The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

just dx with Ocular Melanoma – help appreciated

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community just dx with Ocular Melanoma – help appreciated

Participant

have seen retinal vitreous Dr in home Pittsburgh   /  all they are offering is 'plaque' temporarily attached to my eyeball —  Radioactive 'seeds' =  Brachytherapy? OR certain Death  — { all I wanted was a New pair of eyeglasses 🙁  } – At Least they Found this in time' –  thoughts anyone?  

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

You posted on the cutaneous melanoma (skin) board.  Go back to the options above and you will find a separate link for an ocular melanoma board. Your questions will be better addressed there.

Janner
          Participant

You posted on the cutaneous melanoma (skin) board.  Go back to the options above and you will find a separate link for an ocular melanoma board. Your questions will be better addressed there.

Janner
            Participant

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Here's the link to the OM forum. I hope someone can help you. https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/cure-om-forum

Not sure if anyone on this forum knows much about it but maybe they do. Hopefully someone can help you. Sorry I know nothing about it. I met one guy briefly who had it but I don't think you want his crazy treatment. His first doc basically took one of his eyes out but then a few months later it showed up in the other eye. Now he is going to Siteman in Saint Louis doing some trial medicine but I don't know what it  is. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                Participant

Here's the link to the OM forum. I hope someone can help you. https://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/cure-om-forum

Not sure if anyone on this forum knows much about it but maybe they do. Hopefully someone can help you. Sorry I know nothing about it. I met one guy briefly who had it but I don't think you want his crazy treatment. His first doc basically took one of his eyes out but then a few months later it showed up in the other eye. Now he is going to Siteman in Saint Louis doing some trial medicine but I don't know what it  is. Good luck to you.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                  Participant

Artie

Fighting_OM
                    Participant

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  At 33 yrs. old I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma (OM) this November and went through brachytherapy before Thanksgiving.  The procedure is straight forward and involves the placement of a radioactive plaque to the eye which contains seeds to irradiate the tumor.  Over several days the plaque remains attached before being removed.  The operation isn't painless but it is better than having the eye removed.  I've been recovering and am now ~ 3 wks post operation.  The eye feels very good but the vision isn't great yet for me.  Vision prognosis is related to a lot of factors based on tumor size and location, so you should speak to your doctor about the procedure.  My tumor was close to the optic nerve and my doctor was very clear that I would likely lose a considerable amount of vision in my eye.  Your case may be much different.

Obviously you have to get it treated or it will mean certain death eventually but the idea that OM = death isn't true.  Tumor size and tumor genetics have a lot to do with the prognosis.  If caught early when the tumor is small, the risk of metastasis is a lot lower.  The genetics will also be very predictive of metastatic potential with monosomy 3 generally having a poor prognosis.  Your doctor should be able to direct you on genetic testing as part of the surgical preparation.  Which brings up a final point.  Who does your surgery can have a huge impact.  I assume you live in Pittsburgh and fortunately Philadelphia is home to the world experts in OM.  I strongly suggest you go to Wills Eye in Philly to be seen by Dr. Shields.  I hope that helps!

Thankful_Heart
                        Participant

Forgive me, 'Wolverine' – I only just now saw your thoughtful reply! 

[  I thought this reply would be sent via email  ]

Thank you for taking the time to write –

I am VERY sorry that you have had to deal with Ocular Melanoma at your young age – I will pray daily for 

you & yours – Very glad to learn you are recovering beautifully!!

I have been seen by Dr Rath @ RetinalVitreous Consultants,     Pittsburgh – dr rath states she has over 10 years experience doing Radiation – Brachytherapy as you've done –

my 'surgery' is planned for Jan 12 but I wish to explore More Options ,,, youtube has some

info, by  UK dr – Dr Paul Nathan is one – Systemic immuno Target therapies . . .

Merry Christmas – Bestest Blessings of The Most  High God in 2015 !!!

Kate . . .   Hope springs eternal  

ps  Jeremy, 38, an acquaintance of my best friend, Also was treated @ Wills 2 yr ago and doing WELL!!

Thankful_Heart
                          Participant

I am VERY sorry that you have had to deal with Ocular Melanoma at your young age – I will pray daily for 

I have been seen by Dr Rath @ RetinalVitreous Consultants,     Pittsburgh – dr rath states she has over 10 years experience doing Radiation – Brachytherapy as you've done –

my 'surgery' is planned for Jan 12 but I wish to explore More Options ,,, youtube has some

info, by  UK dr – Dr Paul Nathan is one – Systemic immuno Target therapies . . .

ps  Jeremy, 38, an acquaintance of my best friend, Also was treated @ Wills 2 yr ago and doing WELL!!

Thankful_Heart
                            Participant

Fighting_OM
                            Participant

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  At 33 yrs. old I was diagnosed with ocular melanoma (OM) this November and went through brachytherapy before Thanksgiving.  The procedure is straight forward and involves the placement of a radioactive plaque to the eye which contains seeds to irradiate the tumor.  Over several days the plaque remains attached before being removed.  The operation isn't painless but it is better than having the eye removed.  I've been recovering and am now ~ 3 wks post operation.  The eye feels very good but the vision isn't great yet for me.  Vision prognosis is related to a lot of factors based on tumor size and location, so you should speak to your doctor about the procedure.  My tumor was close to the optic nerve and my doctor was very clear that I would likely lose a considerable amount of vision in my eye.  Your case may be much different.

Obviously you have to get it treated or it will mean certain death eventually but the idea that OM = death isn't true.  Tumor size and tumor genetics have a lot to do with the prognosis.  If caught early when the tumor is small, the risk of metastasis is a lot lower.  The genetics will also be very predictive of metastatic potential with monosomy 3 generally having a poor prognosis.  Your doctor should be able to direct you on genetic testing as part of the surgical preparation.  Which brings up a final point.  Who does your surgery can have a huge impact.  I assume you live in Pittsburgh and fortunately Philadelphia is home to the world experts in OM.  I strongly suggest you go to Wills Eye in Philly to be seen by Dr. Shields.  I hope that helps!

Fighting_OM
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics