The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Initial diagnosis: possible melanoma – go to Sloan?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Initial diagnosis: possible melanoma – go to Sloan?

Participant
      Just got off the phone with my dermatologist. The report came back as possibly melanoma in situ. She confirmed she did a deep shave, getting some of the dermis. The main pathologist & a few others reviewed the biopsy and they agree there is “something” atypical in a pre-existing mole, but that they do not think it is anything more than in-situ.

The deep shave did not get the entire mole apparently, so the next step is a wide excision to get clear margins. She said that there’s no need to check the lymph nodes. In my prior post I noted that they’re very swollen, but after doing more research I’m wondering if they’re muscle knots/trigger points. I really can’t tell.

My derm was trained at Memorial Sloan Kettering in Mohs Surgery, so she is certainly well-qualified to perform the WLE, but I’m considering going to Sloan anyway (if they’ll take me – it’s not sure if a possible melanoma-in-situ will qualify me for their services).

Does anyone know if Sloan would take me? If I go with my derm, I can get this done tomorrow. Sloan will need some time to get the samples & review themselves – and even then they might not take me.

Also just want to say I am very grateful to those who replied to my other post. Even though I didn’t get a 100% clean diagnosis – and I still have more to do – I feel at least some sense of relief.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        snootyusher
        Participant
          I decided it’s ridiculous to wait to get samples sent to MSKCC, then reviewed, then decide whether or not to see me for what is hopefully not even truly cancer. I’ve scheduled the excision with my dermatologist for tomorrow afternoon (back of neck, just below hairline).

Oh, and I think I forgot to say – the diagnosis came back as atypical intraepidermal melanocytic proliferation, arising in association with a compound dysplastic nevus. The pathologist goes on to say that they can’t rule out early malignant melanoma in situ, so therefore I need the WLE.

alysoy
            Participant
              Fantastic news! Regardless, it sounds like you’ll just need to have the WLE and then hopefully never have to worry about it ever again!! (fingers crossed, get those skins checks!)
              snootyusher
              Participant
                Thanks alysoy. I am definitely breathing a sigh of relief, but yeah – hopefully the WLE confirms the pathology report. After I’m healed up I’m definitely bringing up these hard knots in my neck with my primary care physician to put that concern to rest. And also buying a handheld mirror so I can do my own checks in between my regular derm exams.

Wishing you good luck with your results.

BillB
              Participant
                Hi, I get my treatment at Sloan, wouldn’t choose to go anywhere else in the northeast. With that said, if you live anywhere close I would go there. They will be able to treat all aspects of melanoma, not just a WLE. From the time I called them initially to having surgery was 8 days. In that time frame I met with my oncologist, surgeon and plastic surgeon. I travel from Syracuse NY and wouldn’t go any where else.
                Bill
                  snootyusher
                  Participant
                    Hi Bill – I am an NYC local, so very close to MSK. Given that all I need is WLE (fingers crossed), and that my derm could perform it in 24 hours after the pathology report, I figured let me just get it over with. Hopefully the WLE confirms that it’s not even in situ. Thank you for your thoughts though. And I checked your recent posts – congrats on being over 2 years NED and wishing you a lifetime of NED.
                    BillB
                    Participant
                      Thank you, Good Luck.
                      Bill
                Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics