The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Gamma knife vs Proton therapy vs Plaque

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Gamma knife vs Proton therapy vs Plaque

Participant
      Hi guys,
      I would appreciate any advice which would help me decide which of these 3 options is the best for the treatment of a Ocular melanoma on the Choroid. Personal experience would be very valuable.

Both have their advantages/disadvantages, but since a lot of sources are biased towards one or the other, it is very difficult to find an objective comparison for this specific application.

My main concerns are
      1. which one will do less damage to the surrounding tissue (taking into consideration precision, strength of the radiation and imaging techniques during the procedure.)

2. I heard that people feel a bit tired/ mentally unwell after Gamma knife… is this true from your experience?

3. With Plaque and Proton therapy there is a surgery needed before the treatment… do you think that this increases the risk of cancer cells getting into the blood and causing metastases?

4. If you move your eye during proton therapy, is it catastrophic?

5. Plaque seems like the cheapest procedure for insurance companies… is that basically the only advantage? 🙂

Regarding my specific case: I have a choroidal OM with the size of 30mm×6mm. No known metastases

Thank you again very much for any advice

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Rachel
        Participant
          Hello! I chose Proton Therapy–in hindsight I should have done the research you are doing…so good job! Although, I guess everyone’s experience will be somewhat unique. I will share mine. In terms of moving your eye during proton therapy, the caregivers I had made me comfortable with that–they are watching your eye through cameras the whole time, and can stop the beam instantly–at least that was my understanding. The one downside I have experienced, is the location of the tumor dictates the angle they ‘come in’ with the beam–which in my case, caused some annoying damage to my eyelid. I am a year and a half out from treatment and the eyelid skin still flakes and peals and is red with scar tissue. In terms of the success, all my follow-ups have shown the choroidal tumor to be ‘inactive’–not growing anymore. It doesn’t actually ever ‘go away’, it will always show up in my scans as a mass–I guess dead cells at this point? If my tumor had been bigger, I would have done more research on having my eye taken out and gotten a prosthetic. Hope this was helpful.
          Rachel
          Participant
            Oh, I didn’t talk about the surgery–I actually disliked the idea of two surgeries (double the chance for things to go wrong!)–which did help my decision to do the proton therapy–and also, for me, the idea of being ‘radioactive’ for a week was not too exciting. The surgery (and recovery) to put the ‘clips’ on the eye around the tumor was not too difficult.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics