The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

family of melanoma

Forums Caregiver Community family of melanoma

Participant

I am new to forum.  Diagnosed with stage 4 in March of this year.  After months of headaches, had CT of brain and found large mass.

I am new to forum.  Diagnosed with stage 4 in March of this year.  After months of headaches, had CT of brain and found large mass. Had emergency surgery (awesome team of dr.s) and the MRI after showed no other lesions and they got all of the tumor.  Had PET and found it in nodes on left side near armpit.  Here goes the history….my dad was diagnosed in 2009 with metastatic melanoma.  Right side large tumor involving lots of nodes.  Tumor was so big couldn't operate.  Went to MDA then on to Arkansas for compassion trial of IPI.  Showed response after first cycle but passed away soon afterwards as his body went into septic shock (he was my heart).  I was his caregiver and my sister took care of our mom who was diagnosed with stage 4 renal cell carcinoma close to the same time as my dad.  She passed 16 days after him..soulmates…fastfoward several months later.  My sister and I had gastric bypass surgery on the same day…two weeks post op they found lump under her arm….after CT and surgery, was diagnosed with stage 4 metastic melanoma.  Oddly enough her's is on the left side as is mine.  She is being treated at MDA…I am being treated at home in Louisiana.  I had MRI of the brain 2 month post op and everything is still clear.  Minimal node involvement.  We are (my sister and I) both BRAF positive and both on Zelboraf.  I just started mine last week…so many stories here…praying for all!! GOD IS GOOD and with us always…..

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyR3
        Participant

Wow – that is an incredible story.  Do either you or your sister have children?  I would want them to see a dermatologist now!  I've heard of familial melanoma – sounds like you are a classic case.  Best of luck to you all!

jessebug99
            Participant

I have two children (6 and 12) and my sister has one (12).  We have started the process of genetic testing for our children.  I plan to take both of my kids to a dermatologist soon.

deardad
              Participant

My goodness you have been through so much, I'm very sorry to hear that you have lost your parents and now you and your sister are fighting this disease. My heart goes out to you both.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                Participant

My goodness you have been through so much, I'm very sorry to hear that you have lost your parents and now you and your sister are fighting this disease. My heart goes out to you both.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                  Participant

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

jessebug99
                    Participant

I have two children (6 and 12) and my sister has one (12).  We have started the process of genetic testing for our children.  I plan to take both of my kids to a dermatologist soon.

jessebug99
                      Participant

WendyR3
                      Participant

Wow – that is an incredible story.  Do either you or your sister have children?  I would want them to see a dermatologist now!  I've heard of familial melanoma – sounds like you are a classic case.  Best of luck to you all!

WendyR3
                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics