The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Enough … Or Too Much? with my apologies

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Enough … Or Too Much? with my apologies

Participant

I am here to vent some frustration, self-doubt, and fear. I have so little to complain about in comparison to most here. I offer my apologies.

I've only been dealing with skin cancer for a little more than a year – treatments, that is. I've no doubt had it for years and years.
      The cancer sitings have been now on my right shoulder (basal), left back(melanoma), left forearm(melanoma), right shin(basal), left calf (squamous)

I am here to vent some frustration, self-doubt, and fear. I have so little to complain about in comparison to most here. I offer my apologies.

I've only been dealing with skin cancer for a little more than a year – treatments, that is. I've no doubt had it for years and years.
      The cancer sitings have been now on my right shoulder (basal), left back(melanoma), left forearm(melanoma), right shin(basal), left calf (squamous)

It took 8 surgeries and about a hundred sutures to clear those away. I have what some of you may recall my naming "The Mark of Zorro" on my back … seven inches long and three inches wide at the top and bottom. That's the largest of the set of five.

… I saw the dermatologist last week, had another biopsy, and he prescribed an expensive cream rather than more cryosurgery on my forehead (his suggestion.) The biopsy came back positive:  on the left side of my chin, another squamous.

If I have the first surgery on my face, I worry that I will face more to come in another three to six months. Will the next one be the spot on my nose, or among the brown 'liver spots' on my cheeks? Will I have this 'one only,' or perhaps 'just two,' and then, reasonably, 'one more?'

Or will I say, now, 'Enough?' Where do I draw the line  … this is on top of Multiple Sclerosis … the cognitive effects of which took me out of my career as a public school teacher. How much is too much?

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

It must be difficult dealing with this among other problems. Are you more concerned about facial scars or the emotional drain?  If it is the facial issue then the cream would be a great option if it is effective.  Can it also be used on melanoma or just squamous and basal?  If you can't use the cream then a skilled plastic surgeon can do a great job on the facial ones.

If it is the weight of dealing with these issues then I have less to suggest.  My go-to therapies are exercise and people.  Can you exercise with your MS?  Do you belong to a local support group for cancer or MS?  Is there a Gilda's Club in your area?   Can you volunteer?  If you are not able to get out much there are online book clubs and other organizations.  

At the end of the day you just have to reach down to the soles of your feet and pull out the strength to keep going on.

Best of luck.

Fen
          Participant

It must be difficult dealing with this among other problems. Are you more concerned about facial scars or the emotional drain?  If it is the facial issue then the cream would be a great option if it is effective.  Can it also be used on melanoma or just squamous and basal?  If you can't use the cream then a skilled plastic surgeon can do a great job on the facial ones.

If it is the weight of dealing with these issues then I have less to suggest.  My go-to therapies are exercise and people.  Can you exercise with your MS?  Do you belong to a local support group for cancer or MS?  Is there a Gilda's Club in your area?   Can you volunteer?  If you are not able to get out much there are online book clubs and other organizations.  

At the end of the day you just have to reach down to the soles of your feet and pull out the strength to keep going on.

Best of luck.

Fen
            Participant

Best of luck.

chalknpens
              Participant

Thank you, anonymous. I'll see the surgeon tomorrow, and I'll ask him what options other than more surgery are used on squamous sites on the chin. I don't think I can handle another full Moh surgery.

People keep giving me credit for being strong and handling what life sends my way. They said that when I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. They said that when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and curvature of the spine. And now they say that about the repeated diagnoses of skin cancers.

It feels like an added weight to stand up straight and keep taking it. I'm so tired, and I know that's to be expected with multiple sclerosis. My face right now is a mess of red flaking blisters and I know that's to be expected with three days of Picato application. I feel it all that I've dealt with is all that I can deal with.

I will ask him about other treatments. I don't think I can agree to another surgery. It just goes on and on.

chalknpens
                Participant

Thank you, anonymous. I'll see the surgeon tomorrow, and I'll ask him what options other than more surgery are used on squamous sites on the chin. I don't think I can handle another full Moh surgery.

People keep giving me credit for being strong and handling what life sends my way. They said that when I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. They said that when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and curvature of the spine. And now they say that about the repeated diagnoses of skin cancers.

It feels like an added weight to stand up straight and keep taking it. I'm so tired, and I know that's to be expected with multiple sclerosis. My face right now is a mess of red flaking blisters and I know that's to be expected with three days of Picato application. I feel it all that I've dealt with is all that I can deal with.

I will ask him about other treatments. I don't think I can agree to another surgery. It just goes on and on.

chalknpens
                  Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics