The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Getting on with getting on

Forums Caregiver Community Getting on with getting on

Participant

The post last week entitled "death and courage" made me think a lot about this situation we find ourselves in – as I'm sure it did many others who read and post here. I've been participating in this discussion group for 10 months now, and I don't think I have taken any other posts quite so personally in all that time. It helped me come to terms with some of the aspects of caring for and about my husband that so often go undiscussed between us.

The post last week entitled "death and courage" made me think a lot about this situation we find ourselves in – as I'm sure it did many others who read and post here. I've been participating in this discussion group for 10 months now, and I don't think I have taken any other posts quite so personally in all that time. It helped me come to terms with some of the aspects of caring for and about my husband that so often go undiscussed between us. We have lasted through 42 years of marriage without talking about some important topics that hang in the air between us. Through the years I've learned to be more self-sufficient emotionally, and to understand that even though he doesn't share some of his inward feelings with me, it doesn't mean he's not feeling them. If we had not learned to accommodate each other's divergent styles, I'm fairly certain we would not have stayed together so long. I hope the patient who posted those thoughts has come to a better place by now.

Last week's anonymous post came at an interesting time for me. We have recently finished the GVAX trial at Hopkins. Now it's time to see what's next in our lives. I've written about that on my blog, and rather than repeat those thoughts here, I invite other melanoma survivors and caregivers to read it there.

Hazel Becker
      blogging at http://www.hazelbecker.com

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Hazel, I read several of your blog posts. You are an excellent writer; thank you for sharing your story with us. 

From what I can gather, your husband had a good-sized melanoma tumor removed from his scalp last June. The SLNB and PET scans were negative so at that time he was NED. He subsequently entered and completed a GVAX clinical trial and as of now is still NED.

Since his diagnosis, you have been putting a lot of time and emotional energy into researching treatment options and helping him through his treatments. You were stretched too thin, so you decided to stop most of your freelance writing work and concentrate on your husband and your personal life. Now that the GVAX is finished and he is still NED, you might start to take on some work but you really want to re-assess you priorities and think about how you want to live your life going forward from here. One thing that's bothering you is that you can't just blithely put melanoma out of your mind and pretend it no longer exists– you feel like a Sword of Damocles is hanging over your head all the time. Your husband, on the other hand, is more laid back and accepting of things– sort of a "what will be will be" attitude. 

Is this more-or-less correct? I suppose that just about everyone here who is either Stage III or Stage IV and NED can identify with your concerns. How can we help you?

POW
          Participant

Hazel, I read several of your blog posts. You are an excellent writer; thank you for sharing your story with us. 

From what I can gather, your husband had a good-sized melanoma tumor removed from his scalp last June. The SLNB and PET scans were negative so at that time he was NED. He subsequently entered and completed a GVAX clinical trial and as of now is still NED.

Since his diagnosis, you have been putting a lot of time and emotional energy into researching treatment options and helping him through his treatments. You were stretched too thin, so you decided to stop most of your freelance writing work and concentrate on your husband and your personal life. Now that the GVAX is finished and he is still NED, you might start to take on some work but you really want to re-assess you priorities and think about how you want to live your life going forward from here. One thing that's bothering you is that you can't just blithely put melanoma out of your mind and pretend it no longer exists– you feel like a Sword of Damocles is hanging over your head all the time. Your husband, on the other hand, is more laid back and accepting of things– sort of a "what will be will be" attitude. 

Is this more-or-less correct? I suppose that just about everyone here who is either Stage III or Stage IV and NED can identify with your concerns. How can we help you?

POW
            Participant

_Paul_
              Participant

Hi Hazel,

As it so happens, I am on a Southwest flight right now on my way to Baltimore for my last GVAX treatment. I ended up in cohort 'C', high dose of GVAX and low dose of Cytoxin.

I related with a lot of what was posted in the death and courage article too. Oh and I would like to second what POW says, I have read your blog posts, and you are a good writer!

I had to jump through some hoops to get in the trial, and I have to fly from Seattle to Baltimore to participate. But the thing for me was that I just could not abide "watch and wait". The way I see it is if I do end up dying from this thing, I would hate to look back and wonder "what if?". This way I know I have done something to fight back.

That being said I wonder what it will be like once this week is over with and my part in the trial winds down too. Maybe I will get to the point where I don't think about it much and life will continue. I sure hope so!

I also know that I am not as afraid as I thought I would be (at least that's how I feel now, it might be a different story if death comes knocking on my door!). I was pretty fearful at first, but this board and prayer helped a lot.

I hope things settle down for you and your husband, and life just resumes as usual. Nobody knows what the future will bring I have come to believe that its better just to assume a good outcome. That bothered me at first, because I have known people to die from cancer who were determined to win. I didn't want to be bewildered if that attitude alone didn't save me so I thought I had to be brutally realistic. However, I have come to think that realism and optimism are not incompatible.

Best – Paul.

_Paul_
                Participant

Hi Hazel,

As it so happens, I am on a Southwest flight right now on my way to Baltimore for my last GVAX treatment. I ended up in cohort 'C', high dose of GVAX and low dose of Cytoxin.

I related with a lot of what was posted in the death and courage article too. Oh and I would like to second what POW says, I have read your blog posts, and you are a good writer!

I had to jump through some hoops to get in the trial, and I have to fly from Seattle to Baltimore to participate. But the thing for me was that I just could not abide "watch and wait". The way I see it is if I do end up dying from this thing, I would hate to look back and wonder "what if?". This way I know I have done something to fight back.

That being said I wonder what it will be like once this week is over with and my part in the trial winds down too. Maybe I will get to the point where I don't think about it much and life will continue. I sure hope so!

I also know that I am not as afraid as I thought I would be (at least that's how I feel now, it might be a different story if death comes knocking on my door!). I was pretty fearful at first, but this board and prayer helped a lot.

I hope things settle down for you and your husband, and life just resumes as usual. Nobody knows what the future will bring I have come to believe that its better just to assume a good outcome. That bothered me at first, because I have known people to die from cancer who were determined to win. I didn't want to be bewildered if that attitude alone didn't save me so I thought I had to be brutally realistic. However, I have come to think that realism and optimism are not incompatible.

Best – Paul.

_Paul_
                  Participant

Hi Hazel,

Best – Paul.

swissfarm7
                    Participant

Thanks so much for sharing, Hazel.  Your blog post resonated with me in a number of respects.  My husband ~ stage 3B diagnosed last summer ~ respond very differently to adversity, although on a superficial level we both qualify as "keep calm and carry on".  Yet while he's the one who actually has cancer, the one experiencing the treatment firsthand, he doesn't think about it a great deal.  Well, he thinks about it in terms of feeling fatigued from the drug and inconvenienced by doctor's appointments.  That sort of thing.  But I feel more gripped by a sense of wondering if and when the other shoe will drop. 

Just coming to this board today, for the first time in a long while, I see that yet another familiar name ~ Laurie in Maine ~ isn't with us any more.  Melanoma feels like the "gift" that keeps on giving ~ whether you know it or not.  It's good that I'm in a supremely busy season of life ~ we own an organic dairy; are in the midst of a house remodel; and have five boys ranging in age from 8 to 17.  So it isn't as if I have time to dwell on the what ifs.  But it's there, anyway.  That awareness, more keen than ever, that there's no crystal ball.  We move on…and yet there's a new piece of baggage we bring along, like it or not.  That's how I feel, anyway, but I know for Hans, once he's past the phase of treatment, it really won't be on his mind.  I envy that.

Anyway.  Bit of a ramble there.  Suffice it to say I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                      Participant

Thanks so much for sharing, Hazel.  Your blog post resonated with me in a number of respects.  My husband ~ stage 3B diagnosed last summer ~ respond very differently to adversity, although on a superficial level we both qualify as "keep calm and carry on".  Yet while he's the one who actually has cancer, the one experiencing the treatment firsthand, he doesn't think about it a great deal.  Well, he thinks about it in terms of feeling fatigued from the drug and inconvenienced by doctor's appointments.  That sort of thing.  But I feel more gripped by a sense of wondering if and when the other shoe will drop. 

Just coming to this board today, for the first time in a long while, I see that yet another familiar name ~ Laurie in Maine ~ isn't with us any more.  Melanoma feels like the "gift" that keeps on giving ~ whether you know it or not.  It's good that I'm in a supremely busy season of life ~ we own an organic dairy; are in the midst of a house remodel; and have five boys ranging in age from 8 to 17.  So it isn't as if I have time to dwell on the what ifs.  But it's there, anyway.  That awareness, more keen than ever, that there's no crystal ball.  We move on…and yet there's a new piece of baggage we bring along, like it or not.  That's how I feel, anyway, but I know for Hans, once he's past the phase of treatment, it really won't be on his mind.  I envy that.

Anyway.  Bit of a ramble there.  Suffice it to say I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Best,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                        Participant

Best,

Colleen

hbecker
                          Participant

Thanks to all who took the time to read and write. POW's summary is pretty close, and it really helped me to have it said in someone else's words. I would not have thought of Damoclese's sword, but it fits!

Our oncologist has been very patient with me answering my questions and helping me understand what's been going on with Robert. This last visit he noted that other caregivers have been helped by participating in melanoma support groups. I'm not really a "group" type (no book group, and old-style journalists like me don't tend to "join" much of anything …) so I'm looking for a another mechanism. I think I'll find it in a combination of my blog and this board – and the reponses from Paul and Colleen are a good example of how it's going to happen. Knowing that my reactions are normal, and hearing how others respond, is very therapeutic.

Thanks!

hbecker
                            Participant

Thanks to all who took the time to read and write. POW's summary is pretty close, and it really helped me to have it said in someone else's words. I would not have thought of Damoclese's sword, but it fits!

Our oncologist has been very patient with me answering my questions and helping me understand what's been going on with Robert. This last visit he noted that other caregivers have been helped by participating in melanoma support groups. I'm not really a "group" type (no book group, and old-style journalists like me don't tend to "join" much of anything …) so I'm looking for a another mechanism. I think I'll find it in a combination of my blog and this board – and the reponses from Paul and Colleen are a good example of how it's going to happen. Knowing that my reactions are normal, and hearing how others respond, is very therapeutic.

Thanks!

hbecker
                              Participant

Thanks!

Viewing 11 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics