The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

ipi and nivo update

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community ipi and nivo update

Keymaster

I have a few more details about the Expanded Access Protocol for the combination of ipi and nivo.

The study has been approved by the FDA, which means it is posted on clinicaltrials.gov. This starts the process of getting sites open. The company is looking first to sites that have experience with the combination as part of the clinical trial process. It will take at least a month, and more likely six to eight weeks to start putting people on the drug, but everyone is working fast to shorten that time.

The study is open to people with Stage IV or unresectable Stage III melanoma, and it includes mucosal melanoma. It does not include ocular (uveal) melanoma because not enough patients with OM have been treated with the combination to know that it works in that population.

BRAF status doesn't matter, and prior treatment with a BRAF inhibitor is allowed. Prior treatment with ipi is not allowed.

Brain metastases must be stable for two weeks.  This is actually great news, as the previous standard has been eight weeks. 

Because ipi is an approved drug it must be provided as a prescription medicine and covered by insurance or some other program.  Nivo will be provided free as part of the protocol.

So what does this mean? That is not entirely clear. Clinical trial data is based on a small group of patients, fewer than 100.  Toxicities were high, with 2/3 of patients having Grade 3 or 4 toxicities.  Toxicities, or side effects, are rated on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being death.  Doctors involved in the study say that many of these higher grade toxicities were due to liver enzymes being out of normal range. The patients felt OK and the liver issues were dealt with fairly easily. 

The results of this small study were very impressive. These patients were all in real trouble. They had experience as many as three prior systemic therapies and were now progressing again. Despite this, the dosage being used in the EAP had one and two year survival rates of 94 and 88 percent, respectively. Those numbers are very high.

Everyone in the field is watching this combination very carefully, with hopes that they strong results will hold up as the number of patients increase and as it is used in patients as their first therapy.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Thanks for the update Tim.  This is fantastic news!  I will be real interested to see what dosage they end up going with for the EAP.  It seems from the data released at ASCO a concurrent combination of the drugs had the best results.  I hope they can make this happen quick.  From just talking to my clincal trial coordinator in the past I know once they get the green light from BMS it still takes a few months from that point to get the program operational.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Thanks for the update Tim.  This is fantastic news!  I will be real interested to see what dosage they end up going with for the EAP.  It seems from the data released at ASCO a concurrent combination of the drugs had the best results.  I hope they can make this happen quick.  From just talking to my clincal trial coordinator in the past I know once they get the green light from BMS it still takes a few months from that point to get the program operational.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Brian

JoshF
              Participant

Thanks Tim. Very encouraging. Just wondering why they would exclude someone previously treated with ipi, especially if there was some type of response.

So someone who had ipi previously could enter trial of just PD-1?

Josh

RJoeyB
                  Participant

Also remember that BMS has announced a separate EAP for nivolumab alone for patients who have already tried and failed ipilimumab.  I think it was announced in May and while details on locations have thus far been scarce, we're still in that 6-8 week period where they're still ramping things up, I assume.  Hopefully there will be more details about enrollment opportunities forthcoming very soon.

Joe

JoshF
                    Participant

Thanks Joe…

JoshF
                      Participant

Thanks Joe…

JoshF
                        Participant

Thanks Joe…

Scuba Doc
                          Participant

Why not just Nivolumab alone , when the early test results show an equal or better response using Nivolumab as a mono theraphy vrs.a combination of  Ipi and Nivo??

Scuba Doc
                            Participant

Why not just Nivolumab alone , when the early test results show an equal or better response using Nivolumab as a mono theraphy vrs.a combination of  Ipi and Nivo??

ed williams
                              Participant

Dear Anonymous, if you take a look at the ASCO 2014 interviews with Dr. Mario Sznol from Yale on youtube it would give you current data on the concurrent study of Nivolumab and Ipilimumab. He reports on the study which includes 53 patients reported at the 2013 ASCO. With overall survival curves of 85% at one year and 79% at two years. Other current info can be found on video " Immumotherapy- The Silver Bullet Against Cancer" sponsored by the Milken Institute on prostrate cancer. Speakers include Pam sharma from MD Anderson,Jedd Wolchok from Memorial Sloan -Kettering, Elliot Sigal MRA, and Charles Drake John Hopkins. Hope this information will be helpfull. Ed

ed williams
                                Participant

Dear Anonymous, if you take a look at the ASCO 2014 interviews with Dr. Mario Sznol from Yale on youtube it would give you current data on the concurrent study of Nivolumab and Ipilimumab. He reports on the study which includes 53 patients reported at the 2013 ASCO. With overall survival curves of 85% at one year and 79% at two years. Other current info can be found on video " Immumotherapy- The Silver Bullet Against Cancer" sponsored by the Milken Institute on prostrate cancer. Speakers include Pam sharma from MD Anderson,Jedd Wolchok from Memorial Sloan -Kettering, Elliot Sigal MRA, and Charles Drake John Hopkins. Hope this information will be helpfull. Ed

ed williams
                                  Participant

Scuba Doc
                                    Participant

RJoeyB
                                      Participant

Also remember that BMS has announced a separate EAP for nivolumab alone for patients who have already tried and failed ipilimumab.  I think it was announced in May and while details on locations have thus far been scarce, we're still in that 6-8 week period where they're still ramping things up, I assume.  Hopefully there will be more details about enrollment opportunities forthcoming very soon.

Joe

RJoeyB
                                        Participant

Joe

JoshF
                                        Participant

Thanks Tim. Very encouraging. Just wondering why they would exclude someone previously treated with ipi, especially if there was some type of response.

Josh

JoshF
                                          Participant

Josh

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics