The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How increased are my odds for another melanoma if I’ve already had one?

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community How increased are my odds for another melanoma if I’ve already had one?

Participant

Are my odds of another higher than for my siblings since I've already had one?  We have same skin type, same type of moles.  We have skin that tans, doesn't burn easily.  We do freckle and have multiple freckles but not that many moles.  I am a little confused as to how increased my odds are and how carefully I should be watching for a new one after my in situ diagnosis?

Are my odds of another higher than for my siblings since I've already had one?  We have same skin type, same type of moles.  We have skin that tans, doesn't burn easily.  We do freckle and have multiple freckles but not that many moles.  I am a little confused as to how increased my odds are and how carefully I should be watching for a new one after my in situ diagnosis?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

From what I have read the probability of getting a second melanoma ranges from 4-8%.  The good news is it will likely be another very non-lethal one since I would assume you are having regular skin exams now.  Here is a very good article on the subject.

http://archderm.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=477743

Regarding your family, it is hard to say.  My mother had melanoma but the Onc says that is not enough family history and my tumor did not carry any marker that would indicate familiar melanoma.  I have lots of sun damage, and that's the bottom line for me.  It's been 2 years now for me so if this article is correct, I may not see a second primary.  But with my former love of the sun I'm not taking chances!

I try not to worry about things I can't change.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

From what I have read the probability of getting a second melanoma ranges from 4-8%.  The good news is it will likely be another very non-lethal one since I would assume you are having regular skin exams now.  Here is a very good article on the subject.

Regarding your family, it is hard to say.  My mother had melanoma but the Onc says that is not enough family history and my tumor did not carry any marker that would indicate familiar melanoma.  I have lots of sun damage, and that's the bottom line for me.  It's been 2 years now for me so if this article is correct, I may not see a second primary.  But with my former love of the sun I'm not taking chances!

Mary

Stage 3

mlbjab
              Participant

Okay, that is low odds.  That is same as survival for stage 1 melanoma.  So I have same odds of another primary as someone stage 1 has of dying.  And I do read on here stage 1 does not generally have risk of dying.  I will keep up annual exams from my doctor but won't change my lifestyle.

mlbjab
                Participant

Okay, that is low odds.  That is same as survival for stage 1 melanoma.  So I have same odds of another primary as someone stage 1 has of dying.  And I do read on here stage 1 does not generally have risk of dying.  I will keep up annual exams from my doctor but won't change my lifestyle.

mlbjab
                  Participant

washoegal
                  Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                    Participant

Your odds of a second primary run in the 8-10% range depending on the source.  If you have a strong family history or if you have dysplastic nevus syndrome (lots of atypical moles), your risk is higher.  You are also at much higher risk for the other types of skin cancer now.  While they have a better survival rate, they can be disfiguring when removed.  If you are the only one in your family with melanoma, your kids would have a 2-3 times higher likelihood than the general population to get melanoma.  It's a little less clear with siblings, but if they share the same skin type and sun habits as you, their risk would probably be similar.  Changing your lifestyle is up to you, and it also depends on what you mean.  Being sun smart is probably a really good idea.  Any tan is basically skin damage.  Being "healthy" just makes sense, but diet/supplements/etc don't have much in the way of scientific study to say they'll decrease your risk of recurrence or a second primary.  Moderation is always a great mantra to consider.  Watch your moles for CHANGE and watch for that "ugly duckling" mole that stands out.

mlbjab
                        Participant

So even if my kids never get sunburn and do not visit sunbeds they will still have 2-3 times higher risk? 

mlbjab
                          Participant

So even if my kids never get sunburn and do not visit sunbeds they will still have 2-3 times higher risk? 

mlbjab
                            Participant

Webbie73
                              Participant
                                Janner, do you have any statistics on if a person has had all of the above? Atypical nevi, SKs, AKs,melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Or any links?
                                Webbie73
                                Participant
                                  Janner, do you have any statistics on if a person has had all of the above? Atypical nevi, SKs, AKs,melanoma and squamous cell carcinoma. Or any links?
                                  Janner
                                  Participant

No, I have no links for anything like that.  Most risks are "relative risks".  Say for instance you have red hair.  That has a relative risk of maybe 5% (don't remember actual figures).  You have a 5% higher risk than someone with black hair.  Say you have blue eyes.  That might have a 3% relative risk.  If you have red hair and blue eyes, your risk isn't 8%.  It isn't cummulative.  It's a relative risk only.  The same thing goes for having atypical nevi or AK's.  SK's are totally benign so not really in the equation.  BCC and SCC increase the risk as well.  But you can't make any assumptions that having all of these factors will make you much higher risk than someone who only has one or two factors.  Maybe, maybe not.  Each factor is independently evaluated against the general non-melanoma population and I haven't seen data where multiple factors are included to evaluate risk.

Janner
                                    Participant

No, I have no links for anything like that.  Most risks are "relative risks".  Say for instance you have red hair.  That has a relative risk of maybe 5% (don't remember actual figures).  You have a 5% higher risk than someone with black hair.  Say you have blue eyes.  That might have a 3% relative risk.  If you have red hair and blue eyes, your risk isn't 8%.  It isn't cummulative.  It's a relative risk only.  The same thing goes for having atypical nevi or AK's.  SK's are totally benign so not really in the equation.  BCC and SCC increase the risk as well.  But you can't make any assumptions that having all of these factors will make you much higher risk than someone who only has one or two factors.  Maybe, maybe not.  Each factor is independently evaluated against the general non-melanoma population and I haven't seen data where multiple factors are included to evaluate risk.

washoegal
                                      Participant

Janner, I have never read the 2-3 times higher risk for children if a parent has melanoma.  My Onc.  (Dr Hamid, Angeles Clinic) has pretty much discounted any connection between my mother having it and my having it.  Wondering if anyone has any back-up for this.  I know Janner usually has right on info. Just curious.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                        Participant

Janner, I have never read the 2-3 times higher risk for children if a parent has melanoma.  My Onc.  (Dr Hamid, Angeles Clinic) has pretty much discounted any connection between my mother having it and my having it.  Wondering if anyone has any back-up for this.  I know Janner usually has right on info. Just curious.

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
                                          Participant

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                                            Participant

I participated in a high risk familial melanoma study.  The institution I go to does a lot of genetic research – it's their focus.  These are the notes I took at the study and from the video they created:

Risk Factors for Melanoma
                                              These are compared to the normal caucasian population who do not have melanoma.  
                                              These are relative risks, not cumulative.

If several people in your family have melanoma:
                                              35-70 times greater risk to develop melanoma

If you've had a previous Primary melanoma:
                                              8.5 times greater risk to develop melanoma

If you have a family history of just 1 person in your family:
                                              2-3 times as likely to develop melanoma

If you have Type I skin (always burns, never tans), freckles,
                                              blue eyes, red hair:
                                              7.4-10 times more likely to get melanoma

If you've had one blistering sunburn:
                                              You are at 2 to 3 times greater risk than the average caucasian
                                              without blistering sunburn history.

Many/Unusual Moles
                                              2 to 12 times greater chance of getting melanoma

90% of melanomas are sporadic meaning their is no genetic defect.

Other reasons why MM may cluster in families:
                                              Shared environment
                                              Shared sun exposure
                                              Normal features that are inherited

Clues for an Inherited Risk of MM:
                                              Several family members with melanoma
                                              Melanoma in many generations
                                              Melanoma occuring at a younger than usual age
                                              One person with one or more melanoma primaries
                                              Many/Unusual looking moles
                                              The presence of certain other related types of cancer within the family

NOT ALL families have all of these clues, but even having 1 or more
                                              of these clues in a family makes it more likely that there is an
                                              inherited risk for melanoma.

P16 Gene Mutation:

People born with the P16 mutation are thought to have an increased
                                              risk of melanoma.  75% chance of developing melanoma, small increased risk 
                                              of other related cancers.
                                              Janner
                                              Participant

I participated in a high risk familial melanoma study.  The institution I go to does a lot of genetic research – it's their focus.  These are the notes I took at the study and from the video they created:

blue eyes, red hair:

Many/Unusual Moles

Shared environment
                                                Shared sun exposure

P16 Gene Mutation:

Janner
                                                Participant

blue eyes, red hair:

Many/Unusual Moles

Shared environment
                                                  Shared sun exposure

P16 Gene Mutation:

Janner
                                                  Participant

Sorry, my formatting got screwed up.  These were supposed to be bullet lists.  Oh well, the info is still there.

Janner
                                                    Participant

Sorry, my formatting got screwed up.  These were supposed to be bullet lists.  Oh well, the info is still there.

Janner
                                                      Participant

JC
                                                        Participant

The presence of certain other related types of cancer within the family . . . . what other related types of cancers?

JC
                                                          Participant

The presence of certain other related types of cancer within the family . . . . what other related types of cancers?

JC
                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                              Participant

I don't remember the entire list (there were about 8 of them), but having pancreatic cancer and melanoma in one family were the two most stressed.  With the p16 genetic defect (realize this is only 2-4% of the melanoma population who have this defect), the risk of pancreatic cancer runs 11-17%.  Normal risk for just anyone is <1%.  So having both in one family raises red flags for the p16 genetic defect.

Janner
                                                                Participant

I don't remember the entire list (there were about 8 of them), but having pancreatic cancer and melanoma in one family were the two most stressed.  With the p16 genetic defect (realize this is only 2-4% of the melanoma population who have this defect), the risk of pancreatic cancer runs 11-17%.  Normal risk for just anyone is <1%.  So having both in one family raises red flags for the p16 genetic defect.

Janner
                                                                  Participant

LynnLuc
                                                                    Participant

NO one in my family had cancer…ever…until my mom…she died at 45 with cervical cancer…then my son died at 16 with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma…my moms sister had breast cancer and is surviving. Then I have stage 4 melanoma and now my brother 3 years my senior just found out he has tonsil cancer…he goes back Tuesday to find out the specifics…I had blistering sun burns as a kid…easy enough because I do have red hair, freckles, fair skin and blue eyes…my brother and I have no kids with red hair but the grand kids… lol  most of them have the bright red hair blue eyes and fair complexion…I believe they are at an elevated risk….

LynnLuc
                                                                      Participant

NO one in my family had cancer…ever…until my mom…she died at 45 with cervical cancer…then my son died at 16 with Desmoplastic Small Round Cell Sarcoma…my moms sister had breast cancer and is surviving. Then I have stage 4 melanoma and now my brother 3 years my senior just found out he has tonsil cancer…he goes back Tuesday to find out the specifics…I had blistering sun burns as a kid…easy enough because I do have red hair, freckles, fair skin and blue eyes…my brother and I have no kids with red hair but the grand kids… lol  most of them have the bright red hair blue eyes and fair complexion…I believe they are at an elevated risk….

LynnLuc
                                                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                                                          Participant

Hi Mary,

My husbands derm said that since he has melanoma that our children and his siblings should be checked often as they are at a higher risk.

Judy

Gene_S
                                                                            Participant

Hi Mary,

My husbands derm said that since he has melanoma that our children and his siblings should be checked often as they are at a higher risk.

Judy

Gene_S
                                                                              Participant

Hi Mary,

Judy

Janner
                                                                                Participant

Webbie73
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                  Janner
                                                                                  Participant

Your odds of a second primary run in the 8-10% range depending on the source.  If you have a strong family history or if you have dysplastic nevus syndrome (lots of atypical moles), your risk is higher.  You are also at much higher risk for the other types of skin cancer now.  While they have a better survival rate, they can be disfiguring when removed.  If you are the only one in your family with melanoma, your kids would have a 2-3 times higher likelihood than the general population to get melanoma.  It's a little less clear with siblings, but if they share the same skin type and sun habits as you, their risk would probably be similar.  Changing your lifestyle is up to you, and it also depends on what you mean.  Being sun smart is probably a really good idea.  Any tan is basically skin damage.  Being "healthy" just makes sense, but diet/supplements/etc don't have much in the way of scientific study to say they'll decrease your risk of recurrence or a second primary.  Moderation is always a great mantra to consider.  Watch your moles for CHANGE and watch for that "ugly duckling" mole that stands out.

Janner
                                                                                    Participant

Charlie S
                                                                                      Participant

How long is piece of string?  

What are the odds of your siblings winning the lottery because you did?

It is well advised to watch ones skin.  But no matter what, just because you did, does not mean any one else will..

Your odds are just as good as mine.  Neither one of us getting out of here alive.

Watch your skin for changes, but put this in your head that In Situ is melanoma zero…………….in other words, you do not have melanoma.

Consider it a friendly shot across the bow of your bathtub boat.  You do not have melanoma.  Yes, you may in the future, but it is unlikely, but you must be aware of the possibility.

No one here has a crystal ball that can portend the future.

Be smart, be safe, but please do not obsess because you DO NOT have Melanoma right now.

Okay?

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                        Participant

It is well advised to watch ones skin.  But no matter what, just because you did, does not mean any one else will..

Your odds are just as good as mine.  Neither one of us getting out of here alive.

Watch your skin for changes, but put this in your head that In Situ is melanoma zero…………….in other words, you do not have melanoma.

Consider it a friendly shot across the bow of your bathtub boat.  You do not have melanoma.  Yes, you may in the future, but it is unlikely, but you must be aware of the possibility.

Be smart, be safe, but please do not obsess because you DO NOT have Melanoma right now.

Okay?

Charlie S

JC
                                                                                            Participant

Is that only for in situ?  what about a thin 1a that was excised?  would you/could you say the same about that?

JC
                                                                                              Participant

Is that only for in situ?  what about a thin 1a that was excised?  would you/could you say the same about that?

JC
                                                                                                Participant

mlbjab
                                                                                                  Participant

I am the orignial poster.  It seems other anonymous is posting in my thread.  i haven't asked all other questions.

So you are saying in situ not real melanoma?  So are those who had only in situ melanoma only at risk for other in situs  maybe this is just how their moles are?  Maybe you can have lots of in situs which some say are just pathologically odd moles, but maybe it isn't really a cancer?

Charlie S
                                                                                                    Participant

Look, I didn't make the rules, but every seminar, webinar, symposium, every piece of medical literature, pathology reviews, demapathology reports is that In-Situ is Melanoma O————–that is Melanoma Zero.

This has always been controversial, but I don't get it.  In-Situ is Melanoma Zero, so in my mind that means one does not have melanoma, and why this No Melanoma/Melanoma diagnosis even exists.  To me it is just an extension of pre-cancerous…………….which is kind of like being pre-pregnant…………..either you are or you are not.

At a MRF sponsered symposium at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill I heard a dermapath say very clearly that In-Situ is NOT melanoma.

Again, I didn't make the rules, but this seems to be a labeling issue that ASCO should resolve, because as it is now, it instills unfounded fear, confusion, and offers no intelligent way forward for an informed and proactive patient.

So yes, I am saying, according to my interpretation of the available science, In-Sit is NOT melanoma.

For all the naysayers, rail at me all you want, but consider the scientific evidence.  In-Situ is NOT a diagnosis of Melanoma.as presently defined by those that define such things.

This, in no way is an attempt to negate the fears of those with a In-Situ dx.  What I would sugest is you ask your doctor this question "Is this or is this not Melanoma?"

And no, for the poster that inquired about 1-A, 1-A is a genuine Melanoma diagnosis, if the path supports it.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Nicole78
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi, I’ve been diagnosed with melanoma in Situ so that was the shock of my life πŸ™ I could only see the bad things in front πŸ™ I had the excision , on the back I had a dysplastic one and had that removed as well and waiting now for one on my nipples which I really hope to come back ok , I had enough already πŸ™ the amount of stress and anxiety is huge , you just can’t see ahead πŸ™ so I really hope the last one they found will be fine πŸ™ there is the fear that they will find another one, or that the melanoma will form inside the body and other things like these πŸ™ it’s so good to discuss about these problems and I’m so thankful for your support. Thank you 

Charlie S
                                                                                                        Participant

Look, I didn't make the rules, but every seminar, webinar, symposium, every piece of medical literature, pathology reviews, demapathology reports is that In-Situ is Melanoma O————–that is Melanoma Zero.

This has always been controversial, but I don't get it.  In-Situ is Melanoma Zero, so in my mind that means one does not have melanoma, and why this No Melanoma/Melanoma diagnosis even exists.  To me it is just an extension of pre-cancerous…………….which is kind of like being pre-pregnant…………..either you are or you are not.

At a MRF sponsered symposium at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill I heard a dermapath say very clearly that In-Situ is NOT melanoma.

Again, I didn't make the rules, but this seems to be a labeling issue that ASCO should resolve, because as it is now, it instills unfounded fear, confusion, and offers no intelligent way forward for an informed and proactive patient.

So yes, I am saying, according to my interpretation of the available science, In-Sit is NOT melanoma.

For all the naysayers, rail at me all you want, but consider the scientific evidence.  In-Situ is NOT a diagnosis of Melanoma.as presently defined by those that define such things.

This, in no way is an attempt to negate the fears of those with a In-Situ dx.  What I would sugest is you ask your doctor this question "Is this or is this not Melanoma?"

And no, for the poster that inquired about 1-A, 1-A is a genuine Melanoma diagnosis, if the path supports it.

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                                                          Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

mlbjab
                                                                                                            Participant

I am the orignial poster.  It seems other anonymous is posting in my thread.  i haven't asked all other questions.

So you are saying in situ not real melanoma?  So are those who had only in situ melanoma only at risk for other in situs  maybe this is just how their moles are?  Maybe you can have lots of in situs which some say are just pathologically odd moles, but maybe it isn't really a cancer?

mlbjab
                                                                                                              Participant

Charlie S
                                                                                                              Participant

Okay?

Charlie S

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics