The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mucosal Melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Mucosal Melanoma

Participant

Does mucosal melanoma respond to immunotherapy treatments differently from cutaneous?  My father has a ery high tumor burden and was just taken off one of the pd-1 trials after only 2 mts since his scan showed many new nodules and no improvement.   His oncologist is now recommending yervoy.  Have any of you had experience with a similar situation?  

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Ninniditti
        Participant

Hi! I got my diagnose, mucosal melanoma, 6.5 years ago  (I was 60 then) . 4 years I managed with just surgury(6),  but 1.5 years ago a new MMM was unresectable. I  then tried nivo in a trial, scan showed a tiny growth so I had to quit the trial. Then I tried ipi but after only one infusion I had severe immune-related adverse events . That was last summer and I was in hospital for 2 weeks and was given 160 mg infusion of predsinol and that fixed the inflammation in liver. I aIso had inflammation in colon and thyrodea. I am still on 5 mg. My oncologist thought that nivo started the inflammation and ipi made it much worse. I had to stop ipi and am not allowed to have any kind of immuno-therapy in the future. Now I am on dacarbazine every third week and have been stable since I started . The first week after the infusion I am quite ill (mainly fatigue), but the following two weeks I feel better than I have done for years. My oncologist believe dacarbazine has better effect on mucosal than cutanous melanoma. I have a new scan last week. I wish your father all luck!

EricaLoney78
            Participant

Wow!!!! 6.5 years!!!!! That makes me so hopeful! The drs won't remove my moms tumor though and it has metastasized to her jawbone ๐Ÿ™

we are in Philadelphia at fox Chase

EricaLoney78
              Participant

Wow!!!! 6.5 years!!!!! That makes me so hopeful! The drs won't remove my moms tumor though and it has metastasized to her jawbone ๐Ÿ™

EricaLoney78
                Participant

Ninniditti
                Participant

Hi! I got my diagnose, mucosal melanoma, 6.5 years ago  (I was 60 then) . 4 years I managed with just surgury(6),  but 1.5 years ago a new MMM was unresectable. I  then tried nivo in a trial, scan showed a tiny growth so I had to quit the trial. Then I tried ipi but after only one infusion I had severe immune-related adverse events . That was last summer and I was in hospital for 2 weeks and was given 160 mg infusion of predsinol and that fixed the inflammation in liver. I aIso had inflammation in colon and thyrodea. I am still on 5 mg. My oncologist thought that nivo started the inflammation and ipi made it much worse. I had to stop ipi and am not allowed to have any kind of immuno-therapy in the future. Now I am on dacarbazine every third week and have been stable since I started . The first week after the infusion I am quite ill (mainly fatigue), but the following two weeks I feel better than I have done for years. My oncologist believe dacarbazine has better effect on mucosal than cutanous melanoma. I have a new scan last week. I wish your father all luck!

Ninniditti
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics