest (lung).  I am trying to cope with this reality, and it is oftentimes very difficult because I cannot escape the dread of what may happen down the road.  The love you expressed for your wife, ironically enough, helps give me strength to be there for her as we continue to fight our battle.  I hope you can take the slightest bit of solace in knowing that Heather continues to help others, even after she has gone.  I wish you the best in dealing with your loss, and I offer you all the sympathy and condolences I have.

wilsonjm2003
                                                                                                          Participant

Steve:

I can't tell you how painful this is to read.  My wife was also diagnosed with melanoma just this year (less than 30 months after we were married), and at each step we have received the news of progression that we did not want to hear.  Most recently, we learned that the cancer had metastasized to the other side of her neck from where it originally was detected, and to her chest (lung).  I am trying to cope with this reality, and it is oftentimes very difficult because I cannot escape the dread of what may happen down the road.  The love you expressed for your wife, ironically enough, helps give me strength to be there for her as we continue to fight our battle.  I hope you can take the slightest bit of solace in knowing that Heather continues to help others, even after she has gone.  I wish you the best in dealing with your loss, and I offer you all the sympathy and condolences I have.

wilsonjm2003
                                                                                                            Participant

Steve:

SteveH230
                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you all so very much for your kind words.  I am doing as well as I can hope to.  I have at 2-3 really sad times every day, but then I think of her smiling down on me and remember she isn't suffering any more, and it passes. 

Later this month, Heather's family and I will be presenting a $26K contribution to the melanoma research team at Emory.  These funds were generated by the MelaNoMo' event in October that Heather helped put on (www.melanomo.org) and from donations given in her memory over the last few weeks.  Our hope is that the money will help other patients and that her fighting spirit will inspire others to never give up.  

As much as I want to pull myself away from melanoma forever, I can't help but checking back here frequently to see how all of you are doing.  I feel like I know many of you just from following your updates.  You will all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
                                                                                                                  Steve
                                                                                                                  SteveH230
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you all so very much for your kind words.  I am doing as well as I can hope to.  I have at 2-3 really sad times every day, but then I think of her smiling down on me and remember she isn't suffering any more, and it passes. 

Later this month, Heather's family and I will be presenting a $26K contribution to the melanoma research team at Emory.  These funds were generated by the MelaNoMo' event in October that Heather helped put on (www.melanomo.org) and from donations given in her memory over the last few weeks.  Our hope is that the money will help other patients and that her fighting spirit will inspire others to never give up.  

As much as I want to pull myself away from melanoma forever, I can't help but checking back here frequently to see how all of you are doing.  I feel like I know many of you just from following your updates.  You will all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Best,
                                                                                                                    Steve
                                                                                                                    SteveH230
                                                                                                                    Participant

Best,
                                                                                                                      Steve
                                                                                                                Viewing 44 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics