The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma articles in April issue J Investigative Dermatology

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Melanoma articles in April issue J Investigative Dermatology

Participant

Sorry, don't know why article titles are such small type.  There doesn't seem to be anyway to make them larger.

Table of contents here, in case links in articles below don't work:  http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v133/n4/index.html

Sorry, don't know why article titles are such small type.  There doesn't seem to be anyway to make them larger.

Table of contents here, in case links in articles below don't work:  http://www.nature.com/jid/journal/v133/n4/index.html

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

NRAS and BRAF Mutations in Cutaneous Melanoma and the Association with MC1R Genotype: Findings from Spanish and Austrian Populations

Elke Hacker, Eduardo Nagore, Lorenzo Cerroni, Susan L Woods, Nicholas K Hayward, Brett Chapman, Grant W Montgomery, H Peter Soyer and David C Whiteman

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1027-1033; advance online publication, October 25, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.385

See also: Commentary by Fink et al.

Chemovirotherapy of Malignant Melanoma with a Targeted and Armed Oncolytic Measles Virus

Johanna K Kaufmann, Sascha Bossow, Christian Grossardt, Stefanie Sawall, Jörg Kupsch, Philippe Erbs, Jessica C Hassel, Christof von Kalle, Alexander H Enk, Dirk M Nettelbeck and Guy Ungerechts

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1034-1042; advance online publication, December 6, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.459

Familial Melanoma–Associated Mutations in p16 Uncouple its Tumor-Suppressor Functions FREE

Noah C Jenkins, Jae Jung, Tong Liu, Megan Wilde, Sheri L Holmen and Douglas Grossman

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1043-1051; advance online publication, November 29, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.401

The TWEAK Receptor Fn14 Is a Therapeutic Target in Melanoma: Immunotoxins Targeting Fn14 Receptor for Malignant Melanoma Treatment

Hong Zhou, Suhendan Ekmekcioglu, John W Marks, Khalid A Mohamedali, Kaushal Asrani, Keeley K Phillips, Sharron A N Brown, Emily Cheng, Michele B Weiss, Walter N Hittelman, Nhan L Tran, Hideo Yagita, Jeffrey A Winkles and Michael G Rosenblum

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1052-1062; advance online publication, November 29, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.402

Liver X Receptor Activation Inhibits Melanogenesis through the Acceleration of ERK-Mediated MITF Degradation

Chang Seok Lee, Miyoung Park, Jiwon Han, Ji-hae Lee, Il-Hong Bae, Hyunjung Choi, Eui Dong Son, Young-Ho Park and Kyung-Min Lim

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1063-1071; advance online publication, December 6, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.409

cAMP-Binding Site of PKA as a Molecular Target of Bisabolangelone against Melanocyte-Specific Hyperpigmented Disorder

Eunmiri Roh, Cheong-Yong Yun, Ji Young Yun, Dongsun Park, Nam Doo Kim, Bang Yeon Hwang, Sang-Hun Jung, Sun Ki Park, Yun-Bae Kim, Sang-Bae Han and Youngsoo Kim

J Invest Dermatol 133: 1072-1079; advance online publication, December 20, 2012; doi:10.1038/jid.2012.425

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        lou2
        Participant

Not exactly news  you can use, but maybe someone will understand it.  Didn't get much from it myself, being a newby, but the familial melanoma was interesting.

lou2
            Participant

Just thinking out loud here.  Maybe this won't interest you, pass on by.  But I am the type that must try to understand these technical things.

The first article discusses MC1R, which melanocortin 1 receptor.

MC1R is one of the key proteins involved in regulating mammalian skin and hair color.

In the United States, approximately 25 percent of the population are carrying the mutated Melanocortin 1 Receptor that causes red hair. The chance of two people having a child with red hair is 1-3 in every hundred (approximately 1 in 64)

In mutant yellow-orange mice and human redheads, both with non-functional MC1R, show that both genotypes display reduced sensitivity to noxious stimuli and increased analgesic responsiveness to morphine-metabolite analgetics. These observations suggests a role for mammalian MC1R outside the pigment cell, though the exact mechanism through which the protein can modulate pain sensation is not known. People with freckles and no red hair have an 85 percent chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene that is connected to red hair. People with no freckles and no red hair have an 18 percent chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene linked to red hair.  See more from this wikipedia article about MC1R.

So, from this information in the journal article about MC1R status which is inherited (germline), what is the relationship, if any to the non-inherited (somatic) mutations NRAS and BRAF?  My interpretation is that an inherited mutation in germline makes it less likely that a person would have a BRAF mutation of the head and neck, which has a poorer prognosis.  Whereas there was an association, not statistically signficant, that such a person with inherited MCIR variant would have a melanoma of the trunk instead.  Remember that it was an article about people who all had melanomas, so one cannot  assume any relationship between MC1R and tendency to develop melanoma from this article.

So, a person like me with freckles and no red hair would have an 85% chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene, but that does not necessarily mean people like this will get a BRAF mutation melanoma of the trunk, or any melanoma.  I got a melanoma of the trunk but don't know my BRAF status.  And  this group of people is less likely to get a BRAF mutation melanoma of the head and neck.

Just how NRAS mutant melanomas connect to the inherited MC1R status is not clear from the abstract.  We would have to see the full text article to know that presumably.  Not available free. 

Largest study to date, consisted of 375 melanoma patients, and the commentary says "This suggests a fundamental difference in pathogenesis between head/neck and truncal melanomas, which could contribute to their divergent prognoses."  Head and neck worse than trunk.

From the article abstract:

"We found that NRAS-mutant melanomas were significantly more likely from older patients and BRAF-mutant melanomas were more frequent in melanomas from the trunk. We observed a nonsignificant association between germline MC1R status and somatic BRAF mutations in melanomas from trunk sites (odds ratio (OR) 1.8 (0.8–4.1), P=0.1), whereas we observed a significant inverse association between MC1R and BRAF for melanomas of the head and neck (OR 0.3 (0.1–0.8), P=0.02)."

lou2
              Participant

Fell down the rabbit hole in my search for understanding.  The internet being the rabbit hole.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MC1R

Started here and then just went on and on.  Need to turn this computer off and get some fresh air.

Am trying to get hold of the full text of that recent MC1R article.  At this early stage, and my status as melanoma and genetics illiterate, it appears to me that if people with certain genetic characteristics are more susceptible to "noxious" insults (presumably being a whole range of environmental things including UV, secondhand smoke, toxic chemicals, etc), then they may develop other mutations or epigenetic features that will end in cancer of some type.  Reminds me of that statement that genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.  Can't remember now if that was being said of cancer and/or other diseases.

lou2
                Participant

Fell down the rabbit hole in my search for understanding.  The internet being the rabbit hole.

Started here and then just went on and on.  Need to turn this computer off and get some fresh air.

Am trying to get hold of the full text of that recent MC1R article.  At this early stage, and my status as melanoma and genetics illiterate, it appears to me that if people with certain genetic characteristics are more susceptible to "noxious" insults (presumably being a whole range of environmental things including UV, secondhand smoke, toxic chemicals, etc), then they may develop other mutations or epigenetic features that will end in cancer of some type.  Reminds me of that statement that genetics loads the gun, environment pulls the trigger.  Can't remember now if that was being said of cancer and/or other diseases.

lou2
                  Participant

lou2
                    Participant

Just thinking out loud here.  Maybe this won't interest you, pass on by.  But I am the type that must try to understand these technical things.

MC1R is one of the key proteins involved in regulating mammalian skin and hair color.

In the United States, approximately 25 percent of the population are carrying the mutated Melanocortin 1 Receptor that causes red hair. The chance of two people having a child with red hair is 1-3 in every hundred (approximately 1 in 64)

In mutant yellow-orange mice and human redheads, both with non-functional MC1R, show that both genotypes display reduced sensitivity to noxious stimuli and increased analgesic responsiveness to morphine-metabolite analgetics. These observations suggests a role for mammalian MC1R outside the pigment cell, though the exact mechanism through which the protein can modulate pain sensation is not known. People with freckles and no red hair have an 85 percent chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene that is connected to red hair. People with no freckles and no red hair have an 18 percent chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene linked to red hair.  See more from this wikipedia article about MC1R.

So, from this information in the journal article about MC1R status which is inherited (germline), what is the relationship, if any to the non-inherited (somatic) mutations NRAS and BRAF?  My interpretation is that an inherited mutation in germline makes it less likely that a person would have a BRAF mutation of the head and neck, which has a poorer prognosis.  Whereas there was an association, not statistically signficant, that such a person with inherited MCIR variant would have a melanoma of the trunk instead.  Remember that it was an article about people who all had melanomas, so one cannot  assume any relationship between MC1R and tendency to develop melanoma from this article.

So, a person like me with freckles and no red hair would have an 85% chance of carrying the defective MC1R gene, but that does not necessarily mean people like this will get a BRAF mutation melanoma of the trunk, or any melanoma.  I got a melanoma of the trunk but don't know my BRAF status.  And  this group of people is less likely to get a BRAF mutation melanoma of the head and neck.

Just how NRAS mutant melanomas connect to the inherited MC1R status is not clear from the abstract.  We would have to see the full text article to know that presumably.  Not available free. 

Largest study to date, consisted of 375 melanoma patients, and the commentary says "This suggests a fundamental difference in pathogenesis between head/neck and truncal melanomas, which could contribute to their divergent prognoses."  Head and neck worse than trunk.

"We found that NRAS-mutant melanomas were significantly more likely from older patients and BRAF-mutant melanomas were more frequent in melanomas from the trunk. We observed a nonsignificant association between germline MC1R status and somatic BRAF mutations in melanomas from trunk sites (odds ratio (OR) 1.8 (0.8–4.1), P=0.1), whereas we observed a significant inverse association between MC1R and BRAF for melanomas of the head and neck (OR 0.3 (0.1–0.8), P=0.02)."

lou2
                      Participant

lou2
                      Participant

Not exactly news  you can use, but maybe someone will understand it.  Didn't get much from it myself, being a newby, but the familial melanoma was interesting.

lou2
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics