The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Long time survivors

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Long time survivors

Participant

Are there any long term survivors of mucosal melanoma ? Every profile i look at is inactive. Are the folks nto around anymore. sad

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        Becky
        Participant

My son was dx with oral melanoma ( tongue) in 2009 just before his 21st birthday. It had spread to the  lymph nodes. 2 surgeries, a year of interferon, and NED 9 years!

danny201819
            Participant

Thanks Becky for sharing the hope. Thats what keep me going. I have hunch there are lot more survivors but probably not many on this forum. I am going to start a trial of Keytruda,Ipi and aspirin in two weeks. Surgery is not possible and it would need taking out the bladder and the rectum. I was hoping to see more survival stories. 

Becky
              Participant

Yes mucosal melanoma prettty uncommon ( and oral even more so) and what little info I read at the time was very scary! But things have changed. Like you I loved hearing survival stories….here is hoping you will soon be one of them!

Gene_S
                Participant

My husband did not have mucosal melanoma but did become stage IV with an unresectable tumor on his cervical spine at C1, C2 area with mets in his liver and lungs as well.  He did Ipi 30 mg/kg and GMCSF and he became NED in July 2012 and has remained NED for over 6 years.  If you would like to read more of his story you can on his profile.

Most long term survivors only visit occasionally.  But there is still hope.  We actually watched the tumors that were visible  shrink away.  Prayers that things work out well for you.

Judy the loving wife of Gene

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics