The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Kaye Cowher

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Kaye Cowher

Participant

I don't know if anyone on here is a steeler fan but here in Pa. I think everyone is. Anyway the reason I bring this up is because coach Bill Cowher's wife died of skin cancer about a year ago (I think). They did not release what kind of skin ca but I saw all the posts about mel not getting the attention it deserves and I thought of this story. Bill will actually be on the news tonight talking about living without Kaye. I too believe this deadly form of cancer needs more attention. I was actually thinking of ways to bring it into the public spotlight.

I don't know if anyone on here is a steeler fan but here in Pa. I think everyone is. Anyway the reason I bring this up is because coach Bill Cowher's wife died of skin cancer about a year ago (I think). They did not release what kind of skin ca but I saw all the posts about mel not getting the attention it deserves and I thought of this story. Bill will actually be on the news tonight talking about living without Kaye. I too believe this deadly form of cancer needs more attention. I was actually thinking of ways to bring it into the public spotlight. We need people to understand what this is and how bad it can be if left to run rampid. I just thought I would let everyone know of another famous person who died from skin ca. Maybe just maybe it will be brought more into the main stream spotlight. It's a sad way for mel to get attention though. I don't wish it on anyone.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        glewis923
        Participant

Yes, I remember the Kaye story.  Now that it's becoming "newsworthy" perhaps more attention will be granted.  It does seem like over the last year i have seen more references to mel. in news- or maybe i'm just paying closer attention!  

Serveral "top 10"  cancers could use a bit more PR.  Breast and prostate seem to get the lion's share of attention,  but colon-gastro, brain, lung, and of course mel. cancers don't seem to get "their Share" of focus and hence $$$.

Brandi
            Participant

I agree! My husband heard on the radio today about a major break thru for lung and mel that could be a cure?! The problem is he said they didn't announce what they were referring too UGH!! I wonder if it's something we already know about or something brand new?? Dunno but I'm praying there is a breakthrough for all cancers! I hate cancer! I've lost both family and patients to the big C and I hate it! People are completely healthy one minute and bang a week later they are in the hospital being told they may only have a few weeks or a few months to live! Not right!

Brandi
              Participant

I agree! My husband heard on the radio today about a major break thru for lung and mel that could be a cure?! The problem is he said they didn't announce what they were referring too UGH!! I wonder if it's something we already know about or something brand new?? Dunno but I'm praying there is a breakthrough for all cancers! I hate cancer! I've lost both family and patients to the big C and I hate it! People are completely healthy one minute and bang a week later they are in the hospital being told they may only have a few weeks or a few months to live! Not right!

glewis923
              Participant

Yes, I remember the Kaye story.  Now that it's becoming "newsworthy" perhaps more attention will be granted.  It does seem like over the last year i have seen more references to mel. in news- or maybe i'm just paying closer attention!  

Serveral "top 10"  cancers could use a bit more PR.  Breast and prostate seem to get the lion's share of attention,  but colon-gastro, brain, lung, and of course mel. cancers don't seem to get "their Share" of focus and hence $$$.

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics