The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How is NED determined..?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How is NED determined..?

Participant
      Hi Warriors,

May I ask, how do doctors determine if one is NED? Based on how many clean scans?

My mom was diagnosed back in February with mucosal melanoma in her cervix. She had a hysterectomy and removed it. March scan was clean, however in her July scan it showed met to her liver, intestines, pelvic and her bones. She undergone 2 weeks of intensive radiotherapy for her liver met and full dosage of keytruda tri-weekly. Her scan in October was said to be “clean” however the tumor has not yet shrunk just pronounced “dead.” The doc currently suggests finishing 3 more rounds of keytruda and possibly stopping treatment after if her scans come out clean again…

My question is typically how do the doctor determine NED? And how long after a “clean” scan do the doctor suggest stopping immunotherapy?

I understand these are questions I should be asking our doctor however my mom is in Taiwan and Taiwan does not have a lot of knowledge regarding this type of cancer.
      Post-surgery, our doctor recommended no adjuvant therapy and was shocked to see that it had met in only 4 months… for this reason I am reaching out to others to see what is recommended for you/your loved ones.

Really appreciate any feedback and support.

Thank you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Yuki
        Participant
          One other question I had was, if it’s in the blood stream, which our doctor suspected was the case after the surgery are there any tests that can be done to test that?
          Thank you.
          Julie in SoCal
          Participant
            Hi Yuki,

I’m not an expert, but I’ve figure that once you can’t find any disease anymore (via scans or blood tests or markers or whatever) you’re NED. I don’t think it takes multiple clear scans.

As for when to stop keytruda, Bubbles has a helpful post about this topic here: https://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/search?q=when+to+stop.

Wishing you and your mother peace. Shalom!
            Julie

Yuki
              Participant
                HI Julie,

Ah thank you! I’ve been looking and researching everywhere to get some clue and have not come across anything. Now having read Bubbles post and watching Dr. Weber’s video, I realized I should I searched key words “discontinuing…” Thank you so much for the information!!!!!

BR/Yuki
                [I’m not an expert, but I’ve figure that once you can’t find any disease anymore (via scans or blood tests or markers or whatever) you’re NED. I don’t think it takes multiple clear scans.] In response to this, my mom has only done 3 months of treatment so far and the scans are “clear” with tumor pronunced dead. Because everything is in mandarin, I am not sure if that is the same as no evidence of disease? Is there blood work that can be done in addition to PET/CT to further confirm no evidence of disease?

BR/Yuki

Viewing 1 reply thread
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics