The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Help with CT scan results

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Help with CT scan results

Participant

My husband has mucosal melnoma which has spread recently.

We received the CT scan results but don't quite understand them. We will have a hospital appointment in a week but it would be good to hear what other people are thinking:

Multiple sub-centimetre pulmonary nodules (left upper lobe 4mm, middle lobe 5mm.

No enlarged lymph nodes

Multiple hepatic lesions. Largest 5.7cm, this is heterogeneous and lies within segment 5/8.

A 1cm peritoneal nodule is present.

No focal bony involvement.

My husband has mucosal melnoma which has spread recently.

We received the CT scan results but don't quite understand them. We will have a hospital appointment in a week but it would be good to hear what other people are thinking:

Multiple sub-centimetre pulmonary nodules (left upper lobe 4mm, middle lobe 5mm.

No enlarged lymph nodes

Multiple hepatic lesions. Largest 5.7cm, this is heterogeneous and lies within segment 5/8.

Does that all sound very bad? 5cm sounds already quite big.

Husband will start with chemotherapy in a week, but only 2 or 3 cycles and then he will go on to Ipilimumab compassionate trial.

We asked for PD-1 trials, but they are not available in the UK yet. As he has mucosal melanoma he is not eleigible formany trials and he was also tested negative for braf and c-kit, which seems that his only possibility at the moment is Ipi.

Thanks for your help!

Claudia

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Lori C
        Participant

Hi,

Someone else will be able to do this better but as weekends are slow here, I will give you my two cents.

There are more than one < than a centimetre lung tumors in the upper left lobe.  These are very small.

No enlarged lymph nodes

This is pretty self explanatory, just no abnormal lymph nodes seen.

This is the one of most concern to me.  There are many liver tumors. 

There is a tumor in the peritoneal cavity.

There are no mets observed in the skeletal areas.

claudia-uk
            Participant

Thank you Lori!

Could someone please let me know if that is a lot of metastases, or normal , can the liver mets removed surgically or is that not possible with the size or if there are too many already?

Did Ipi work for people with liver and lung mets?

I would just like to collect some more information before we have the hospital appointment in a week.

James from Sydney
              Participant

Claudia, a systemic approach is the most logical and it sounds you are heading that way. They can operate on the liver but  they may advise against it based on the location on the liver and the fact there is disease elsewhere. You would expect a long process of healing following a liver Operation which therefore allows the disease in other parts to keep growing.

Ask about the Delcath delivery method which isolates the Liver and delivers a large dose of chemo without affecting the rest of his body. Ippilimumab hopefully will yield the best response.

best wishes

James

claudia-uk
                Participant

James, thank you so much for your very useful information!

claudia-uk
                  Participant

James, thank you so much for your very useful information!

James from Sydney
                    Participant

Claudia, a systemic approach is the most logical and it sounds you are heading that way. They can operate on the liver but  they may advise against it based on the location on the liver and the fact there is disease elsewhere. You would expect a long process of healing following a liver Operation which therefore allows the disease in other parts to keep growing.

Ask about the Delcath delivery method which isolates the Liver and delivers a large dose of chemo without affecting the rest of his body. Ippilimumab hopefully will yield the best response.

best wishes

James

claudia-uk
                      Participant

Thank you Lori!

Could someone please let me know if that is a lot of metastases, or normal , can the liver mets removed surgically or is that not possible with the size or if there are too many already?

Did Ipi work for people with liver and lung mets?

I would just like to collect some more information before we have the hospital appointment in a week.

Lori C
                      Participant

Hi,

Someone else will be able to do this better but as weekends are slow here, I will give you my two cents.

There are more than one < than a centimetre lung tumors in the upper left lobe.  These are very small.

No enlarged lymph nodes

This is pretty self explanatory, just no abnormal lymph nodes seen.

This is the one of most concern to me.  There are many liver tumors. 

There is a tumor in the peritoneal cavity.

There are no mets observed in the skeletal areas.

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics