The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma spreading

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Melanoma spreading

Participant
      I had mole removed from back area near butt. I had several surgeries and came out cancer free about seven months ago. Cancer came back on left leg theigh, hip, and butt area close to original surgery site.
      I have completed five radiation treatments and have severe leg swelling.
      I am to start combo immunotherapy drugs soon and are freaking out on side effects.
      I wonder if I will loose my hair with this medication.
    Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        adrianc
        Participant

While immunotherapy combo can have diverse side effects,losing hair rarely happens although hair thinning might happen .Melanoma is the deadliest cancer so when your survival is on the line,few scars here and there and hair loss are small price to pay if it means you will stay alive.Best of luck to you.

Immunotherapy drugs usually don't cause hair loss.  It's not like traditional chemo.  Everyone's experience seems to be different.  Some have side effects and some don't.  I had low fever, hepatitis and some rash/itching and fatigue but nothing else.  Others never get a rash but get colitis.  Some get pneumonitis.  Try not to worry.  It won't help you.  Just watch closely and report any and all symptoms to your oncologist right away so they can give you the best care.  

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

ed williams
          Participant

Hi Honeysmom, what drugs are you about to start?

Natjocur
            Participant
              I hope you’re doing okay (silly, of course you’re not).
              I did interferon 7 years ago. My hair thinned a bit about 6 months in, but not bad. I’ve been on Yervoy for a year this month. No effect on my hair at all.
                Sharon93065
                Participant

ervoy for a year?  I thought it was with Opdivo as a combo? 

Nashvillian
                Participant

I am stage 3b on opdivo only as adjuntive therpay. Completely ressescted. The treatment with just opdivo is not bad. 

Viewing 4 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics