The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

getting stitches out

Forums General Melanoma Community getting stitches out

Participant

I had a conseratvie excision on my back. Yesterday I got the stiches out, and was told I didn't have to do any wound care. The area still feels raw and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to help it heal faster? I dont really want to put valsine on it. 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kristin_22
        Participant

I just had a wide excision about 4 weeks ago on my right mid back. The incision was about 6.5 inches long. I kept it covered the entire time and used prescription antibiotic ointment on the stitches. They came out at two weeks and I continued to keep the incision covered until about the 22nd post-surgery day. It is much better now. I'm happy I kept the wound covered and it is healing pretty well. 

Kristin_22
          Participant

I just had a wide excision about 4 weeks ago on my right mid back. The incision was about 6.5 inches long. I kept it covered the entire time and used prescription antibiotic ointment on the stitches. They came out at two weeks and I continued to keep the incision covered until about the 22nd post-surgery day. It is much better now. I'm happy I kept the wound covered and it is healing pretty well. 

Brigitte
              Participant

That sounds like the best thing to do, but I cant imaine keeping it covered anymore. The bandages were making my skin raw. Ive tried coconut oil but it burns a little. I guess I could keep going with the vasiline, but Im not a big fan of vasiline. 

Gene_S
                Participant

Hello,

Coconut oil has healing proporties and vaseline has none.

Gene_S
                  Participant

Hello,

Gene_S
                    Participant

Hello,

Brigitte
                      Participant

Thanks…. I think I will try the coconut oil instead of the vaseline. 

Brigitte
                        Participant

Gene_S
                          Participant

I just wanted to mention make sure it is coconut oil and not coconut oil in a lotion.  It really shouldn't burn.

Gene_S
                            Participant

I just wanted to mention make sure it is coconut oil and not coconut oil in a lotion.  It really shouldn't burn.

Brigitte
                              Participant

Ok thanks! 

Brigitte
                                Participant

Ok thanks! 

Brigitte
                                  Participant

Ok thanks! 

Gene_S
                                    Participant

Brigitte
                                      Participant

Kristin_22
                                        Participant

I also experienced more misery from the adhesive rash/welt than I did from the actual incision. About a week post-surgery, I was actually ripping off bits of skin so I also had to deal with the scabs from that as well as the sutures. I

managed that by varying the size of the bandages. Sometimes a huge one to get as far away from any other welts and sometimes one with just a tiny bit of adhesive as close to the incision as I could get. My incision was about 8" long so a fair amt of skin was affected. Make sure you are using paper tape. I also found relief from tape provided by the surgeon called Hypafix, but it was tough to find and also caused a reaction about the third or fourth day of use. 

Thankfully, I'm four weeks out now and no longer need it covered. It's healing rather well. I used coconut oil on it and it helped. Also used cortizone cream for the worst of the itching but it hampered the stickiness of the bandages. A friend gave me some Frankincense  essential oil which I mixed with the coconut oil. It was pretty remarkable how quickly it helped. You might research the benefits of the Frankinsense. 

Hope you're feeling better. Kristin

Kristin_22
                                          Participant

I also experienced more misery from the adhesive rash/welt than I did from the actual incision. About a week post-surgery, I was actually ripping off bits of skin so I also had to deal with the scabs from that as well as the sutures. I

managed that by varying the size of the bandages. Sometimes a huge one to get as far away from any other welts and sometimes one with just a tiny bit of adhesive as close to the incision as I could get. My incision was about 8" long so a fair amt of skin was affected. Make sure you are using paper tape. I also found relief from tape provided by the surgeon called Hypafix, but it was tough to find and also caused a reaction about the third or fourth day of use. 

Thankfully, I'm four weeks out now and no longer need it covered. It's healing rather well. I used coconut oil on it and it helped. Also used cortizone cream for the worst of the itching but it hampered the stickiness of the bandages. A friend gave me some Frankincense  essential oil which I mixed with the coconut oil. It was pretty remarkable how quickly it helped. You might research the benefits of the Frankinsense. 

Janner
                                            Participant

In the future, search for a barrier wipe.  The one I currently have is Skin-Prep but there are others.  Wipe the area before applying tape.  Works MUCH better.  I had to tell my derm about this but wound care nurses know all about this stuff.  Makes a huge difference on anything skin and tape related as I'm allergic to all the adhesives.

Janner
                                              Participant

In the future, search for a barrier wipe.  The one I currently have is Skin-Prep but there are others.  Wipe the area before applying tape.  Works MUCH better.  I had to tell my derm about this but wound care nurses know all about this stuff.  Makes a huge difference on anything skin and tape related as I'm allergic to all the adhesives.

Janner
                                                Participant

Kristin_22
                                                  Participant

Brigitte
                                                    Participant

That sounds like the best thing to do, but I cant imaine keeping it covered anymore. The bandages were making my skin raw. Ive tried coconut oil but it burns a little. I guess I could keep going with the vasiline, but Im not a big fan of vasiline. 

Brigitte
                                                      Participant

Kristin_22
                                                      Participant

DZnDef
                                                        Participant

Another option to consider instead of Vasiline is Bag Balm.  My Dad had recurring basal cell carcinomas that needed to be cut out every six months.  He would refuse stitches and instead clean the open wound with hydrogen peroxide (sp?) and remove any scabbing daily and then cover it with Bag Balm.  They took longer to heal this way, but when they finally healed there was no scarring.  Just normal skin.

DZnDef
                                                          Participant

Another option to consider instead of Vasiline is Bag Balm.  My Dad had recurring basal cell carcinomas that needed to be cut out every six months.  He would refuse stitches and instead clean the open wound with hydrogen peroxide (sp?) and remove any scabbing daily and then cover it with Bag Balm.  They took longer to heal this way, but when they finally healed there was no scarring.  Just normal skin.

Resilient4Life
                                                              Participant

Hello Brigette,

Equinox Botanicals makes a product called The Golden Salve with propolis. Some health food stores or Co-ops sell small tins (o.25oz) for around $5.

http://www.equinoxbotanicals.com/our-products/the-golden-salve/golden-salve-medium

The ingredients are: Olive Safflower & Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Propolis, Calendula Flower, Yellowdock Root, Balm of Gilead Bud, Comfrey Root and Goldenseal Root. The color is a medium amber, and it has a faint odor which I can't quite describe. I've used this after minor surgeries with my PCP's blessing. Both my biopsy sites were treated with this as well and healed up fine. I agree with the previous poster to clean with hydrogen peroxide first. Coconut oil in its purest form  will work well too.

Clean and treat twice a day. Hope you heal well.

Resilient4Life
                                                                Participant

Hello Brigette,

Equinox Botanicals makes a product called The Golden Salve with propolis. Some health food stores or Co-ops sell small tins (o.25oz) for around $5.

http://www.equinoxbotanicals.com/our-products/the-golden-salve/golden-salve-medium

The ingredients are: Olive Safflower & Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Propolis, Calendula Flower, Yellowdock Root, Balm of Gilead Bud, Comfrey Root and Goldenseal Root. The color is a medium amber, and it has a faint odor which I can't quite describe. I've used this after minor surgeries with my PCP's blessing. Both my biopsy sites were treated with this as well and healed up fine. I agree with the previous poster to clean with hydrogen peroxide first. Coconut oil in its purest form  will work well too.

Resilient4Life
                                                                  Participant

Hello Brigette,

DZnDef
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics