The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

just diagnosed – Stage 3 Lymph node

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community just diagnosed – Stage 3 Lymph node

Participant

I was diagnosed with Melanoma a few weeks ago, it is in my left lymph node in the groin area.  I had a think mole removed on that same side on my lower back 2 years ago and it was removed with "clean margins". 

I have a meeting with an oncologist who specializes in melanoma next week, and I've been told that I'll need to have it removed, along with others around it…plus something else? (immunotherapy, chemo, etc).

I'm a 3rd grade teacher, and I'm trying to figure out if I'll still be able to carry on with my job, taking minimal time off for surgery and treatment.  Do you think this is realistic?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

First of all, so sorry you have to be a part of this club. Do you remember how thick your melanoma was 2 years ago? If it was more than .75mm thick, then you should have had a sentinel lymph node biopsy at that time. I know that's water under the bridge at this point, but I am just hoping you didn't have poor care from a doc. You'll have that lymph node removed, and maybe they'll do a full or partial lymph node removal it sounds like. You'll need a full body scan, PET or PET/CT to make sure there is no other spread internally. And a brain MRI, since CT and PET scans are not as accurate for the brain and it's best to get a baseline reading of your brain with MRI. If everywhere else looks good, then once the lymph nodes are removed, you will be NED (no evidence of disease) and your option for treatment will be either Yervoy (Ipi) which is an immunotherapy that is FDA approved or you could look into clinical trials. Watch and wait is also an option, which means you wouldn't do adjuvant treatment but you'd be closely monintered by your oncologist and get regular scans. If your doc ever brings up Interferon, then you're seeing the wrong doc. It's an outdated drug that has proven no benefit to the patient, so just be aware of that. I did Ipi as adjuvant treatment after diagnosed myself. You can go into my profile and read my whole history and what side effects I have come accross and everything. Most of us still work during treatment, but there are some side effects that can get serious, even though I have never experienced a serious side effect, it's still something to know is possible and could cause time lost at work to take care of. But, no one has any clue how their body will react to any drugs, so there is absolutely no way to predict how you will do. 

All the best,

UBContributor
          Participant

Hi, I am stage Ic, dx-ed mid Nov 2016. Had 2 lymphnodes removed from groin early Jan, all clear too, original spot was on lower leg. Your post scares me, honestly, scares very much. Can you pls tell how did you find the recurrence? Enlarged lymphnoe? Scanning? Any testing?

As about job, I have been reading here since my Dx, and see that despite side effects of immunotherapy, most of people here keep working full time, travel abroad, etc.

Pls keep us posted. sending positive vines your way 

ajpeterson
            Participant

My previous melanoma was a very thin mole on my lower back 2 years ago, and this time in one lymph node on the same side of the groin.  The Dr has said that it's VERY rare that it would return, however I caught it early….it appeared in the upper groin area, and was about 3.5cm in diameter and very hard.  A FNA was done and was considered to be "suspicious for melanoma"….after that I had a PET scan and have a brain MRI in a few days.  The PET scan showed that the melanoma has stayed in the lymph node, except for a very tiny spot on one of my lungs, that they think is completely unrelated. 

I've been having a little bit of dizziness, which I have attributed to a history of panic attacks?

klmillard10
                Participant

I am so sorry that you are not dealing with this. I to, was just diagnosed with stage 3A in February. I just had the lymph node dissection on 3/7 and honestly, it is not nearly as bad as I thought. Everyday becomes a little easier in terms of mobility, pain and swelling. I was able to leave the hospital after 2 days and since then have just rested as home, leg elevated all the time to prevent swelling and I was off of my pain meds in a week. My walk is still a limp and I still have the drains but honestly, you should be fine with the surgery, but I would expect at least 6 weeks. I am  flight attendant so I am out of work at least 3 months, but that is do to the circumstances of the job, rather then the usual recovery! Best of luck, you will be fine!

ajpeterson
                  Participant

Was the Lymph Node dissection, a removal of the lymph node?  I'm still trying to figure out all of the language surrounding melanoma…. (sorry).  

Thanks for your response!  I found this site 2 days ago after not doing any computer searches for melanoma, for fear that I would find something horrible and my anxiety would skyrocket.  It's been nice to have a place to ask questions to others who are going through and have gone through the same thing.

jennunicorn
                    Participant

A dissection is removal of all the lymph nodes in the affected area. Also reffered to as a CLND (complete lymph node dissection). A SLNB (sentinel lymph node biopsy) will only remove one or a few lymph nodes to test and see if there are any melanoma cells there. Sometimes when people get a positive lymph node from the SLNB they will decide to remove the rest of the lymph nodes. There is debate about whether that is needed and if it has any affect in the long run. Hope that helps clarify that.

I want to say I am SO happy you came straight here and are staying of Google. That is my number 1 piece of advice for anyone new. I did the same thing.. well, my boyfriend BANNED me from Google for a while.. and I love him for it. He did the research himself and only told me good info, like stories of others who went through the same thing and are many years past their diagnosis and living well. I didn't even come to this forum until after my surgery and after my decision on treatment. We are here for you, any questions, just want to vent, whatever you need, this is the place. 

ajpeterson
                      Participant

Thanks for the explanation about the terminology….that makes sense.  After your dissection, did you start some sort of treatment?  If so, what did you do?

I am having a brain MRI today, that I'm kind of freaked out about.  The Dr doesn't seem concerned because the melanoma is in my groin area and there doesn't seem to be anything else in other parts of my body.  

My husband sits at a desk/computer for his job and has been googling everything.  Thank goodness I have 25 3rd graders who keep me busy and away from a computer during the day, otherwise it might be more difficult to stay away from doing my own "research".  

jennunicorn
                        Participant

I did not get a dissection, I didn't want to risk getting lymphedema and the oncologists I consulted with agreed. I had 4 lymph nodes removed during the sentinel biopsy, 3 were positive. I started Ipi (Yervoy) adjuvant treatment a month after surgery. I am also having a brain MRI today.. my least favorite thing ever. If you get claustrophobic at all, I hope they gave you Ativan.. I cannot do it without it myself. If you want more detail of the journey I've been on this past year and a half you can read it all in my profile 🙂

ajpeterson
                          Participant

Finished my first ever brain MRI and I can definitely see why it's your least favorite thing!  I'm not claustrophobic and the technician was super nice, but I felt like I was on a space ship and forgot to tuck my legs in for the take off. ;). 

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Haha, I am glad you survived the tube of doom 🙂 My happy drugs made mine very easy yesterday, thank goodness.

TexMelanomex
                              Participant

Nice AJ! Some people get really claustrophobic in an MRI but much easier if you do not. Hoping for everything to be clear on your results and try to relax in the meantime (yes I know, easier said than done but worrying doesn't change the results!). I'm relatively new here myself and just completed the SNLB and WLE on my scalp, I'm 3 days post op from that and it finally feels like I am "doing" something about this. I will find out on Tuesday if I remain at Stage 2 or go to Stage 3. Since we are both "newbies" please let me know if there is anything I can try to answer for you but there are people here who have TONS of information and have been through it all so use this forums for your questions, concerns, just to vent, or to share some positives. Over the past few weeks this site has come to mean quite a bit to me and the collective strength and knowledge here is impressive to say the least!

Tex

Viewing 2 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics