The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First Timer- Biopsy Reports

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community First Timer- Biopsy Reports

Participant

Hey all, 

I have found it tough to find information online concerning this.

In Feburary I had a vulva biopsy come back with the results below:

​Severely Atypical Melanocytic Profileration. 
      ​Comment: This proliferation extends to the biopsy margin. A more aggressive lesion adjacent to the biopsy cannot be excluded. Complete excision is recommended. 

I was sent to a gynecologic oncologist. At my appointment I was schedued for surgery for an excision. One on the biopsy site and another area that was not biopsied a little further south where I have a cluster of 3 freckles. 

This just all seems like so much..Everything I read online makes this sound like you do not need an excision for aypical moles.

If you all could give me some advice that would much appreciatied! 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MrG
        Participant

Hi there.  I'm not an expert but I had a WLE for a severely atypiucal mole last year.  The belief is to find clear margins and the only way to do so is to excision.

MrG
          Participant

Hi there.  I'm not an expert but I had a WLE for a severely atypiucal mole last year.  The belief is to find clear margins and the only way to do so is to excision.

cancersnewnormal
            Participant

Typically a mole that comes back as MILD for atypia can be left to "watch and wait" for any return of pigment or change. However, with a "severly atypical" pathology, doctors like to have full margins. This report mentions that the specimine sent to the lab extended to the biopsy margin… meaning they don't have the full picture, and the surrounding area may (or may not) contain melanoma or additional atypical cells. Until a larger portion is removed, and the area is "secured" by surrounding clean margins, there is no certainty of an accurate diagnosis. It is very overwhelming and scary. Severe atypia doesn't mean you will find melanoma, but with this kind of pathology, there is also no certainty that you will not. It's an incomplete picture, and the docs are moving in a direction of "standard precautions taken" based upon prevention statistics. Basically "better safe than sorry". 

PJ3_mom
                Participant

Thank you for helping me sort that out a little better. I made an appointment  for next week just to ask questions about the upcoming excision. I am 29 years old with 3 kiddos and no family history of Melanoma or any other  cancer. 

cancersnewnormal
                  Participant

It's always good to ask questions and get as much info as you can. This is a scary time, particularly with three kiddos, aaaaand it being in a very sensitive area. Hopefully the more complete picture will show only dysplastic nevus… or at the very least, complete removal margins and a nice early catch. The not knowing is always the most difficult part, because the mind terrors always last longer than the physical scars we need to overcome. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics