The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma misdiagnosed as dysplatic nevus?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Melanoma misdiagnosed as dysplatic nevus?

Participant

Hi all,

Has anyone here ever had a melanoma that was first misdiagnosed as a dysplastic nevus?  I had a dysplastic nevus removed last year.  It had to be sent in to UCSF for a second opinion because the first results were inconslusive.  This, combined with the fact that a dysplastic nevus looks similar to melanoma, has me wondering if it actually could misdiagnosed.  

I know someone who had a mole removed six years ago, results came back as a spitz nevus.  They got a surgical excision and then got on with their life.  However, six years later, this person discovered a lump under their arm.  It turned out the spitz nevus diagnosis was wrong and it had been melanoma the whole time.  

This made we wonder if this happens with dysplastic nevus moles as well. I have a family history of melanoma, so I am just a little concerned.  I did have the mole surgically excised when we found out it was dysplastic. 

Just curious to hear if anyone has any personal experience with this.

Thank you!

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

UCSF has some of the top dermapathologists in the country, so if they determined it to be dysplastic then that's what it is. I don't think it is common for it to be misdiagnosed as such anyway. I have friends and family members who have had dysplastic and severely displastic nevus removed and never had melanoma. I wouldn't stress out over it. Spitz is a whole different story, so try not to compare to your friend's experience.

All the best,

Melodygrace
            Participant

Thank you, this helps put my mind at ease.  I tend to over analyze things.

Best wishes to you 🙂 

Viewing 0 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics