The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Exposure to sun ‘may help people with cancer survive’

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Exposure to sun ‘may help people with cancer survive’

Participant

Exposure to sun 'may help people with cancer survive'

Sunbathing warnings may have been too simplistic, say scientists

Sunbathing is known to cause skin cancer – but it may also help people survive when they get it, scientists are reporting.

Two studies published yesterday showed that vitamin D produced by the action of the sun on the skin may help improve survival for patients with skin and bowel cancer.

The bizarre finding suggests that health warnings to avoid the sun have been too simplistic. Some exposure to the sun is necessary for health – it is excessive exposure leading to burning of the skin that does the damage.

A research team from the University of Leeds working with the US National Institutes of Health found a high level of vitamin D – suggestive of high sun exposure – protected patients with malignant melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

Those with the lowest levels of the vitamin D in their blood at the time of diagnosis were 30 per cent more likely to suffer a recurrence of the disease after treatment than those who had the highest levels.

Patients with the highest levels of the vitamin also had the thinnest tumours at diagnosis. Results of the study, funded by Cancer Research UK and the NIH, are published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

The findings add to the growing body of evidence that boosting levels of vitamin D could protect against a wide range of diseases, or extend survival with them. The gloomy weather and long winter in countries north of 30 degrees latitude, such as the UK, means that a large part of the earth's population is deficient in the vitamin between October and March. The weight of evidence has grown so dramatically that governments around the world are reviewing their recommendations on the minimum recommended limits.

Professor Julia Newton Bishop, of the Leeds Institute of Molecular Medicine, who led the melanoma study, said: "It is common for people to have low levels of vitamin D in many countries. Melanoma patients tend to avoid the sun as sunburn is known to increase the risk of the disease.

"Our results suggest that melanoma patients may need to get vitamin D by eating fatty fish or by taking supplements to ensure they have normal levels."

Professor Newton Bishop warned against excessive use of vitamin D supplements, however. "There is some evidence from other studies that high levels of vitamin D are also harmful. So we should aim for a normal level rather than a very high one."

In the second study, researchers led by Professor Kimmie Ng, from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston, US, who followed more than 1,000 bowel cancer patients for nine years, found those with the highest level of vitamin D were half as likely to die from the disease compared with those with the lowest levels. The results are published in the British Journal of Cancer.

Sara Hiom, director of health information at Cancer Research UK, which funded the study, said: "The key is to get the right balance between the amount of time spent in the sun and the levels of vitamin D needed for good health.

"Protection from burning in the sun is still vital. People with lots of moles, red hair, fair skin and a family history of the disease should take extra care as they are more at risk."

Vitamin D: Man-made healer

Vitamin D is the only vitamin that humans make themselves and is essential for the health of skin and bones. It has attracted increasing attention in recent years as its role in preventing cancer and other conditions including heart disease, diabetes and multiple sclerosis, has been revealed. Some experts believe the benefits of the Mediterranean diet may have as much to do with sun as with the regional food. An increasing body of cancer and other medical experts say a healthy intake of vitamin D for people in the UK and northern Europe should be five to 10 times higher than the current recommended blood levels of 200 to 600 International Units a day, depending on age. Others have suggested high levels may not be protective, and could even be dangerous.

———————– ————————————————————-

article found at   http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/exposure-to-sun-may-help-people-with-cancer-survive-1791166.html

Personal note:  Milk and dairy are very hard on a cancer patients system.  There are better choices for Vitamin D.

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        susanr
        Participant

Gene,

I appreciate and respect all your articles that you post.  I have seen many of your posts over the past few yrs.  I do believe some of these articles help some… but not others.  I guess, I have a personal interest in posts like this.  Nothing helped my brother…the odds were against him.  He was a "nature freak", believed in the Vit. D levels, oraganic all the way….not sun crazy…he had acral and was caucasian.

It did nothing for him……..It was his genetic make up.  I do feel everyone should read this and take every precaution/option out there to help them.  It may work for some…If there is a 1% chance that it can help then you need to go for it.

Thanks again Gene for the informative articles.

susanr
          Participant

Gene,

I appreciate and respect all your articles that you post.  I have seen many of your posts over the past few yrs.  I do believe some of these articles help some… but not others.  I guess, I have a personal interest in posts like this.  Nothing helped my brother…the odds were against him.  He was a "nature freak", believed in the Vit. D levels, oraganic all the way….not sun crazy…he had acral and was caucasian.

It did nothing for him……..It was his genetic make up.  I do feel everyone should read this and take every precaution/option out there to help them.  It may work for some…If there is a 1% chance that it can help then you need to go for it.

susanr
            Participant

Gene,

JakeinNY
              Participant

Good stuff Gene.

In the warmer months, get 20-30 minutes of sunlight exposure every day and go for the salmon and whatever else in the colder months. I agree about avoiding milk as it's meant for baby cows, not humans, and many people have problems digesting it after the baby years.

JakeinNY
                Participant

Good stuff Gene.

In the warmer months, get 20-30 minutes of sunlight exposure every day and go for the salmon and whatever else in the colder months. I agree about avoiding milk as it's meant for baby cows, not humans, and many people have problems digesting it after the baby years.

JakeinNY
                  Participant

Good stuff Gene.

Tim–MRF

These kinds of reports always seem to cause confusion.  Some people in the indoor tanning industry have even used such reports to claim that using their tanning beds helps prevent cancer!

In fact, UV radiation is harmful to the DNA in skin cells.  Tanning in order to get Vitamin D is akin to putting vitamin supplements in cigarettes.  

I don't expect people to become vampires, but a distinction needs to be made about the difference between modest sun exposure that most people experience in everyday activity and the intentional decision to tan.

The message on Vitamin D is still controversial, despite this report.  Other studies have shown the connection to be far more tenuous.  At my last annual checkup my Vitamin D levels were a bit on the low side so I started taking a Vitamin D supplement.  It gives me all that I need and costs.less than ten cents a day.

Tim–MRF

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant
                          Yes, “IN MODERATION” is very important. of course moderation varies by the individual. I don’t recommend that my wife be unprotected in the sun for more than about 15 minutes at a time. The interesting thing is that I, the stage IV melanoma patient, feel comfortable being shirtless at noon in 95 degree sunny weather for extended periods of time. This is because my wife has always burned easily and I don’t burn and my melanoma originated in a location that the sun didn’t see. I am outside much less now than I like and my Vitamin D levels have dropped to the lower side (due to energy levels), so I am now taking 5000 units of D3 from COSTCO a day. I do not recommend my allowable exposure levels to the majority of people whether or not they have experienced melanoma. The likelihood of Personal skin damage is very important.
                          JerryfromFauq
                          Participant
                            Yes, “IN MODERATION” is very important. of course moderation varies by the individual. I don’t recommend that my wife be unprotected in the sun for more than about 15 minutes at a time. The interesting thing is that I, the stage IV melanoma patient, feel comfortable being shirtless at noon in 95 degree sunny weather for extended periods of time. This is because my wife has always burned easily and I don’t burn and my melanoma originated in a location that the sun didn’t see. I am outside much less now than I like and my Vitamin D levels have dropped to the lower side (due to energy levels), so I am now taking 5000 units of D3 from COSTCO a day. I do not recommend my allowable exposure levels to the majority of people whether or not they have experienced melanoma. The likelihood of Personal skin damage is very important.
                            JerryfromFauq
                            Participant
                            Tim–MRF

These kinds of reports always seem to cause confusion.  Some people in the indoor tanning industry have even used such reports to claim that using their tanning beds helps prevent cancer!

In fact, UV radiation is harmful to the DNA in skin cells.  Tanning in order to get Vitamin D is akin to putting vitamin supplements in cigarettes.  

I don't expect people to become vampires, but a distinction needs to be made about the difference between modest sun exposure that most people experience in everyday activity and the intentional decision to tan.

The message on Vitamin D is still controversial, despite this report.  Other studies have shown the connection to be far more tenuous.  At my last annual checkup my Vitamin D levels were a bit on the low side so I started taking a Vitamin D supplement.  It gives me all that I need and costs.less than ten cents a day.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

JC
                                Participant

you can still develop melanoma from burns even in areas that didn't see sun; the UV damage can be systemic

JC
                                  Participant

you can still develop melanoma from burns even in areas that didn't see sun; the UV damage can be systemic

JerryfromFauq
                                      Participant

Anonymous,

You seem to have missed my main points and to believe that the melanoma oncoproteins and DNA mutations are only caused/modified by UVA/UVB rays.

1. I am supporting Tim's post

2. I have few major problems with Genes post about Vit D. (Biggest disagreement was the post should have said vit D3)

3. I never burned (in sun exposed locations nor otherwise.)

4. Burning and skin damage is an individual thing and is related to the UVA/UVB rays.

5. I believe that there are still unknown factors that modify our oncoproteins and cause DNA mutations. (maybe Monsanto food DNA mutations and/or the way modern food is “processed, i.e. PINK SLIME? and added to.)

6. I have met no knowledgeable Melanoma professional that indicated that they believed my melanoma is in any way related to UVA/UVB exposure. (I've never been in a tanning both either.)

7. I do believe that Vit D3 levels may be important and that for most people moderate sun exposure is better than supplements.

8. Nothing about Melanoma is simple. (It is even more complex than many other cancers.)

I have never seen any studies nor reports that indicate that UVA/UVB exposure is directly related to internal systemic spread nor to all unknown primaries. There is still too much unknown and there are too many kinds of melanoma to believe that there is only one cause of problems with the many different signaling paths and mutations that can be individually involved in the individual melanomas.

Many of the children in my family have had problems with cows milk. One baby brother died from the problems in the 1930's.

JerryfromFauq
                                        Participant

Anonymous,

You seem to have missed my main points and to believe that the melanoma oncoproteins and DNA mutations are only caused/modified by UVA/UVB rays.

2. I have few major problems with Genes post about Vit D. (Biggest disagreement was the post should have said vit D3)

4. Burning and skin damage is an individual thing and is related to the UVA/UVB rays.

5. I believe that there are still unknown factors that modify our oncoproteins and cause DNA mutations. (maybe Monsanto food DNA mutations and/or the way modern food is “processed, i.e. PINK SLIME? and added to.)

6. I have met no knowledgeable Melanoma professional that indicated that they believed my melanoma is in any way related to UVA/UVB exposure. (I've never been in a tanning both either.)

7. I do believe that Vit D3 levels may be important and that for most people moderate sun exposure is better than supplements.

8. Nothing about Melanoma is simple. (It is even more complex than many other cancers.)

I have never seen any studies nor reports that indicate that UVA/UVB exposure is directly related to internal systemic spread nor to all unknown primaries. There is still too much unknown and there are too many kinds of melanoma to believe that there is only one cause of problems with the many different signaling paths and mutations that can be individually involved in the individual melanomas.

Many of the children in my family have had problems with cows milk. One baby brother died from the problems in the 1930's.

JerryfromFauq
                                          Participant

Anonymous,

JC
                                          Participant

JC
                                            Participant

JC
                                              Participant

JC
                                                Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics