The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Expanded Access for PD-1–Great News!

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Expanded Access for PD-1–Great News!

Keymaster

Merck is launching an expanded access program for their anti-PD1 drug lambrolizumab. Clinical trials have shown very positive results for this drug, with response rates significantly higher than any drug currently approved for melanoma.

Here are the key points:

·  The program will initially be available at sites in the United States that have been involved in the Merck PD-1 trials. Fairly quickly it will be made available to other physicians in the US who have experience treating melanoma with immunotherapy. After that, the expansion will extend globally.

·  It is open to all patients with advanced melanoma, with no exclusion for ocular, mucosal, or acral melanoma.

·  Patients with brain mets are allowed if the brain mets have been treated. The mets do not have to be resolved, but some treatment must have been given.

·  Patients in previous Merck PD-1 trials are not eligible. This includes patients who have been in the head-to-head study of Merck’s PD-1 drug vs. ipilimumab.

This is just being announced to clinicians and I don't believe it is live yet on Clinicaltrials.gov.  That should happen within the next few hours and will include a number doctors can call to get more information.

Here is the process: The doctor will hear about and enroll in the program. The clinician's Institutional Review Board (IRB) will need to approve the program; generally 2 to 3 days. Then patients can start being evaluated for eligibility. 

This is great news for melanoma patients, particularly since a lot of PD-1 trials are currently closed.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        eric w
        Participant

So will this be on a single subject basis at first then go to a protocol for facilites that were not associated with the trial??

eric w
          Participant

So will this be on a single subject basis at first then go to a protocol for facilites that were not associated with the trial??

NYKaren
              Participant

Thanks, Tim.    I'm feeling like this is "it". It might not be. But it might!

NYKaren
                Participant

NYKaren
                  Participant

eric w
                  Participant

killmel
                    Participant

Tim,

Thank you for sharing this great info. I have a relative that  was in the Curetech pd1 trial who progress on that trial.

Many people progressed on that trial so that it is questionable how effective Curetech pd1 is.

Will people who progressed on Curetech PD1 trial be allowed to get Merck pd1 drug?

Thanks

Ann

Anonymous1
                        Participant

This is really great news, and apparently it means those of us who failed the Curetech "PD1" trial (wasn't that everyone??) will not be excluded. At least, this is what has been reported a couple of hours ago on the Melanoma International Foundation forum by Catherine Poole. She reports that "other anti-PD1" failures are not exclusions. You may want to verify that with her, since it's not clear from the Merck release.

Anonymous1
                          Participant

This is really great news, and apparently it means those of us who failed the Curetech "PD1" trial (wasn't that everyone??) will not be excluded. At least, this is what has been reported a couple of hours ago on the Melanoma International Foundation forum by Catherine Poole. She reports that "other anti-PD1" failures are not exclusions. You may want to verify that with her, since it's not clear from the Merck release.

Anonymous1
                            Participant

Tim–MRF

Ann:

The only exclusion around previous PD-1 is for people who have progressed on Merck's drug. Those who have progressed on PD-1 drugs from other companies will be eligible.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Ann:

The only exclusion around previous PD-1 is for people who have progressed on Merck's drug. Those who have progressed on PD-1 drugs from other companies will be eligible.

Tim–MRF

Tim–MRF

Ann:

Tim–MRF

killmel
                                  Participant

Tim,

Thank you for sharing this great info. I have a relative that  was in the Curetech pd1 trial who progress on that trial.

Many people progressed on that trial so that it is questionable how effective Curetech pd1 is.

Will people who progressed on Curetech PD1 trial be allowed to get Merck pd1 drug?

Thanks

Ann

killmel
                                    Participant

Tim,

Thanks

Ann

fortiz
                                      Participant

Here is the clinical trial NCT02083484 published at clinicaltrials.gov: "Program for MK-3475 in Participants With Metastatic Melanoma Who Have Failed Standard of Care Therapy Including Ipilimumab (MK-3475-030)"

Inclusion criteria:

• Unresectable (Stage III) or metastatic melanoma
                                        • Failed or progressed on standard of care systemic therapy including ipilimumab
                                        • Willing to sign Informed Consent
                                        • Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group Performance status of 0 or 1
                                        • Female participants of childbearing potential must be willing to use adequate contraception or be surgically sterile, or abstain from heterosexual activity starting with the first dose of treatment through at least 120 days after the last dose of MK-3475
                                        • Male participants must agree to use an adequate method of contraception starting with the first dose of treatment through 120 days after the last dose of MK-3475
                                        • Adequate organ function

Exclusion criteria:

• Eligible for an accessible MK-3475 clinical study or previously participated in a MK-3475 clinical study
                                        • Eligible for treatment with a marketed BRAF/MEK inhibitor
                                        • Not recovered to Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Grade 1 or better due to prior chemotherapy, radioactive, or biological cancer therapy (including monoclonal antibodies)
                                        • Not recovered from minor or major surgery and less than 4 weeks from major surgery
                                        • History of life-threatening or severe immune-related adverse events on treatment with another immunotherapy
                                        • Expected to require any other form of systemic antineoplastic therapy while receiving MK-3475
                                        • History of clinically severe autoimmune disease (e.g., requires chronic immunosuppressive therapy)
                                        • History of pneumonitis, organ transplant, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), active hepatitis B or hepatitis C
                                        • Active central nervous system metastases, carcinomatous meningitis, untreated brain metastases
                                        • Pregnant or breastfeeding, or expecting to conceive or father children within the projected duration of treatment with MK-3475
                                        • Active infection requiring systemic therapy
                                          Erinmay22
                                          Participant

This is great news to hear!!  I've had good results with Merck's pd1 so far.  Scans on Monday the 17th and dose #21 on the 20th…  with minimal side effects.

Thanks,
                                            Erin

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

This is great news to hear!!  I've had good results with Merck's pd1 so far.  Scans on Monday the 17th and dose #21 on the 20th…  with minimal side effects.

Thanks,
                                              Erin

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Thanks,
                                                Erin

POW
                                                Participant

An exclusion criterion is: "Eligible for treatment with a marketed BRAF/MEK inhibitor"?? Does that mean that no one who is BRAF positive is elegible for this Expanded Access program unless and until they fail BRAF+MEK?  Aren't there studies that show that once you have failed BRAF, the disease progresses so quickly that there often isn't time for a checkpoint inhibitor like anti-PD1 to work? Am I not understanding something here?

POW
                                                  Participant

An exclusion criterion is: "Eligible for treatment with a marketed BRAF/MEK inhibitor"?? Does that mean that no one who is BRAF positive is elegible for this Expanded Access program unless and until they fail BRAF+MEK?  Aren't there studies that show that once you have failed BRAF, the disease progresses so quickly that there often isn't time for a checkpoint inhibitor like anti-PD1 to work? Am I not understanding something here?

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Yeah. My thoughts exactly. I hope someone can answer that.

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

eric w
                                                        Participant

My understanding is you have to failed a braf inhibitor or ipi or a combo of the two

eric w
                                                          Participant

My understanding is you have to failed a braf inhibitor or ipi or a combo of the two

POW
                                                            Participant

The criteria posted above say that you are EXCLUDED from getting anti-PD1 on the expanded access program if you are ELIGIBLE for BRAF+MEK. That means that you MUST take BRAF + MEK first (if you can) before you can apply for the EAP.  

Under Exclusions It doesn't say you must have failed BRAF monotherapy, it says you must first try (and presumably fail)  BRAF+MEK. At least that is my reading of the criteria.

POW
                                                              Participant

The criteria posted above say that you are EXCLUDED from getting anti-PD1 on the expanded access program if you are ELIGIBLE for BRAF+MEK. That means that you MUST take BRAF + MEK first (if you can) before you can apply for the EAP.  

Under Exclusions It doesn't say you must have failed BRAF monotherapy, it says you must first try (and presumably fail)  BRAF+MEK. At least that is my reading of the criteria.

POW
                                                                Participant

POW
                                                                  Participant

Catherine Poole of the Melanoma International Foundation is very "up" on the clinical trial picture. She posted today that to be elegible for the anti-PD1 EAP you must have tried and failed a BRAF inhibitor. The MEK really has nothing to do with it. According to Catherine, you must have tried Zelboraf OR Tafinlar OR Tafinlar + Mekinist. 

Yes, Eric, that is pretty much what you said, but I needed to nail down the grammar. ;-( The way I was reading the criteria, I was afraid that if you haven't tried the combo (Tafinlar + Mekinist) you have to do that before applying for the ADP program. That is not true. 

POW
                                                                    Participant

Catherine Poole of the Melanoma International Foundation is very "up" on the clinical trial picture. She posted today that to be elegible for the anti-PD1 EAP you must have tried and failed a BRAF inhibitor. The MEK really has nothing to do with it. According to Catherine, you must have tried Zelboraf OR Tafinlar OR Tafinlar + Mekinist. 

Yes, Eric, that is pretty much what you said, but I needed to nail down the grammar. ;-( The way I was reading the criteria, I was afraid that if you haven't tried the combo (Tafinlar + Mekinist) you have to do that before applying for the ADP program. That is not true. 

arthurjedi007
                                                                      Participant

Awesome. Thank you so much. I tried and failed Zelboraf. For 2 weeks I did Tafinlar + Mekinist and now doing radiation then am supposed to start doing Tafinlar + Mekinist again.

Sounds like I don't have to wait for it to fail too. That is really really great news. Thank you.

arthurjedi007
                                                                        Participant

Awesome. Thank you so much. I tried and failed Zelboraf. For 2 weeks I did Tafinlar + Mekinist and now doing radiation then am supposed to start doing Tafinlar + Mekinist again.

Sounds like I don't have to wait for it to fail too. That is really really great news. Thank you.

arthurjedi007
                                                                          Participant

POW
                                                                            Participant

eric w
                                                                              Participant

arthurjedi007
                                                                                Participant

POW
                                                                                  Participant

quilter
                                                                                    Participant

what is :Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Grade 1. I searched online and didn't find anything?

quilter
                                                                                      Participant

what is :Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Grade 1. I searched online and didn't find anything?

quilter
                                                                                        Participant

POW
                                                                                          Participant

Side effects are technically called "adverse events".Grade refers to the severity of the adverse event (AE).

The CTCAE v3.0 displays Grades 1 through 5 with unique clinical descriptions of severity for each AE based on this general guideline:

Grade 1 Mild AE

Grade 2 Moderate AE

Grade 3 Severe AE

Grade 4 Life-threatening or disabling AE Death related to AE

Grade 5 Death related to AE

POW
                                                                                            Participant

Side effects are technically called "adverse events".Grade refers to the severity of the adverse event (AE).

The CTCAE v3.0 displays Grades 1 through 5 with unique clinical descriptions of severity for each AE based on this general guideline:

Grade 1 Mild AE

Grade 2 Moderate AE

Grade 3 Severe AE

POW
                                                                                              Participant

Grade 1 Mild AE

Grade 2 Moderate AE

Grade 3 Severe AE

fortiz
                                                                                              Participant

Here is the clinical trial NCT02083484 published at clinicaltrials.gov: "Program for MK-3475 in Participants With Metastatic Melanoma Who Have Failed Standard of Care Therapy Including Ipilimumab (MK-3475-030)"

Inclusion criteria:

• Failed or progressed on standard of care systemic therapy including ipilimumab
                                                                                                • Female participants of childbearing potential must be willing to use adequate contraception or be surgically sterile, or abstain from heterosexual activity starting with the first dose of treatment through at least 120 days after the last dose of MK-3475
                                                                                                • Male participants must agree to use an adequate method of contraception starting with the first dose of treatment through 120 days after the last dose of MK-3475

Exclusion criteria:

• Eligible for an accessible MK-3475 clinical study or previously participated in a MK-3475 clinical study
                                                                                                • Not recovered to Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (CTCAE) Grade 1 or better due to prior chemotherapy, radioactive, or biological cancer therapy (including monoclonal antibodies)
                                                                                                • Not recovered from minor or major surgery and less than 4 weeks from major surgery
                                                                                                • History of life-threatening or severe immune-related adverse events on treatment with another immunotherapy
                                                                                                • Expected to require any other form of systemic antineoplastic therapy while receiving MK-3475
                                                                                                • History of clinically severe autoimmune disease (e.g., requires chronic immunosuppressive therapy)
                                                                                                • History of pneumonitis, organ transplant, human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), active hepatitis B or hepatitis C
                                                                                                • Active central nervous system metastases, carcinomatous meningitis, untreated brain metastases
                                                                                                • Pregnant or breastfeeding, or expecting to conceive or father children within the projected duration of treatment with MK-3475
                                                                                                fortiz
                                                                                                Participant

Inclusion criteria:

Exclusion criteria:

Tina D
                                                                                                  Participant

Yes, this is tremendous news!

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                    Participant

Tina

Tina D
                                                                                                      Participant

Tina

eric w
                                                                                                        Participant

Hey Tim,

My wife is seen at UCLA and we talked to them yesterday about this. They indicated that the whole process for the protocol will take around 2-3 months. Curious if this will be the norm for most facilities? Thanks

eric w
                                                                                                          Participant

Hey Tim,

My wife is seen at UCLA and we talked to them yesterday about this. They indicated that the whole process for the protocol will take around 2-3 months. Curious if this will be the norm for most facilities? Thanks

eric w
                                                                                                            Participant

Hey Tim,

cyn345
                                                                                                                Participant

FYI – A Houston site (St. Luke's) is starting right away.  However, they could not get my mother on the expanded access protocol because she had not taken ipi, which her main oncologist said would be too toxic for her (she is elderly and has lots of liver mets).  Please help get Merck to open up the protocol to Stage IV patients with very short time horizons. 

cyn345
                                                                                                                  Participant

FYI – A Houston site (St. Luke's) is starting right away.  However, they could not get my mother on the expanded access protocol because she had not taken ipi, which her main oncologist said would be too toxic for her (she is elderly and has lots of liver mets).  Please help get Merck to open up the protocol to Stage IV patients with very short time horizons. 

cyn345
                                                                                                                    Participant

Jeanspartner
                                                                                                                    Participant

We are in Canada, waiting for pd1 here…. Any idea when it might be available here? Also, I am wondering if anyone knows if we as Canadians can travel state-side to get  the drug?

Jeanspartner
                                                                                                                      Participant

We are in Canada, waiting for pd1 here…. Any idea when it might be available here? Also, I am wondering if anyone knows if we as Canadians can travel state-side to get  the drug?

Jeanspartner
                                                                                                                        Participant

quilter
                                                                                                                          Participant

Tim,

Please clarify the brain mets issue. The Merck site says no one with active central nervous system metasteses can get Merck 3475 but you say they can as long as they have been treated. This is critical in my husband's case as all the tumors are in his brain. He finsihed Yervoy one month ago. Current MRI shows some tumors shrank, some are stable, and some 'grew'. Or is it pseudo-progression??

quilter
                                                                                                                            Participant

Tim,

Please clarify the brain mets issue. The Merck site says no one with active central nervous system metasteses can get Merck 3475 but you say they can as long as they have been treated. This is critical in my husband's case as all the tumors are in his brain. He finsihed Yervoy one month ago. Current MRI shows some tumors shrank, some are stable, and some 'grew'. Or is it pseudo-progression??

quilter
                                                                                                                              Participant

Tim,

POW
                                                                                                                                  Participant

What is "pseudo-progression"? I never heard of that.

quilter
                                                                                                                                    Participant

In my reading, some say that Yervoy can cause 'pseudo-progression' so scans can look worse before they get better (if they get better). Because Yervoy can ramp up the immune system, immune activity can go into the tumors and make them bigger. This is a very simple way of stating. it.

quilter
                                                                                                                                      Participant

In my reading, some say that Yervoy can cause 'pseudo-progression' so scans can look worse before they get better (if they get better). Because Yervoy can ramp up the immune system, immune activity can go into the tumors and make them bigger. This is a very simple way of stating. it.

quilter
                                                                                                                                        Participant

POW
                                                                                                                                          Participant

POW
                                                                                                                                            Participant

jjw2014
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Happy Easter!

My sister Marsha has Stage IV melanoma cancer in her liver.  She hasn't

started treatment yet but is scheduled April 28th for IL2.  We noticed a

clinical trial that you posted from Merck thats with the ANTIPD1.  My sister

has the KRAS mutation and I want to see how we can possibly get her on this

clinical trial.  Can anyone provide me on what steps I need to take to get her

DR. to provide us with the info/etc.

She's 46

Healthy, 118/ 5'3.  No other comorbidities.

Husband also has Stage IV Melanoma so you can imagine we are really bummed.  

Any advice would be so helpful as time is ticking

Best,

Jennifer

[email protected]

jjw2014
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Happy Easter!

She's 46

Best,

Jennifer

[email protected]

jjw2014
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Happy Easter!

She's 46

Best,

Jennifer

[email protected]

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics