The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mother’s Day gift for caregiver

Forums Caregiver Community Mother’s Day gift for caregiver

Participant

My dad was recently diagnosed with Stage IV melanoma. It's been a very rough two months with multiple crainiotomies, raditiaion,starting on the new meds, and just the emotional rollercoster (as most of you know). 

My mom has also turned into his full time caregiver and is doing an awesome job but again it's been a very hard transition. 

So any ideas for a nice Mother's day gift? Usually we keep it simple with a card and flowers which I will do but wanted to also do something to maybe relieve some of the new stress or something she can use in her new role as caregiver. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        marta010
        Participant

As a caretaker and mom, the best gift my kids can give me is to take care of something around the house….mow the lawn, do the laundry, clean the house, make a grocery store run, etc.  This allows me to stop worrying about the onging, incidental chores so I have more time for my husband and also for myself.

Ann 

How about a subscription to one of the meal delivery services like blue apron or hello fresh?  That would ease the burden of grocery shopping and meal planning without taking away control. 

youngann
          Participant

How about a couple of "coupons" for a day off that she can redeem with you. You could either go stay with dad, or take him to your place for the day. I'm sure mom would love to have a whole day to herself.

Ann

CHD
            Participant

I love the idea of a gift certificate (or even a once or twice appointment) for maid service to clean the house.  I love the idea above of a meal service!  Not only as a gift for a caregiver, which I have been the past 2 years to a disabled husband, but even someone dealing with melanoma and surgeries and treatments, which I have also been… both ideas seem perfect to me.  But I love flowers at all times, always.  A whole house full and I would be happy!  If your mom might feel it's a criticism of her housekeeping skills or ability to keep up with the cooking, it might be best to stick with flowers.  We are all so different.  But for me even a one-time maid service or a few weeks of meal service would have been a lifesaver!  You are wonderful to think of your mom like this!

Cheri

Viewing 3 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics