The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

help with husband’s pathology report

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community help with husband’s pathology report

Participant

Looking for help. Trying to understand my husband's pathology report. Doctors say his melanoma was in situ but I'm trying to understand because it doesn't say how big the margins are only that it was caught early and was low risk.  

-residual malignant melanoma in situ

-margins are negative

-previous biospy site changes

Microscopic description: Sections show a proliferation of junctional melanocytes exhibiting confluent growth along the dermoepidemal junction and pagetoid spread.  The tumor is located in close proximity to an area with changes consistent with a previous biopsy site. All margins are negative. 

Gross Description-

Received in formalin, labled right ear lesion, is a irregular skin with subcutaneous tissue with a single stich marking superior and double stitch marking posterior.  The specimen measures as follows: 2.2 cm from superior to inferior, 1.8 cm from anterior to posterior and 0.4 cm from superficial to deep.  The specimen is inked as follows: Green for posterior half and black for anterior half. 

I didn't go with him to his follow up appointment and just looking for some help understanding this. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

So was this the wide excision?  Since it says "residual melanoma" and previous biopsy, it appears this is the second surgery in the area.  Obviously, the biopsy didn't have clear margins because there was residual melanoma.  There is no indication of margins although the tissue removed may be large enough.  The info may have been conveyed to your derm in another manner, but I see no reason not to confirm the margins.  You want a minimum of 5mm but recent research actually says 9mm might be a better number.  GIven the location, anatomy might dictate what is realistic.  If your derm isn't forthcoming, you could request that the pathologist clarify things.  Other than that, there is really nothing more about the report I could comment on.  Yes, melanoma in situ is low risk but good margins are essential to stopping it right there.

JL44
            Participant

Yes, this was done after a shave biopsy was done in the dermatologist's office.  The surgeon said that the margins were 5 mm or greater, but we can't find that anywhere on the actual report, in writing. I'm wondering if I am missing a sheet from the report or whether the doctor is just assuming because the tissue he removed was so large. I'd like to know for sure and I don't he would say what the margins were without really knowing. He also told my husband that the shave biospy done first almost removed all of it, the surgery was aggressive (which my husband wanted) and more than sufficient. Advice?  Thanks for your help.

Janner
              Participant

All you can do is either ask the surgeon or the pathologist for something in writing.  Usually, path reports state margins, but not everyone follows the same format and something like that could have been communicated verbally.  But if there isn't anything in writing, ask for a second opinion on someone reading the slides.  Insurance should cover it.

Janner
                Participant

All you can do is either ask the surgeon or the pathologist for something in writing.  Usually, path reports state margins, but not everyone follows the same format and something like that could have been communicated verbally.  But if there isn't anything in writing, ask for a second opinion on someone reading the slides.  Insurance should cover it.

Janner
                  Participant

JL44
                    Participant

Yes, this was done after a shave biopsy was done in the dermatologist's office.  The surgeon said that the margins were 5 mm or greater, but we can't find that anywhere on the actual report, in writing. I'm wondering if I am missing a sheet from the report or whether the doctor is just assuming because the tissue he removed was so large. I'd like to know for sure and I don't he would say what the margins were without really knowing. He also told my husband that the shave biospy done first almost removed all of it, the surgery was aggressive (which my husband wanted) and more than sufficient. Advice?  Thanks for your help.

JL44
                      Participant

Janner
                      Participant

So was this the wide excision?  Since it says "residual melanoma" and previous biopsy, it appears this is the second surgery in the area.  Obviously, the biopsy didn't have clear margins because there was residual melanoma.  There is no indication of margins although the tissue removed may be large enough.  The info may have been conveyed to your derm in another manner, but I see no reason not to confirm the margins.  You want a minimum of 5mm but recent research actually says 9mm might be a better number.  GIven the location, anatomy might dictate what is realistic.  If your derm isn't forthcoming, you could request that the pathologist clarify things.  Other than that, there is really nothing more about the report I could comment on.  Yes, melanoma in situ is low risk but good margins are essential to stopping it right there.

Janner
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics