The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Excision on Palm of Hand–Concerns about tight skin

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Excision on Palm of Hand–Concerns about tight skin

Participant

Hello,

I had a mole that developed recently on the palm of my right hand near my thumb (the one I use to write). It was removed by a dermatologist with a shave biopsy, and was diagnosed as an irritated acral junctional nevus with slight atypia. Unfortunately the base of the biopsy was not clear, so I was referred to a plastic surgeon to have an excision.

While the orignal mole and the scar form the shave biopsy are both pretty tiny (the original mole was measured at 4×4/1mm), I'm concerned that I will have tight skin on my hand.

I've searched around online, but it doesn't seem like this scenario is terribly common. Has anyone had an excision on the palm of their hand? Was your skin tight afterward?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Treadlightly
        Participant

I had a melanoma removed from the heel of my foot, which is similar is many ways to the tissue of the palm. After my biopsy, I did notice some tightness for a couple of days, but then the skin stretched and the tightness was no longer evident within a few days. If you think about it…as people gain weight, the skin has to stretch to accommodate the increased size, so stretching is a very common occurrence with skin.

Your doctor has probably treated that area of the palm in the past and should be able to provide first-hand experience of how they have observed that the skin stretches to release any tightness that may be present post-op. The body has an incredible ability to adapt.  

Mark 2A

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Hi Anon,

My primary melanoma was on the back of my hand and it required a WLE and a skin graft.  Yes it was tight after the skin graft– especially because it took awhile to heal and I didn't use it much then.  But it didn't take long to stretch out once it was healed and I was using it again.

Peace,

Julie

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics