The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Eclipse-like nevus

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Eclipse-like nevus

Participant

Previous Stage 1 Mel was removed nearly 1 year ago.

I noticed an eclipse-like nevus appear on my forehead around 5-6 months back. I first brought it to my Dr's attention 3 months ago (at my 3 monthly check).. He didn't like it then, though we took the wait and see approach. 

Size is quite small, though edges are very patchy, one very dark spot and a white circle for centre.

Went back this week for my check and the mole is to be removed next week as my Dr doesn't want to risk it.

I can't find many photos online, the only thing it appears to resemble may be an Eclipse Nevus.. Although they seem to be common only in children? Does anyone know if these are common amongst adults too, or if they seldom become malignant etc?

Dr's words were "looks like there may be melanocytic activity" – Perhaps that just means there looks like something is changing in it.

Any info would be appreciated!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        stars
        Participant

The info is: wait and see. Very scary looking lesions can turn out to be nothing, and relatively innocent looking lesions can be melanoma. Your doctor doesn't know either. You just have to get it excised and wait on pathology results. The pathology report is when you will get clarity. Good on you for being proactive and getting it checked again – it's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry.

Ikeesgrl04
            Participant

Hi, what was the outcome if you don’t mind me asking. My mole that was uniform in color has changed into what looks like an Eclipse Nevus. 

Thank you 

stars
            Participant

The info is: wait and see. Very scary looking lesions can turn out to be nothing, and relatively innocent looking lesions can be melanoma. Your doctor doesn't know either. You just have to get it excised and wait on pathology results. The pathology report is when you will get clarity. Good on you for being proactive and getting it checked again – it's probably nothing, but better safe than sorry.

stars
              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics