The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Is there anyone who has chosen not to have surgery on face?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Is there anyone who has chosen not to have surgery on face?

Participant

I have been diagnosed with Melanoma insitu in my left nostril.  It was found by accident during a skin screening that was done.  The doctor saw a small bump ( I had a real hard time seeing the bump) that she thought was basel cell.  They did a biopsy and the bump was just fybroid tissue but they found melanoma insitu under the bump.  They wanted to do MOHS surgery there, but i chose to go to another center that could read the levels on-site.  I was told that with Melanoma the pathology would have to be sent off overnight to have it read instead of being able to read it in the office like you do with basel cell. I wanted to have it done all in one day instead of the possibility of having to go back each day.  So i went to this highly recommended university to have a consultation and then surgery immediately thereafter.  I was totally not prepared for what i was told.  This dr said that they would have to at a minimum take my left nostril off, take cartlidge from my ear to rebuild and then cut from my nose to the corner of my mouth and do what i assume was going to be a flap.  He never really told me that in those words.  I was so upset that i don't think i heard anything else that was said.  I was going in thinking a small MOHS hole and a skin graft from behind my ear.  His bedside manner had no compassion at all.  My husband and i left without doing the surgery that day.  I needed time to research and absurb what i was told.  They would not do a second biopsy which i don't understand why.  I am almost 51 years old and in great health.  Yes, like many i have tanned over the years, but not abused it.  To say the least i am petrified of them cutting off half my face.  It just seems to be so many unknowns.  I am seriously thinking of not doing anything.  If it is in the very early stages who is to say that it will take many many years before it goes any further.  Especially since it cannot be seen with the naked eye. I know God is good and that he has the ability to keep it at bay if he chooses.  I would really like to talk to someone that chose not to have such an evasive surgery on the face.  I am really scared more of the surgery and the recovery than with the fact that it is cancer.  

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I do know of someone who had a somewhat deeper melanoma on his neck.  He chose no additional surgery.  No extra margins – just alternative treatments.  He made it 5 years (I believe) before melanoma took him.  This means absolutely nothing in your case as everyone is different, but I am pointing out what could be a reality.  Surgical removal of melanoma in situ with margins is considered a "cure".  There is no other cure for melanoma at this point.  And if it goes deeper, margins will need to be bigger later. Get more opinions, talk to other doctors.  But please, don't just ignore.

Janner
          Participant

I do know of someone who had a somewhat deeper melanoma on his neck.  He chose no additional surgery.  No extra margins – just alternative treatments.  He made it 5 years (I believe) before melanoma took him.  This means absolutely nothing in your case as everyone is different, but I am pointing out what could be a reality.  Surgical removal of melanoma in situ with margins is considered a "cure".  There is no other cure for melanoma at this point.  And if it goes deeper, margins will need to be bigger later. Get more opinions, talk to other doctors.  But please, don't just ignore.

Janner
            Participant

ET-SF
              Participant

Frankly, I'd rather be alive than pretty.  If I were in your position, I'd tell the surgeon to take the nostril now and to sort out the reconstruction details later.  Plastic surgeons are very good, by the way!  I suspect you will appear as though you received some injury to your nose, but it won't look horrific by any means.

There are a number of people who put their faith in God and turn away medicine.  They do not live very long.  I do not personally believe in a god, but I offer you this thought:  If there is a god, then maybe the way he or she is tossing you a lifeline is by giving you a good surgeon and the benefit of centuries of medical acumen.  Right?  As they say, "God works in mysterious ways."

IF you decide not to remove the tumor (which in my estimation would be an incredibly bad decision) then see if you can get into a T-VEC trial.  Your tumor would be injected with an oncolytic virus that would hopefully destroy it and immunize you against any residual melanoma cells.  But the most effective treatment by far is what your surgeon is suggesting.

Before you decide such a thing, look here:

http://www.newyorkfacialplasticsurgery.com/facialreconstructivesurgery.htm

Personally, I think the results are incredibly good — not "model" perfect, but incredibly good.

ET-SF
                Participant

Frankly, I'd rather be alive than pretty.  If I were in your position, I'd tell the surgeon to take the nostril now and to sort out the reconstruction details later.  Plastic surgeons are very good, by the way!  I suspect you will appear as though you received some injury to your nose, but it won't look horrific by any means.

There are a number of people who put their faith in God and turn away medicine.  They do not live very long.  I do not personally believe in a god, but I offer you this thought:  If there is a god, then maybe the way he or she is tossing you a lifeline is by giving you a good surgeon and the benefit of centuries of medical acumen.  Right?  As they say, "God works in mysterious ways."

IF you decide not to remove the tumor (which in my estimation would be an incredibly bad decision) then see if you can get into a T-VEC trial.  Your tumor would be injected with an oncolytic virus that would hopefully destroy it and immunize you against any residual melanoma cells.  But the most effective treatment by far is what your surgeon is suggesting.

Personally, I think the results are incredibly good — not "model" perfect, but incredibly good.

ET-SF
                  Participant

ET-SF
                      Participant

And for all it's worth, our neighbor across the street had MOHS reconstructive surgery on his ear.  The results are absolutely stunning.  You can't tell the difference between the ear that was reconstructed and the one that wasn't touched.  Seriously!

ET-SF
                        Participant

And for all it's worth, our neighbor across the street had MOHS reconstructive surgery on his ear.  The results are absolutely stunning.  You can't tell the difference between the ear that was reconstructed and the one that wasn't touched.  Seriously!

ET-SF
                          Participant

ET-SF
                            Participant

PPS If you think the reconstructive surgery results are not completely perfect, imagine how your melanoma will look after it's disfigured your entire face.  You can do a little bit of highly finessed plastic surgery now, or a whole lot of meatball plastic surgery later.  Just saying….

I hope I am not coming off as rude.  It's not my intent.  I just feel you are on the verge of making a very, incredibly, awfully bad mistake.

ET-SF
                              Participant

PPS If you think the reconstructive surgery results are not completely perfect, imagine how your melanoma will look after it's disfigured your entire face.  You can do a little bit of highly finessed plastic surgery now, or a whole lot of meatball plastic surgery later.  Just saying….

I hope I am not coming off as rude.  It's not my intent.  I just feel you are on the verge of making a very, incredibly, awfully bad mistake.

ET-SF
                                Participant

ldub
                                Participant

I had melanoma in situ on my calf.  My mole was 4 mm – very small.  It required a wide local excision, has left a prominent scar, suture marks and "divot" which will hopefully fade and fill in with time.   I am also a younger, very healthy and active person like you.  I couldn't wait to get this incredibly horrible cancer off of my skin and out of my life – it doesn't belong there!  I consider myself SO lucky that I am *only* dealing with a STAGE 0 malignant lesion, which with a surgical procedure, removed the melanoma completely from my body.  I hope I do not come off as patronizing, but spend a bit of time reading about the potential consequences of deeper melanomas and some of the struggles reflected in the stories published here on MRF – once you do that, I believe that a Mohs and reconstruction will begin to look like a darn good choice even if it will leave some potential scarring.  Also consider that God may have already had your back when the doctor found your cancer at a curable stage, especially since you couldn't even see it!  I know this diagnosis is a shocking one and the Mohs seems extreme, but you really are a very fortunate person to have caught this earlier rather than later.  You have the best choice for treatment in front of you right now.

ldub
                                  Participant

I had melanoma in situ on my calf.  My mole was 4 mm – very small.  It required a wide local excision, has left a prominent scar, suture marks and "divot" which will hopefully fade and fill in with time.   I am also a younger, very healthy and active person like you.  I couldn't wait to get this incredibly horrible cancer off of my skin and out of my life – it doesn't belong there!  I consider myself SO lucky that I am *only* dealing with a STAGE 0 malignant lesion, which with a surgical procedure, removed the melanoma completely from my body.  I hope I do not come off as patronizing, but spend a bit of time reading about the potential consequences of deeper melanomas and some of the struggles reflected in the stories published here on MRF – once you do that, I believe that a Mohs and reconstruction will begin to look like a darn good choice even if it will leave some potential scarring.  Also consider that God may have already had your back when the doctor found your cancer at a curable stage, especially since you couldn't even see it!  I know this diagnosis is a shocking one and the Mohs seems extreme, but you really are a very fortunate person to have caught this earlier rather than later.  You have the best choice for treatment in front of you right now.

ldub
                                    Participant

SABKLYN
                                      Participant

Finding melanoma in situ is the best possible news if you have melanoma.  If u let it go, you are taking a huge risk.  If you want a second opinion, go get it….however, this is nothing to ignore. Ask specifics about the reconstruction and ask for a consult with the plastic/reconstruction surgeon.  

Goid luck!

SABKLYN
                                        Participant

Finding melanoma in situ is the best possible news if you have melanoma.  If u let it go, you are taking a huge risk.  If you want a second opinion, go get it….however, this is nothing to ignore. Ask specifics about the reconstruction and ask for a consult with the plastic/reconstruction surgeon.  

Goid luck!

SABKLYN
                                          Participant

Goid luck!

stars
                                            Participant

Hi

It's a huge shock being diagnosed with melanoma, but in situ is the absolute best diagnosis. A 0.5mm margin of clean, healthy skin must be excised – which, as you can imagine, is hard to do in the nostril area. As far as I know, Mohs can be done on a facial melanoma (see:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/815468

but you would need an experienced surgeon. Because it's only in situ, maybe Mohs is the best compromise between getting it excised AND avoiding extensive and/or disfiguring surgery. Going back each day is the least of your worries with melanoma. That said, you would be amazed how well the face heals – it has a great blood supply and heals quickly and cleanly, so with a good surgeon even the more invasive procedure would probably work out just fine for you. Leaving the melanoma margins on your skin is not an option from my point of view. There's too much at stake.

stars
                                              Participant

Hi

It's a huge shock being diagnosed with melanoma, but in situ is the absolute best diagnosis. A 0.5mm margin of clean, healthy skin must be excised – which, as you can imagine, is hard to do in the nostril area. As far as I know, Mohs can be done on a facial melanoma (see:

but you would need an experienced surgeon. Because it's only in situ, maybe Mohs is the best compromise between getting it excised AND avoiding extensive and/or disfiguring surgery. Going back each day is the least of your worries with melanoma. That said, you would be amazed how well the face heals – it has a great blood supply and heals quickly and cleanly, so with a good surgeon even the more invasive procedure would probably work out just fine for you. Leaving the melanoma margins on your skin is not an option from my point of view. There's too much at stake.

stars
                                                Participant

Hi

Prd10
                                                  Participant

I don't blame you for being hesitant, that sounds really aggressive. I would get another opinion at least that way you will know it is your only option.

Mine was not on my face, but a very inconvenient spot on my finger. Imagine my shock when the first two surgical oncologists I met with wanted to take not one but TWO fingers.  I was 28 with a new baby and they wanted to amputate two fingers.  It was so unbelievable, however I was never dealing with in situ and I knew I had to do whatever needed to be done.  Being in Chicago I was lucky enough to have access to several well respected opinions and finally met with a medical oncologist that thought the idea of amputating two fingers was unnecessary.  They were not able to achieve the protocol margins, but were able to get pretty darn close and that was good enough for the oncologist and of course me.  

I actually had family members that were upset with me for not amputating my fingers because they didn't think was being aggressive enough.  It's just not that straightforward.  Seek another opinion and make the best decision you can. 

Prd10
                                                    Participant

I don't blame you for being hesitant, that sounds really aggressive. I would get another opinion at least that way you will know it is your only option.

Mine was not on my face, but a very inconvenient spot on my finger. Imagine my shock when the first two surgical oncologists I met with wanted to take not one but TWO fingers.  I was 28 with a new baby and they wanted to amputate two fingers.  It was so unbelievable, however I was never dealing with in situ and I knew I had to do whatever needed to be done.  Being in Chicago I was lucky enough to have access to several well respected opinions and finally met with a medical oncologist that thought the idea of amputating two fingers was unnecessary.  They were not able to achieve the protocol margins, but were able to get pretty darn close and that was good enough for the oncologist and of course me.  

I actually had family members that were upset with me for not amputating my fingers because they didn't think was being aggressive enough.  It's just not that straightforward.  Seek another opinion and make the best decision you can. 

liberty04281
                                                        Participant
                                                          It is a big mistake if you don’t do anything. Melanoma is a very dangerous and unpredictable.
                                                          liberty04281
                                                          Participant
                                                            It is a big mistake if you don’t do anything. Melanoma is a very dangerous and unpredictable.
                                                            liberty04281
                                                            Participant
                                                            Prd10
                                                            Participant

Gene_S
                                                              Participant

You may want to research "Black Salve"  I have seen pictures of it's miracles!

Gene_S
                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics