The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Stage 4 and possible mets in other parts

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Melanoma Stage 4 and possible mets in other parts

Participant

Hi, I just started to read this forum recently. 

My father has started his terrible journey in Sept 2011 when they found out a melanoma in his thigh. That was already stage 3, not sure about the specification. After different treatments and surgery to remove linphs he has got satellite melanoma all over the leg. Obviously, the leg became bigger and bigger during the period. 

From January 2013 to November 2013 he has been part of the sperimentation of a new drug, the project was callend PRAME. We did not see any relevant benefit and that's the reason he left for starting Yervoy, in January 2014.

In the process of going from local melanoma to satellites they moved him from stage 3 to 4, and that was right during the PRAME therapy. In our country Yervoy is given just to stage 4 patients.

He has been able to have the first three sessions and then, in April 2014, just went down. He collapsed being in and out from hospital with infections, inflammations, pain. Doctors told us was a reaction and probably an intoxication from Yervoy. Recently, just a month ago he was again in hospital with very high fever, nausea, diaorrhea, confusion.

Doctors told us that he is in a terminally ill stage where they are not able to do any prediction. His blood has a very high LDH value and the forecast is to have blood cancer and perhaps mets on linphs and brain. He is literally under palliatives and he is not eating, so skinny and pallid. Most of the day just sleeps and his voice his so low and innocent, like his behaviour, since he is not clearly aware of the situation. He cannot have TC or radio because he is too weak, at least they say.

I am feeling so bad, do not know what to do and what to think. I am very confused because everything went so fast and now I am stuck with this situation. What do you think? Do you have any experience at all with this particular aspect of illness?

Thank you all…

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        tcell
        Participant

So sorry to read about your dad's bad condition.

I do not know enough about how big exactly your dad's problem is. I am stage four, currently on the IPI, with a very high tumor burden.

If your dad is BRAF + he should at least get the chance to try a BRAF inhibitor. If not still anti-PD 1 could be a very good option.

as I do not know where you live I have no idea whether those drugs are available in your country.

I can only recommend to contact Catherine Poole from the melanoma international foundation Who is very knowledgeable about the situation in different countries. you can easily find their website on Google.

hope this helps!

Chris

tcell
          Participant

I do not know enough about how big exactly your dad's problem is. I am stage four, currently on the IPI, with a very high tumor burden.

If your dad is BRAF + he should at least get the chance to try a BRAF inhibitor. If not still anti-PD 1 could be a very good option.

as I do not know where you live I have no idea whether those drugs are available in your country.

I can only recommend to contact Catherine Poole from the melanoma international foundation Who is very knowledgeable about the situation in different countries. you can easily find their website on Google.

hope this helps!

Chris

tcell
            Participant

hope this helps!

Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics