The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

If you have a mole that’s concerning you, but you just had an annual check, is it okay to go again?

Forums If you have a mole that’s concerning you, but you just had an annual check, is it okay to go again?

Participant
      To start, I haven’t ever been diagnosed with melanoma, but I hope you all don’t mind the intrusion! I have a question about skin check frequency.

For background information, I am heavily covered in freckles and moles. I’ve had over a dozen second degree blistering sunburns in my childhood. No sunscreen would work and I would blister within an hour of being outside. I lived in Southern California and that often meant wearing hats all the time and being uninvited from beach birthday parties because parents would panic when they noticed my blisters, even though my parents would warn them that I would likely burn no matter how much sunscreen I used. To top that off, I have a family history of skin cancer and I also used tanning beds occasionally in my college years before I gave up on ever getting a tan because I would just burn in them, even if I was only in them for 5 minutes.

Currently, I’m 24 years old and I’d guess that I have a few hundred moles and thousands of freckles. I have essentially no unblemished skin – even my lips and eyelids have freckles. The main problem, and the one that’s prompting this question, is that I tend to grow kind of weird moles. I have a lot that are irregularly shaped and have multiple colors and variations in elevation. I also grow them really quickly, though it’s hard to really quantify how many I grow in a year because I have so many that they’re impossible to keep track of. I really only notice the ones that are obvious, for example a new one that I got this year on the palm of my hand.

What’s prompting my question: I had my annual skin check this summer and the dermatologist gave me the all clear on three moles that I had asked her about. Recently, I was just rubbing my lower back and I noticed a new raised bump a little above one of the ones I had her look at. I know it’s new because I have pictures of that area and it was immediately noticeable by touch and the feeling of it weirded me out enough that I immediately got up to see what it was. The odd thing is that it’s a white./pink color and its perfectly raised, which for me is unusual. As in, almost all of my moles are a mix of brown colors and unevenly raised or mostly flat. I don’t have a single perfectly raised mole. I know you all can’t actually speak on if something is concerning, but I figured I’d add a (super bad) pic anyways: https://i.postimg.cc/K8zPCJ8W/IMG-2875-2.jpg

I’m assuming it’s a mole since I couldn’t pop it or scratch it off (though I did manage to scratch it a bit) and it didn’t dimple when squeezed like I read most fibromas would.

I’m wondering if, in a case like this, it’s better to just wait until your next annual exam or if it’s okay to schedule a new one. I’ve read the rule of ‘wait 8 weeks if you notice something new’ but at that point, would there be such a difference between waiting 6 weeks and waiting a few more months?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        tkoss
        Participant
          tricky question. i am 3c under immotheray and oncologist, not dermatologist, prescribes after treatement regime a body survey every 3 months, then after some time, 6 months. the poin here is having had melanoma from a mole they are advising 3 and then 6 months reviews.

there are some skin cancers that are not melanoma and not nearly as fatal.

in my case, fair skinned texan who burned all the time as a kid, i didn’t get melanoma till i was 63. derm found one suspicious mole , biopsied, cancer, then 6 months later he found another., biopsied, cancer.
          so did the 2nd mole grown from nothing to cancerous in 6 months or did he overlook it originally? i cannot say.

my advice is research how quickly a mole can become cancerous, if possible, and adjust your doc visits to that info.

tkoss
          Participant
            tricky question. i am 3c under immotheray and oncologist, not dermatologist, prescribes after treatement regime a body survey every 3 months, then after some time, 6 months. the poin here is having had melanoma from a mole they are advising 3 and then 6 months reviews.

there are some skin cancers that are not melanoma and not nearly as fatal.

in my case, fair skinned texan who burned all the time as a kid, i didn’t get melanoma till i was 63. derm found one suspicious mole , biopsied, cancer, then 6 months later he found another., biopsied, cancer.
            so did the 2nd mole grown from nothing to cancerous in 6 months or did he overlook it originally? i cannot say.

my advice is research how quickly a mole can become cancerous, if possible, and adjust your doc visits to that info.

SABKLYN
            Participant
              If this is going to be a continuous source of worry and concern for the next 8 months, get it checked.
                Ellie_82
                Participant
                  HEY OP, I looked at your picture and to me, it looks benign. Keep in mind that I am not an MD though. I’d say that basically, you have 2 choices at this point:

1. Go have it checked ASAP; or
                  2. Measure it and take pictures and watch it for a few weeks for changes

You know, melanoma (especially nodular melanoma) will be growing, changing. If you don’t see any changes to it within a few weeks or a few months, then it is probably nothing. However, both choices above are valid and it depends more on your level of comfort. Good luck my friend, and keep us posted!

Kaitlin
                  Participant
                    Thank you all for the responses! I’ll just wait then and go again this summer unless I notice its changing a lot.
              Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics