The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hard Pea like bump 2 inches from excised melanoma

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Hard Pea like bump 2 inches from excised melanoma

Participant

Hi-I was diagnosed feb of 2013 with stage 3b melanoma at mayo-primary site was under side of right arm that spread into my right axilla-1 node macro. I turned down interferon and radiation. They did a wide excision and also took out 48 armpit lymph nodes/just one fat one was positive. Well since then I've had unrelated pap thyroid cancer (ablated and dead) and now I have a pea sized hard lump a couple of inches from my forearm site. It has been there for a month and doesn't seem to change. Forgot my mitotic rate was 4 from melanoma. So should I get the hard pea cut out just under my skin (no color and it formed under the skin) or should I leave it for my pet scan/ultrasound in March? What do you think?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

I'd suggest a biopsy.  PET scans don't always see small lesions (<5mm) and anything new/different in the vicinity of your WLE sounds suspicious.  It could be a "sub-q" (subcutaneous lesion).  I'd definitely have it biopsied now as opposed to waiting for March.  It could be something as simple as a lipoma, but this is one of those times where it is best to know for certain given the location.  Good luck.

Janner
          Participant

I'd suggest a biopsy.  PET scans don't always see small lesions (<5mm) and anything new/different in the vicinity of your WLE sounds suspicious.  It could be a "sub-q" (subcutaneous lesion).  I'd definitely have it biopsied now as opposed to waiting for March.  It could be something as simple as a lipoma, but this is one of those times where it is best to know for certain given the location.  Good luck.

Janner
            Participant

stars
              Participant

Toby, as melanoma patients we all have to be super vigilant about anything new cropping up on or near our scar sites. Under the skin/no colour does not automatically mean innocent (like you might assume, as most melanoma is pigmented).  I am hoping and praying that your little lump is nothing, but get that thing biopsied as soon as possible. At best, for peace of mind, at worst you'll nip any little local recurrence in the bud. Thinking of you and hoping for the best,

Stars

stars
                Participant

Toby, as melanoma patients we all have to be super vigilant about anything new cropping up on or near our scar sites. Under the skin/no colour does not automatically mean innocent (like you might assume, as most melanoma is pigmented).  I am hoping and praying that your little lump is nothing, but get that thing biopsied as soon as possible. At best, for peace of mind, at worst you'll nip any little local recurrence in the bud. Thinking of you and hoping for the best,

Stars

stars
                  Participant

Stars

jenny22
                    Participant

Hello Toby0987-

I will simply echo what others have said, and certainly dont want to scare you……BUT anything that "pops" up anywhere and especially near your incision should be looked and biopsied immediately. 

I am in the midst of same situation….just had surgery for 2nd recurrence, thankfully still local and just subcutaneous lesions, but very scary…..

Please get that pea size lump biopsied asap!

best,

jenny

Toby0987
                        Participant

Well-I got it cut out on Friday-just waiting for the results. I knew what I had to hear it out loud-thanks group. I will let you know how it turns out

Toby0987
                          Participant

Well-I got it cut out on Friday-just waiting for the results. I knew what I had to hear it out loud-thanks group. I will let you know how it turns out

Toby0987
                            Participant

Marissasrn
                              Participant

In just echoing and I am greatful you got it taken off. At MD Anderson they said anything that feels like a pea or kernel of corn get it off immediately due to that is what it feels like. Not to scare you and you'll know this week hopefully, but thank you for getting it removed. I pray for good results. 

Marissasrn
                                Participant

In just echoing and I am greatful you got it taken off. At MD Anderson they said anything that feels like a pea or kernel of corn get it off immediately due to that is what it feels like. Not to scare you and you'll know this week hopefully, but thank you for getting it removed. I pray for good results. 

Toby0987
                                  Participant

Well-got the report and it turns out to be nothing. Just a nerve that had been cut during my 2013 wle that balled up into a hard pea. Thanks for the advice-I'll take that call from the dr all day long.  Happy thanksgiving! Toby

Toby0987
                                    Participant

Well-got the report and it turns out to be nothing. Just a nerve that had been cut during my 2013 wle that balled up into a hard pea. Thanks for the advice-I'll take that call from the dr all day long.  Happy thanksgiving! Toby

casagrayson
                                      Participant

Excellent!!!

casagrayson
                                        Participant

Excellent!!!

casagrayson
                                          Participant

Excellent!!!

Toby0987
                                            Participant

Marissasrn
                                              Participant

jenny22
                                              Participant

Hello Toby0987-

I will simply echo what others have said, and certainly dont want to scare you……BUT anything that "pops" up anywhere and especially near your incision should be looked and biopsied immediately. 

I am in the midst of same situation….just had surgery for 2nd recurrence, thankfully still local and just subcutaneous lesions, but very scary…..

best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                Participant

Hello Toby0987-

best,

jenny

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics