The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph node question

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Lymph node question

Participant

My daughter was diagnosed stage 3b 5 years ago.  The melanoma was nodular in type and on her right neck (developed in an existing mole).  She had a WLE and SLNB which all showed negative for melanoma in tissue and lymph node.  A month later a lymph node near the area became enlarged and FNA was positive for melanoma.  She had a lymph node disection (26 nodes) and partial removal of the parotid gland on the right side.  Everything was negative except for the one lymph node we already knew about.  She then completed 3 courses of biochemotherapy (so glad they have less brutal adjuvant treatments now).  All of her scans have been completely clear with no areas of concern.  Prior to her 5 year scan she noticed an enlarged lymph node under her chin.  They did the scan and determined the node is 1 mm larger than it was in the most recent scan (6 months ago).  The weird thing is the lymph node changes size throughout the day and from day to day.  I have felt it myself and it was larger in the morning and not palpable in the afternoon.  She is scheduled to have it removed and biopsied but I wondered if this is something anyone else has experienced.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Brittany1999
        Participant

Hopefully this is just a case of little drainage during the night and then better drainage when vertical during the day. Doctor may prescribe an antibiotic first in order to see if the lymph node is fine and just fighting something benign.

Suebette4467
          Participant

Not to be nosey,but how old is your daughter? Her story is my story expect i am only 3 months in just started chemotherapy opdivo. I am a 3 C. But I couldn't find anyone who was going through exactly what I have been through. Thank you  and God bless and good luck.

kathycmc
              Participant

She was diagnosed when she was 24 and she is now 30.    

MarkR
                Participant

I have had similar with lymph nodes and they were described as reactive and they went back to normal after a while.  It’s very difficult but try not to touch them as it just aggravates and they get bigger, you get my paranoid and touch them more and it keeps going round

kathycmc
                  Participant

Thanks so much for responding.  She did elect to have the lymph node removed as she wants to start a family if she is 5 years NED.  Today the results came back negative.  No melanoma, or anything really, so I guess she just had a reactive lymph node as you said.  Officially 5 years NED – best day ever!

Viewing 1 reply thread
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics